Beginners and Beyond

Olympic ad that won't run during the games (Read 88 times)

Hip Redux

Ad that ran for one day

I thought it was good.

I've seen it several times.  But I thought they were Canadian.

Hip Redux

They are US - here's another story about them - http://ktla.com/2014/01/29/tracy-barnes-story-of-sisterhood/

happylily

Just watched it for the first time. Made me cry. Fuck that fever!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Why was it taken down?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

Why was it taken down?

According to the article:

Under U.S. Olympic Committee rules, a blackout from Jan. 30 to Feb. 26 bans ads featuring Team USA members that are run by companies competing with official USOC sponsors. As a result, the ad ran for just one day.

(it's obviously still on line)

I've seen it.

Why would she give up her spot? That makes no sense to me. What makes her sister more worthy?

Dave

happylily

I've seen it.

Why would she give up her spot? That makes no sense to me. What makes her sister more worthy?

She loves her sister! Why are men unable to appreciate a good sob story?

I once did a 10k where there were identical twin sisters. They were like freaks: redheads (that just added to the bizarre aspect), dressed the same way and they even ran side by side and crossed the finish line together. And they were disturbingly fast (like a 41:00 10k at age 50). Thank God they were not in my AG or I would have asked for a drug test on them. Anyway, I saw them again at a HM a few months later (1:26, two weeks after running the Toronto marathon...) and decided to check their names up online. It turned out they were two famous (from the past) Quebec triathletes and their times showed that they always ran together, but one would finish a fraction of a second ahead, so they each took turns at awards. They were also the first ever non-American women to win the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon in 1983. Sylviane won first place, Patricia took second. They repeated the exploit a year later. I guess twin sisters feel like they are one unit and they cannot imagine doing something without the other.

I once did a 10k where there were identical twin sisters. They were like freaks: redheads (that just added to the bizarre aspect), dressed the same way and they even ran side by side and crossed the finish line together. And they were disturbingly fast (like a 41:00 10k at age 50). Thank God they were not in my AG or I would have asked for a drug test on them. Anyway, I saw them again at a HM a few months later (1:26, two weeks after running the Toronto marathon...) and decided to check their names up online. It turned out they were two famous (from the past) Quebec triathletes and their times showed that they always ran together, but one would finish a fraction of a second ahead, so they each took turns at awards. They were also the first ever non-American women to win the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon in 1983. Sylviane won first place, Patricia took second. They repeated the exploit a year later. I guess twin sisters feel like they are one unit and they cannot imagine doing something without the other.

Men are pigs. But if I'm the sister who did not make it, I would not accept the "gift"; I would insist that the sister who qualified take her well-earned spot, and support her all the way. Even if they are "taking turns", this should be the turn of the one who actually qualified. Also I wonder how that sport works, where the vacated spot would go to someone who did not even compete in the trials, rather than the one who came in second. Where's the story about her? Sorry had to overanalyze this & could not just leave this as an inspiring story of the bond between sisters. It's Friday night & I need another beer.

Dave

I can occasionally appreciate a good sob story.

Her sister was ill and couldn't compete. This doesn't elevate it to a good sob story for me.

I also love my brother.

In the same situation ain't no way he's getting my Olympic spot. Wink

But I guarantee biathlon will now be featured at some point by NBC so they can play this one into the ground.

:goingofftoyellatkidsonmylawn:

happylily

It's like a one minute ad. I guess it does not tell the whole story, right?

Perhaps not. But we'll find out when the Games start. Olympic human interest stories like this are to NBC what oxygen is to me.

LRB

I am as perplexed as Dave, but if they are happy, great!

Docket_Rocket

We don't know the whole story.  Maybe she knows her sister is the best of the two and had she participated she would've been on the team?  I don't know.  Some people are truly selfless.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

So I'm missing something here.  If one sister gave up her spot, how come that spot didn't go to the next athlete who did compete in the trials?  Didn't that person train for years as well?  Is that fair to her?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).