Beginners and Beyond

HMer's Who Train with Handheld Water - a Question (Read 94 times)

Yesterday, I learned  a lesson well before it became detrimental.  My long run was without water and it was obvious in this heat while training for a November half marathon that I will purchase and carry a handheld for  my weekly long run training going forward.  Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of stashing water somewhere and my long runs will  be out and backs primarily.

So for those who train with water on long run, did you also carry your own water for a half or did you just rely on the water stations throughout the course?

Rich

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

catwhoorg

Labrat

I have carried water on a belt in a HM, held a bottle in my hand and skipped it entirely.

Unless I was racing in the heat of the summer here in the South, I'd be relying on the race water stations, and probably skipping most of those.

I prefer a hand held to a belt.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mmmmm...beer

With the race being in November, I would think you'd be ok with just the aid stations.  It was 40* for my PR half and I didn't drink anything the whole race.

For your handheld, I think most are made like this, but make sure it has a strap that will hold it to your hand without you having to actually grip the bottle.  Otherwise your hand/arm gets really tired, but with the strap, you've still got the weight there, but you can relax your hand.  I also switch hands every mile when carrying water, otherwise that one shoulder will get sore.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I've never like handhelds so I just put a .5 liter bottle in my pocket (just the normal "throwaway" bottles).  If it's really hot I'll carry 2, 1 in each pocket.  I've raced up to 50K distances this way.

You people have issues 

Walk-Jogger

I really hate carrying anything in my hands while running and I don't like belts with water bottles bouncing around either, so for a long out and back run in hot weather I shorten up the out part and have a water source at the starting point. So for example on a fairly warm day and I want to do 13.2 miles, I will run 3.3 miles out then back to my starting point, where my car is parked but there's also a water fountain. Get a good drink, then repeat the out and back; that's a half-marathon distance. If the temps are hotter I just shorten up the out part and increase the number of water stops. This works well for me and I don't have to slow my runs down toooo much to accommodate the heat. It also simulates the water stops for a half marathon, close enough anyway.  

Retired &  Loving It

delicate flower

I hate carrying anything in my hand too.  That said, I use a handheld quite often during the summer bascially whenever I feel I might want it.  I use one these 12oz Amphipod deals.  What I like about this is it doesn't feel like I am carrying anything.  It's basically strapped to my hand and I don't have to apply any grip to hold it.  I do not carry water in a HM and only take water once or twice at a station.

<3

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I can't stand carrying water in any method.  Though I have had too at times for example this AM, I had a 16 miler and carried a 16 oz bottle to the 5 mile mark and ditched it for the return.

Carrying that weight unbalanced even for a short time sucked.  I have done 2 bottles just to balance and that wasn't any better.

hog4life

I have several handheld, and a belt. I will sometimes wear the belt, OR carry the handheld. Sometimes I will carry two bottles, plus the belt. It depends on the day and temp, I have consumed anywhere from 15-64 oz of water and/or Gatorade. This is all for training. I've run 8 halves, and have never carried water, totally relying on the aid stations.

Love the Half

I hate carrying anything and have done 20+ milers in hot weather.  I freeze water bottles and stash them.  You say you "can't" stash them but "can't" is a word that usually just means, "haven't thought this through."  If you were going on a 15 mile run, stash the bottle somewhere around Mile 5.  You can stop and drink at Mile 5, then another 2 1/2 miles out and 2 1/2 miles back and you can drink again.  Then, you have water at the finish.  Given that your stomach can't process more than about 24 ounces an hour, that's plenty even on the hottest of days.

I can't imagine carrying anything in a race of any distance.  Hell, I didn't carry anything in the one ultra I ran (although I think that decision probably cost me 15-20 minutes).

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

SheCan

I run where its really hot and dry sometimes, and during the summer I'm surprised by how much water I need.  I've just got used to carrying a bottle of water with me.  No I don't like it, but it can be done, and if you just suck it up, it's not that bad.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Mmmmm...beer

I hate carrying anything in my hand too.  That said, I use a handheld quite often during the summer bascially whenever I feel I might want it.  I use one these 12oz Amphipod deals.  What I like about this is it doesn't feel like I am carrying anything.  It's basically strapped to my hand and I don't have to apply any grip to hold it.  I do not carry water in a HM and only take water once or twice at a station.

This is the bottle I use as well, and even when it's full, it's not that heavy.  You can fit some gels in the pouch if you want, and like I said, switching hands every mile helps with any arm/shoulder fatigue.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

I have the same 12 oz handheld, and I also switch it every mile.  It gives me something to do. Smile

So far I have carried my handheld for 3 HMs, and my belt with 2 8oz bottles for my most recent one.  But that's mostly because I'm a creature of habit and like to drink how and when I want instead of waiting for an aid station.  I know I'd be fine just going with them, but I haven't yet.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I always carry a 8 or 12 oz. disposable water bottle and put a big 4 or 5" wrist band around it.  It keeps the water cold for a while and i can wipe sweat off with it.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I have the same 12 oz handheld, and I also switch it every mile.  It gives me something to do. Smile

So far I have carried my handheld for 3 HMs, and my belt with 2 8oz bottles for my most recent one.  But that's mostly because I'm a creature of habit and like to drink how and when I want instead of waiting for an aid station.  I know I'd be fine just going with them, but I haven't yet.

just throw them on the ground and some guy will fetch it for you ...

Rich, I use a Camelbak, in order to keep my hands free and to not have to stop for a drink.