Beginners and Beyond

Beautiful memories Updated with Pic of Dad. (Read 423 times)

Mostly harmless

That was a really nice post about your Dad. At first I thought you were going to say that he had passed away, so I was relieved when I realized that he's still with you!

My Dad was never very athletic so I didn't have the same example to follow that you did so I also didn't take up running until I hit my 40's.  I've run a few races with my son.  He's 14 and doesn't enjoy running much at all but we do an 8K every December together.  I keep hoping one of these days he'll get the bug but if not, at least he humors me with one race a year.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Thanks for bringing up a good memory for me.

My Dad started running in his late 40's after the doctor told him his ticker was bad and he could die.  Week later he has a treadmill up in the basement, the old kind with wooden rollers on a fixed pitch.  He couldn't run 1/2 mile at first, but worked his endurance up 3 years later and decided to run a marathon.  I had been a x-country runner in high school... converted into a beer drinker in college, lol.

Well I decide to run the marathon with him my senior year.  Mind you I was going to work with him several months later when I graduated.  My training consisted of one 15 mile run, a couple of 5 milers and consuming less beer.

We run the marathon (it was 1982) and he and I run together for 20 miles, somewhere around an 11:30 pace.  He started to struggle, I was barely breathing.  I turned to him and said something like "Dad, I can't run this slow anymore, I'm gonna go on my own and finish strong".  I leave him in the dust.

Well it was a seminal moment for us both.  Symbolically it was me leaving the nest and branching out on my own, sort of like I let go of his guiding hand and was off to the winds.  For him he realized that he no longer had to support me - and in fact that gave him some energy to not get on the sag wagon but to finish.

We both speak fondly now some 30 years later about that moment in time, when we both were running the same course, yet on different paths. 

Sorry if I have hijacked your thread, it is such a deep and inspiring thing when we connect with our parents on a certain level, and running can do that in some ways that few other endeavours can.

Nevrgivup

Thanks for bringing up a good memory for me.

My Dad started running in his late 40's after the doctor told him his ticker was bad and he could die.  Week later he has a treadmill up in the basement, the old kind with wooden rollers on a fixed pitch.  He couldn't run 1/2 mile at first, but worked his endurance up 3 years later and decided to run a marathon.  I had been a x-country runner in high school... converted into a beer drinker in college, lol.

Well I decide to run the marathon with him my senior year.  Mind you I was going to work with him several months later when I graduated.  My training consisted of one 15 mile run, a couple of 5 milers and consuming less beer.

We run the marathon (it was 1982) and he and I run together for 20 miles, somewhere around an 11:30 pace.  He started to struggle, I was barely breathing.  I turned to him and said something like "Dad, I can't run this slow anymore, I'm gonna go on my own and finish strong".  I leave him in the dust.

Well it was a seminal moment for us both.  Symbolically it was me leaving the nest and branching out on my own, sort of like I let go of his guiding hand and was off to the winds.  For him he realized that he no longer had to support me - and in fact that gave him some energy to not get on the sag wagon but to finish.

We both speak fondly now some 30 years later about that moment in time, when we both were running the same course, yet on different paths. 

Sorry if I have hijacked your thread, it is such a deep and inspiring thing when we connect with our parents on a certain level, and running can do that in some ways that few other endeavours can.

Thanks for sharing. ^This. It has brought my dad and I close and it is something we can talk about. Unfortunately, my mother has always been sort-of jealous and left out on this because she never really caught the running bug. I wish that she would be happy that we share this. Unfortunately, my father and mother had a lot of turmoil when it came to running. Its partially why he stopped. It stirs up a lot of tension when my mother is around sadly. That's a whole other thread. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Buelligan

I started running with my dad when I was a kid.  We were both overweight and trying to get in better shape.  We only ran a few times together over the years, but it did plant a seed in my head that running was supposed to be good for you.  I eventually leaned out as an adult and have managed to keep the weight off.  

Turns out those few runs were the best gift he ever gave me.  

delicate flower

My memories are similar to lily's.  I read these threads and imagine what could have been.  I admit there is some envy on my part.  It's nice to see when people do appreciate what they have/had.

<3

bobruns

Thanks for sharing your beautiful story.  I too am a "daddys girl" and have many warm memories of my childhood with my Dad. 

Donna

Snickers1230

That is such a beautiful story.  Thanks for sharing Smile

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

SheCan

That's a wonderful story and memory!  It's really neat that you have such a role model in your life.  Thank you for sharing with us.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Nevrgivup

pic

Not the greatest picture. But its memorable. I couldn't figure out how to make it bigger. 

runmomto3boys

Awwwww, Hilary, what a sweet story!   I love that pic of your dear Dad!

Nevrgivup

Awwwww, Hilary, what a sweet story!   I love that pic of your dear Dad!

Thanks Heidi! Smile

My dad inspired me to start drinking vodka. I have fond but very foggy memories of us splitting a handle on a trip somewhere in Vermont.

I am glad someone else knows about handles - I call them handle bars. My boss looked at me crazy when I told him we would buy hadle bars of whiskey in college.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

What great memories!  My parents have pretty much been the opposite in terms of running, warning me of the perils of running ("you'll need a knee replacement surgery by the time you're 40!").  Fortunately (or unfortunately for my girlfriend most of the time), I am so stubborn this has a motivational effect.  Thanks for sharing!

Dad on the run.

Love the post. Neither one of my parents are athletic but my Dad has always been very supportive of me. He never missed a scout meeting, hiking or camping trip and always pushed me to do better. I always felt like I let him down though because I never finished what I started, until now. I should have been running years ago and maybe then he would have gotten out there with me.  I am still trying to motivate them to change their lifestyle though so maybe one day I can run across that finish line with not just my Dad but Mom as well.

Also my parents have yet to miss a race, they even drove an hour with us and stayed overnight just to be there for a 5k race and I can't imagine them missing a single race I do rather it be a 5k or an Ultra, I have to most supportive parents one could ask for, we might not always see eye to eye my dad and I, but I couldn't ask for one better.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

That's awesome Smile thanks for sharing!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to