Beginners and Beyond

Deep Underground - The Runnin' Outta Our Mine 5k RR (Read 87 times)

Trail Monster

This was the third time Shane and I decided to race the Runnin' Outta Our Mine 5k in Wampum, PA. There were some changes this year such as the course and scheduling. Usually the race is held in February because the mine is a constant 55* F and makes for a great winter run sans long sleeves and tights. It also used to begin inside the mine with only about 100 feet outside to the finish line. It also had somewhere around 45 sharp turns. This year it was held in August, started and ended outside the mine, and the number of switchbacks inside the mine were reduced. Also shirts were $10 extra on top of the $25 entry fee so we opted out.

Our niece, Gabby, is visiting from North Carolina so we dragged her along with us. We arrived at packet pickup around 8:30 and stood around chatting with our friends for quite some time. I got some congratulations on my Burning River finish which was both embarrassing and amusing. Mostly because most of the people around me either appeared in much better shape or completely befuddled as to what Burning River might actually be and why it mattered.

Before the race with LAPS members Darlene and Donna

The race began a little late around 9:05. It started with a fairly steep uphill that lasted a good bit. I didn't bother with GPS since we would be underground for the majority of the run.We ran into an open mine entrance and I was suddenly blind from leaving the bright August light. I am sure I slowed a bit until my eyes adjusted somewhat but I never felt like I could really see. I had no GPS to guide my pace and no idea what to expect one week post-100 miler so I went purely by effort. I'm guessing my endocrine system isn't fully recovered because I felt aerobically taxed long before my legs even said a peep.

I hit the first clock marking the end of the first mile around 8:10. A little slower than normal but not bad for an uphill start and running over gravel.

map of the course

The second mile I just tried to hold the same effort with a slight increase to adjust for fatigue. My breathing became a little more labored but I was still okay and passing people intermittantly. Every few hundred feet we would make another sharp bend and I would see the people either ahead of or behind me on the other side of a row of rock columns. Sometimes I would see Shane and sometimes I thought I saw Gabby but mostly I was focused on not tripping over a rock or pothole in the dark.

I passed the clock for the second mile around 16:20. Still holding strong!

The last mile I began purposely trying to push with whatever I had left. I passed more runners and a few passed me. As we approached the end I could feel the warmer air and the gravel floor turned to concrete and pavement. I tried to fend off the women that were overtaking me but I couldn't hold on. Most likely I'm not as recovered as I would like to be and I pushed too soon because I really wanted a chance at an age group award this year.

I cleared the entrance to the mine and crossed the timing mat at 25:11. Nowhere near a PR but I will take it!

After the race with more LAPS members

Shane finished in 21:54 for 33rd overall and 9th in his age group. Gabby finished in 35:32 and 10th in her age group. I finished in 25:11 for 87/294 and 5/25 in my age group so none of us were able to take home our chunk of mine rock this year. Overall it was still a good day and any chance to get Gabby through another 5k is a good one. Now we just have to try to find another one for Gabby before she leaves for home!

Gabby finishing the race

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's one of the more unusual venues for a race that I've ever seen or heard about. I'm surprised it's allowed without requiring all runners to wear hardhats and other protective gear. Do the winner's get lumps of coal?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

That must have been a very interesting race.    Always 55 with no snow, no rain, no sun?  Sounds like a business plan to me.  Smile

Trail Monster

That's one of the more unusual venues for a race that I've ever seen or heard about. I'm surprised it's allowed without requiring all runners to wear hardhats and other protective gear. Do the winner's get lumps of coal?

It's a retired limestone mine that has been converted into storage. Because of the unchanging weather inside the mine it is perfect for storing valuable documents, art, and even antique vehicles. Rumor has it the original Star Wars Trilogy films are stored inside the mine. It was also the filming location of 1985's Day of The Dead. It's a really neat place! The winners get chunks of rock mounted on a wood plaque. I've been trying for 3 years now to get one. I would have had to run a 23:18 or better to get one today. Maybe next year!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

LRB

"...or completely befuddled as to what Burning River might actually be and why it mattered."

That reminds me of that scene in Coming to America where they were bowing to Eddie Murphy and the girl walks up and is like WTF?

Being underground scares the shit outta me gives me pause so as much as the concept is intriguing, I would probably pass on this event.

How was the air?  Was there a noticeable difference in your breathing like there is at altitude?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's a retired limestone mine that has been converted into storage.

I've always envisioned limestone being quarried, not mined. Many years back a local granite quarry was a race sponsor. I am the proud owner of a chunk of granite  resting on a 3-pronged stand for finishing second. The race course took us down into the quarry and up and out the far side. The race was on a Sunday, so there was no active blasting during the race.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I would be the idiot screaming "earthquake!!!" In the middle of the race.  Big grin

Just to watch folks freak!  Actually, I'd probably have to hire somebody to drop a wheel barrow full of rocks down the entrance of the cave just before the first place person got there.  That would be awesome!  I'd laugh hysterically, before I sprinted to the car to get the heck outta there for fear of someone killing me!

Randy

Love the Half

I love seeing unique races like this.  Glad you turned out to support it.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

You Rang?

Being underground scares the shit outta me gives me pause so as much as the concept is intriguing, I would probably pass on this event.

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

How was the GPS reception? Wink

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Docket_Rocket

Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

"...or completely befuddled as to what Burning River might actually be and why it mattered."

That reminds me of that scene in Coming to America where they were bowing to Eddie Murphy and the girl walks up and is like WTF?

How was the air?  Was there a noticeable difference in your breathing like there is at altitude?

No noticeable difference except for being cool and dry. A little dusty from the passage of the front runners.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Trail Monster

I've always envisioned limestone being quarried, not mined. Many years back a local granite quarry was a race sponsor. I am the proud owner of a chunk of granite  resting on a 3-pronged stand for finishing second. The race course took us down into the quarry and up and out the far side. The race was on a Sunday, so there was no active blasting during the race.

Here's a video from last year's race: http://wampumunderground.com/contact-us/our-facility/

you can see a good bit of the facility plus the awards.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Trail Monster

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

How was the GPS reception? Wink

Yep. GPS was useless but it made me happy that I pace better than LRB! Wink

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Here's a video from last year's race: http://wampumunderground.com/contact-us/our-facility/

you can see a good bit of the facility plus the awards.

That is cool! Not at all what I envisioned since the only mine I've been in was a non-active coal mine in Southern IL that had been turned into a museum. I may have to start a list of bucket races and put that on it.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

LRB

Yep. GPS was useless but it made me happy that I pace better than LRB! Wink

Um, ahem (clears throat)  'scuse me.  After running 100 miles, there is a whole lot you can do better than I!

That video was cool, and like George, not what I initially envisioned at all.  The finish times for the top three men and women show that there is interest from a broad spectrum of runners, that event is sure to grow.

Now come coach me!