Beginners and Beyond

Superstitious Friday The 13th Penguins (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Day off today from running and from work.  Doctor appointment  later this morning to begin my annual physical procedures.  Then off to do the grocery shopping; usually Gail does it, but she is at work today, so I told her I would take care of it, that way saves us from having to do it this weekend.  Then will pick up mine and Gail's packets for our 5K tomorrow morning.  So lots of activity for a day off from work.   Our weather is supposed to be really nice...in the 70s tomorrow and about 55 - 60 degrees for our race time start, sweeet.   Then Gail and I have a nice long weekend for our anniversary (Feb 14) and her birthday (Feb 15) as we are both off Monday.

Had a VERY nice run/walk yesterday after work.   Did hills at Fort Sam.  Had planned on just doing about 3 miles; but the weather was SO nice - 72 degrees, dewpoint in the 50s, no wind, sunshine, nice -I was feeling good and just kept going a little farther.  Ended up with 4.3 miles of hillwork done.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning!  5 done this morning.

Take the penguin to the doc Scotty for luck. Just finished my checkups this week so I'm good for 6 months!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5 and light cardio tonight.

The last time it was Friday the 13th, I had to go to court and ended up getting into an accident.  Knocking on wood that does not happen today!  Agh!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  5 planned for today - once again on the treadmill.  I'm just about a month out from my half :-)  I'm really hoping it warms up and the ice goes away because I think that all treadmill running can't possibly be good training for a long race.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Yesterday was totally crazy, with the arrival of my new instrument and the early departure of my tech, so instead of chorus last night I opted for a bubble bath.  Today might be a little calmer, thankfully!!  DH and I have tickets to go see a Christian comedian tomorrow for Valentine's Day.  I never heard of the guy and can't remember his name, but hopefully he'll make us laugh.  And my Rocktape came in, so I'm testing to see if it stays stuck better than my KT tape.  It wins bonus points for being cow print!

Scotty -- Sounds like a busy day, for not being a workday!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 6!!  Wait, only 5??

Docket -- light cardio, so you change all the lightbulbs in your house in 10 minutes or less?  Hoping for a better Friday 13th for you!!

sapf -- Have a good TM 5!!  I know some folks train exclusively on a TM, but I agree, outside would be better if you're racing outside!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Scotty: Turn your head and cough.  Mine is also coming up soon.

PAD: Good work. I hope you are feeling good and strong during your taper. You are almost there!

Docket: Say "Hi" to David for me. Lol... I read your link. It's weird to think that he is 64.

HsM: Good luck with new tape.

AFM, SRD but I will try to get in my core workout later tonight. My inside right ankle has been a  bit swollen the last few days and it won't go down and I can feel it on my runs. I don't recall twisting it or anything so I wonder if it's an overuse thing.  DW suggested running on the other side of the street or on the track. I have an 18 miles on Sunday and I can't imaging doing that on a track. Strange about my ankle.

Happy Friday.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Pengs !!!

Are you going to Book of Mormon, HsM. LOL

Hope you get that thaw, sapf.

Don't play any David Cassidy songs driving to work, Docket.

Good news PAD.

Enjoy the romantic weekend, Scotty and Gail.

We will be going out for steak tonight for V Day.   That will be great for the weight loss challenge weigh in tomorrow.

On our way for another short track run and 12 day streak.

Have a great V Day weekend.

tracilynn

I love the #13

I did 6.4 this morn with 5 at tempo. Now I'm at my first PT appt (waiting to be called back ) and I'm bummed because it's just an evaluation. I wanted to start TODAY.  Grrr.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Sapf - happylily does all her training on a TM. crazy, right? I think I would have trouble pacing myself if I did everything on the TM. I already have problems with my pace while running outside and I do most of my runs outside. Hmmm. I guess some people are just naturals (not I)

jack, hope the ankle behaves

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Are you going to Book of Mormon, HsM. LOL

Ha ha ha!!!  No, I'm too cheap and DH doesn't like musicals.  This is just a guy, and tickets were $10 each.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!!  Yesterday was totally crazy, with the arrival of my new instrument and the early departure of my tech, so instead of chorus last night I opted for a bubble bath.  Today might be a little calmer, thankfully!!  DH and I have tickets to go see a Christian comedian tomorrow for Valentine's Day.  I never heard of the guy and can't remember his name, but hopefully he'll make us laugh.  And my Rocktape came in, so I'm testing to see if it stays stuck better than my KT tape.  It wins bonus points for being cow print!

Scotty -- Sounds like a busy day, for not being a workday!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 6!!  Wait, only 5??

Docket -- light cardio, so you change all the lightbulbs in your house in 10 minutes or less?  Hoping for a better Friday 13th for you!!

sapf -- Have a good TM 5!!  I know some folks train exclusively on a TM, but I agree, outside would be better if you're racing outside!

You are turning into Scotty!  And I cannot stop laughing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Scotty - good luck at the doctor's.  I hope you enjoy your birthday weekend.  Have a good race tomorrow.

PAD - I hope you got an all clear at the doctor's yesterday.  Good job on the 5. I see the cutback has started.

HopesMom - I hope the comedian makes you laugh. There aren't a lot of clean comedians.  Not a lot of really funny ones either. I saw a Utube of one a few weeks ago who was both, but I can't remember who it was, just that I laughed.

Damaris - doesn't running five count as cardio?

sapf - Accuweather says there will be several waves of Arctic air over the next couple of weeks. :-( Since I have a half March 7, that's not promising.  You can get a good workout on the TM, if you can stand doing long runs indoors.  It's easy to do progressive runs, or to incorporate hill repeats, or to do tempo miles and intervals and fartleks on the TM.  I find that higher speeds feel faster on the TM than outdoors, but they do get me used to moving my legs faster. The hard part, for me, is just staying at a single pace for long periods.  But it's got to be good training both mentally and physically.  Given the weather this weekend, I'm likely to test out how long I can stand running in place.

Jack - sorry your ankle is still acting up. I hope a couple of days of rest and ice help.  Inside the ankle is odd.  You would think that if it was a camber issue, that it would be the outside.  How old are your shoes?  Could you need more support?

Jerry - good job on the streak.  Given the cold where you live, that's impressive.  Happy early Valentines.  We'll do our dinner next week sometime, probably.

Traci - good luck with the PT.  I hope they can help.

AFM:  SRD here.  Given that it's only 15 outside, with a feels like of 0, I'm just as happy.  Walking the dog is hard enough, but at least I get to wear a down coat and gloves.  Ben pulled DH off his feet yesterday so Jim ended up with a minor concussion.  Fortunately, he had on a wool hat and down coat, so he had a little protection.

Singer who runs a smidge

AFM:  SRD here.  Given that it's only 15 outside, with a feels like of 0, I'm just as happy.  Walking the dog is hard enough, but at least I get to wear a down coat and gloves.  Ben pulled DH off his feet yesterday so Jim ended up with a minor concussion.  Fortunately, he had on a wool hat and down coat, so he had a little protection.

Wow, you need a helmet and full padding to walk the dog!!  This is why I made DH walk Dusty, I could never stay upright when he pulls.  Hope DH feels better!!

Brilliant

Hello Penguins!

SRD for me.  I'm headed to Mexico City for the long weekend with hubby.  Running shoes are optimistically packed for a run on the treadmill or through Chapultapec Park.