Beginners and Beyond

Blisters (Read 111 times)

Supersono99

It was suggested to me to try alternative lacing.haves em to be having luck with that. Maybe you could try, if you haven't already.

I used these pics: http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/

Hip Redux

It was suggested to me to try alternative lacing.haves em to be having luck with that. Maybe you could try, if you haven't already.

I used these pics: http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/

Interesting!

Mostly harmless

You could also try using body glide on your feet.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

cmb4314

I'm another large footed lady - I wear 11s in street shoes, but I size up to 12s for my running shoes.

If I don't go up the full size, my shoes chafe the top of my fourth toe on my right toe - which is an absurdly specific place to chafe, but it's consistent across all brands I've tried in 11.5s, and if I just add in the extra length it stops happening.

If I wear men's shoes, my feet feel sloppy in them as well.  I actually start to get hotspots on the balls of my feet when I wear the wider shoes, because there is just too much movement.

I know that Brooks, Mizuno, New Balance, and Saucony all sell 12s in at least some of their shoes because I have owned size 12s from all of them.   RunningWarehouse is a pretty good place to find them, or straight from the shoe company.   Actually, the last few times I've gone into my LRS they've had size 12 Adrenalines in stock, which is pretty sweet.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

#artbydmcbride

I only get blisters at this time of year.  I think my feet sweat more?   I switched to a more absorbent sock (Thorlos) and wal-laah! no more blisters

Runners run

Hip Redux

I'm another large footed lady - I wear 11s in street shoes, but I size up to 12s for my running shoes.

If I don't go up the full size, my shoes chafe the top of my fourth toe on my right toe - which is an absurdly specific place to chafe, but it's consistent across all brands I've tried in 11.5s, and if I just add in the extra length it stops happening.

If I wear men's shoes, my feet feel sloppy in them as well.  I actually start to get hotspots on the balls of my feet when I wear the wider shoes, because there is just too much movement.

I know that Brooks, Mizuno, New Balance, and Saucony all sell 12s in at least some of their shoes because I have owned size 12s from all of them.   RunningWarehouse is a pretty good place to find them, or straight from the shoe company.   Actually, the last few times I've gone into my LRS they've had size 12 Adrenalines in stock, which is pretty sweet.

I'm glad someone feels my pain when it comes to shoes! :P

I don't think it's a heat thing as my shoes are really ventilated and my feet never get hot.    BUT I have a pair of MV2s that are a snugger fit (not sure why I didn't think of this earlier) so I wore those today - and I definitely felt less rubbing/friction/movement.  They aren't good every day shoes though, but I do feel better that at least I'm on the right track.

Will run for scenery.

Here's a brain dump of things I've learned on this (and the old) forum....

1) Blisters form when you have a combination of friction, moisture, and heat.  So besides the fit of the shoe, you might look into better ventilation.  And stop wearing those sweaty socks from yesterday !  (Just kidding)

2) The best time to treat a blister is the moment you start feeling a hot spot.  Or sooner. If you know where you're going to get a blister, put something on it before it happens.

3) This sounds like a joke, but isn't : Use duct tape.  I didn't believe it until I tried it, but IMO it's better than moleskin.  It's cheap. It stays where you put it.  The outer surface is smooth (instead of super-frictiony !)  And you (and everyone you know) already has some around.  I already keep a roll in my car so it's there if I ever feel the need.

4) No matter how you decide to lace your shoes, try the following :  After you put them on, adjust the laces so they are loose all the way down to the toe box.  Then, working from the toe end,  pull the slack out, but only tighten each part as much as you need to.  If the shoes feel loose, tighten the areas that aren't the problem. You don't have to do this every time, but doing it once can make a difference.

5) If you're going on a longer run or you're especially concerned that you might get a blister, slather your foot with a good coat of Vaseline before you put on your socks. Seems kind of messy (and it is !) but by the time you finish your race it's not bad at all.

HTH

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

MrNamtor

Nothing i can add here except to say good luck. I'm sure you'll find a solution

Chasing the bus

3) This sounds like a joke, but isn't : Use duct tape.  I didn't believe it until I tried it, but IMO it's better than moleskin.  It's cheap. It stays where you put it.  The outer surface is smooth (instead of super-frictiony !)  And you (and everyone you know) already has some around.  I already keep a roll in my car so it's there if I ever feel the need.

HTH

Duct tape works great, but if you layer it over an existing blister and don't want to rip that skin off later, put a piece of it shiny side in to keep the glue from sticking to the blister itself.

To help keep my feet from sliding forward, because I lace for maximum toe-box room, I tie a half-hitch (what you tie before the bow) into the laces as they cross before the second to last eyelet, then do the standard loop lock as illustrated in the link above.

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                    Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I have wide feet also and have worn both normal and wide width shoes.  I find that I have a similar issue on longer runs (16+) however not many issue on any shorter runs.

I do tend to form on both feet at the side of the ball of my foot and on the side of my big toe, massive callus' regardless of the width or type of shoe I wear. I typically work these down now and then, but it doesn't take long to reform.

I have had two blood blisters for under these and damn if that isn't a bitch to deal with. Typically it involves taking the entire hide off down to soft pink skin, which leaves it very tender for a week.  In which case I have resorted to a layer of mole skin if it was particularly painful.

I have not tried duct tape, I imagine it would work well as long as one could avoid the 'peel the skin off' action.

As a note:

Inspire 9 wide - I have some movement side to side until around mile 3.

Kayano normal - no movement at all, but I do have some foot overhang...

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Body Glide the feet before hand, or use Drymax socks.  Drymax socks are awesome, and they do work.

AutBatgirl

Hmmm, maybe something like Mizunos? I like them because I have narrow feet and they work for me.  Good luck.

I have the opposite problem from the OP in that I have tiny feet, but that also makes it almost impossible to buy my shoes from a LRS. The Mizunos do have a smaller toe box, so they worked for me. I don't know how the men's shoes are, but if they are also made narrower, that may solve your problem (shoes in your size, but not too much room to move around).  Good luck - if you're an odd size finding shoes can really suck.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

Jnfr Jogs

Had a son blister terribly in hiking boots in Boy Scouts - their solution was 2 layers of nylon or polyester socks. Might work for you in the meantime with the shoes you have.  Moleskin/bandaid on the blister, then the socks. Sorry for th pain & hassle!

aplodder

Susan

2 Toms Blistershield.  It's a silicone based powder that you put in your socks before running.  It helps with the friction/moisture issues.  Running Warehouse usually has it cheapest, and you can use a discount code.