Beginners and Beyond

Another impromptu 5K RR......(New Orleans)...... (Read 47 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Short version:

25:16, not my best effort, but NOLA shows no mercy cuz I ain't eating Subway sandwiches in NOLA.  No gear whatsoever, this was totally impromptu, only ran it cuz my boss said he'd pay for it & I got tugged at the heartstrings for Make A Wish foundation kids.  Good cause, good time, it's all good.

Long Version:

So I'm at a convention for work here in NOLA and it's the first time I've ever been to NOLA so I'm taking it all in.  Red beans & rice for lunch.  Crab au gratin for dinner, among a handful of (cough) "adult beverages".  And as we head to opening night to listen to a cool little opening speech by Carville & Matalin (cable news, former presidential & otherwise politically polar opposites husband & wife team), they bring up these kids from the Make A Wish foundation.  Now, I knew there was a 5K going on, but I'm kind of treating this like a quasi-vacation, so I don't wanna run a race, right?

(cough, cough)

So, here I am up at 6:30 (that's 4:30 for my normal west coast time, already up since 4 the day before to make my early flight).  I throw on my running shoes & I'm down toeing the line.  (Am I really doing this?)

Long RR, short it's down at the riverwalk, running alongside the Mississippi River (pretty cool) and weather is decent (not hot & muggy).

I have no garmin with me, no running shades, no nothing, so I just ran.  I don't even think I really raced, but I did keep the first place female from finishing ahead of me.   She actually passed me in mile 2 & I passed her back in mile 3.

Another guy took me on the final stretch but I wasn't up for chasing him down.  I was tired, full of crab meat & beer from the night before & just happy I didn't cramp up anywhere along the route.

Scantily clad chicks in fairy costumes draping beads around your neck, w/ endless bottles of cold water were just what the doctor ordered.   I'd love to go back to sleep, but work calls so I'll have to try & get to bed early tonight, I guess.....(yeah right).

Randy

B-Plus

You're supposed to run BEHIND the female 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

"Full of crab meat and beer." Lol, that's the perfect pet race meal! Good job, redrum. Did you see the Foo Fighters? They played there last night at some club.

workinprogress11

I would have been leaving the crab meat and beer all over the race course. Congratulations on running a decent race last minute with less than ideal pre-race eating.  It gives me stomach cramps just thinking about it. Enjoy the rest of your stay in NOLA. It is one of my favorite places.

LRB

That's gotta be cool to race without pressure while being paid to be out of town!  How many pounds would you say you gained while there?

Hip Redux

I would have been leaving the crab meat and beer all over the race course. 

That was exactly my thought!

Congrats on not hurling during your 5k, red!  :P

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ha ha, Brad, ya I though of French Stewart in that movie with Bridgette Wilson where he farts his ass off in the bed all while telling her he had some beans & crab cakes & washed it down with beer or something.  Ya, definitely not the best choice in pre-race meals!  I wish I could've run harder cuz I found out I missed an age group award by 1 place. (pffft)  Oh well.....again, it was for Make A Wish & I'd have crawled the course to not have to go thru what those kids go through.

Going to the WW2 museum now (should be cool!)  Still a couple places to hit.  Bourbon St was ridiculous last night.  I think I'm pregnant. 

Add to my list of NOLA foods.....collared greens & jumbolaya.  Not down for the oysters but gonna try some more NOLA food tonight.

B-Plus, I did stay behind her just long enough to make out that, indeed, it was a thong.   (Bada boom, bada binggggg!!!)  

Randy

Red beans & rice

"...didn't miss her.  Baby got back."

Sounds like a fairly fun work trip, Randy.

music_girl117

I love your first sentence and agree whole-heartedly!  You gotta eat the awesome food in New Orleans.  Sounds like a lot of fun. Smile

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

You're supposed to run BEHIND the female 

+1.   Please turn in your DOMIS Club Card. 

Congrats on your 5K for a great cause, way to go!  Sounds like you are enjoying/enjoyed New Orleans.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

I would have been leaving the crab meat and beer all over the race course. Congratulations on running a decent race last minute with less than ideal pre-race eating.  It gives me stomach cramps just thinking about it. Enjoy the rest of your stay in NOLA. It is one of my favorite places.

Me too! You must have a pretty strong stomach, Randy!

Congratulations! It's a pretty good time for someone running without his usual running stuff!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

LOL, nice job running on a stomach food of beer and crab. I don't know if I would have the constitution to keep that down.

- Andrew

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What's a trip without a race? And you gotta sample the local cuisine any time you're traveling. Sounds like a perfect work vacation to me.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Nice job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Now that sounds fun.

<3