Beginners and Beyond

Report and photos (lots of photos!): Loteria 5K (Read 15 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 37th race of 2015.  Held on August 8, 2015 at University of Incarnate Word (UIW).  .Loteria 5K - Mexican Bingo - is a very popular annual event put on by iaapweb.com, a great San Antonio-based running company, and several of the participants run/walk in costume as characters from the Loteria cards.  Start time of 8 a.m. - VERY humid, especially in Texas summer, and temp was already close to 80 when we started....note to Texas Race Directors:  earlier start for races in Texas summer please!  Even a half-hour earlier would've been nice... .  Due to some construction along the normal course used for this event, the course had to be changed a bit, so it was more trail running than the usual course. The beginning trails were pretty narrow, so not a lot of room for passing, etc,; it was pretty slow going for the first mile for the middle-and-back of the pack people like me; I really thought I would end up with a 40 minute finish time today, but I made up a bit of time when we hit the pavement again and ended up with a time of 37:42.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Ok, I REALLY like this race!  So much so, I think I got a bit carried away, because I took over 100 photos!   So hope you have the patience to enjoy!  If not and you want to avoid my long-winded verbiage, you can go here for just a slide show of the photos.  I promise I will not be offended.       Slideshow: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2015%20Race%20Reports/2015%20Race%2037%20Loteria%205K?sort=2

Picked my packet and shirt up on the Thursday evening before the race.    The bib and the shirt...there were several various colored shirts with various Loteria card characters on the front of each.  The character I got was "El Diablito"...I think the folks at iaapweb.com know me too well, lol.

photo 003_zpsguxr4tzg.jpg

Very unique running bib, with all the characters..

photo 005_zpskevwrxtd.jpg

Yours truly, 'hosting' this report.   For this event, I wore one of my favorite shirts, "El Perro", which I got at a previous Loteria 5K a few years ago.  It certainly is appropriate for me, lol.  As said, I think those iaapweb folks know me too well now ...

photo 001_zpsfoz1cbso.jpg

photo 003_zps3yjbuayy.jpg

Before the Start

UIW is not a far drive from where I live, so I got to sleep in a bit.  Arrived at race site a little after 7 a.m. and since I had already gotten my bib and timing chip and shirt, I did not have to pick anything up here, so began taking some pre-start photos.

A couple of my friends who do the BISH Foundation 5K in November after the holiday season has started.  This also is a great event for a great cause, which I try to do whenever I can. Great after-party too, beer, food, music; and Santa Suits to everyone who runs or walks, so the course is chock-full of Santas out there.  If you can do it, definitely give the Santa Antonio 5K a try, you won't regret it.

photo 004_zpssgkwniga.jpg

The start-and-finish line

photo 006_zpsn4vlqkic.jpg

Cut-outs set up for people to stick their faces in and get photos

photo 005_zpskxn8z1p5.jpg

photo 007_zpsp14fjwxo.jpg

Race Day Registration and packet pickup volunteers

photo 008_zpsdtk4if5y.jpg

UIW church steeple in our background

photo 009_zpsf3enzlse.jpg

UIW stadium - home of the UIW Cardinals

photo 010_zpsdfhcdzuj.jpg

photo 011_zps2qyh9o8y.jpg

Participants, supporters, et al, pre-start

photo 012_zpspqbtpb5w.jpg

photo 013_zps6wtchpyb.jpg

photo 014_zps82vovlyt.jpg

photo 015_zpsm0gkvlwm.jpg

My 'old guy' friends, Jim and Bob....both of them speedy, and both of them in MY age group, darn the luck...

photo 016_zpsms7dufdp.jpg

photo 017_zps4o4detmj.jpg

photo 018_zpszkde28by.jpg

Yay Team RWB (Red White Blue), a veteran's group of which I am also a member

photo 020_zps1wt2spkb.jpg

photo 021_zpsgiiaj6ou.jpg

photo 022_zpstpnrlqhc.jpg

photo 023_zpsmvev3ulj.jpg

photo 029_zpsxedvv3am.jpg

photo 024_zpsiafps0pw.jpg

photo 025_zpsfxsvjnv2.jpg

photo 026_zpstfblnv8d.jpg

My friend, Anthony, has a knack for being near lovely ladies. 

photo 028_zpsz7igwvb7.jpg

Cici, my friend - and one of my 'running crushes" - and our lovely Race Director for this event

photo 030_zpsjbdk4c2t.jpg

photo 031_zpsiryqvpee.jpg

photo 032_zpsv3yg8nsz.jpg

Our Music Man

photo 033_zpsgykvgic7.jpg

photo 034_zps2bawbyv7.jpg

photo 035_zps2bsvltpk.jpg

photo 036_zpsffvfxsoa.jpg

Our MC, who did his usual great job

photo 037_zpslr6iotbk.jpg

photo 039_zpscmy7xw0m.jpg

photo 040_zpsczx2xcty.jpg

photo 041_zpsgbhr2lt5.jpg

photo 042_zpsxwbt8ov4.jpg

photo 043_zpsk26f00zr.jpg

photo 044_zpspk4hvu1l.jpg

Getting ready to start....I was just about at the back of this pack, which made for some slow going on that first mile of trails

photo 038_zpsag8adn6y.jpg

On the Course

Slow going on these trails, but what the heck.  These were actually some pretty nice trails I'd never been on before.  Definitely going to come back here and do a less crowded training run and explore these trails some more.

photo 045_zpsnarthkzc.jpg

photo 046_zpsnaroyjul.jpg

photo 047_zpshhthkisx.jpg

photo 048_zpsps6xnh6w.jpg

photo 049_zpsrayatx73.jpg

photo 050_zps97iev8v2.jpg

Yes, those two ladies with the 'cards - one shown here - ran all the way wearing those things

photo 051_zpsy6clarty.jpg

Back on pavement

photo 052_zpss1o20bko.jpg

My good friend Sally Rios coming toward me....we played leapfrog for most of the way, passing each other back and forth.

photo 053_zps1yfwmupq.jpg

photo 054_zpsorquf8nh.jpg

photo 056_zpsfb1x7vao.jpg

Course volunteer

photo 055_zpsnveinnlo.jpg

Water stop..in front of the university pool building, how appropriate for a 'water' stop...

photo 057_zpsvkvzld6r.jpg

Through the 'tunnel' by the stadium

photo 058_zpsqkkm8rzy.jpg

photo 059_zpsc7tuboor.jpg

These are a little blurry cuz I tried to take these 'on the run' as we were now heading back to the finish, with maybe a little over a half-mile to go, but you can kind of get the idea...this was the second trail that we were on, which we did an out-and-back on...a little roomier than that first trail. Sally, in that red/pink singlet, is ahead of me again...

photo 060_zpsscu8jp9l.jpg

photo 061_zps13ztn1ar.jpg

After the Finish

My first stop after I finished

photo 027_zps7yhfgwyh.jpg

photo 063_zpslspcgtjm.jpg

My friends Gene and Loyce....Gene was an award winner in his age group

photo 062_zpsptvnphii.jpg

photo 065_zpsjnamisdb.jpg

photo 066_zpstvzjcpcp.jpg

photo 067_zpsacmtucdi.jpg

photo 068_zpszepewise.jpg

photo 069_zpsadj7xl6p.jpg

photo 070_zps3rzzylng.jpg

photo 071_zpsfdaqgewi.jpg

photo 072_zpszrj8vei4.jpg

photo 073_zpsyzid46mn.jpg

photo 075_zps5q7svv9v.jpg

photo 076_zpsxyzawhs9.jpg

photo 077_zpslv8kqxt8.jpg

photo 078_zpsbya4glov.jpg

photo 079_zpsxj9z6gcz.jpg

Yes, she ran the whole way in this...wings and all

photo 080_zpsslnh3jtv.jpg

photo 081_zps8ldnrhi2.jpg

photo 082_zpsfkogfbzo.jpg

photo 083_zpsth3xynod.jpg

She ran/walked the whole way in this outfit...which was quite warm for her on a humid day like today!

photo 084_zpsrtkcrc8m.jpg

My friend Jim and his friend, enjoying some post-race popsicles that were also available...

photo 085_zpswgo3fswd.jpg

photo 086_zpsq0hzfzej.jpg

photo 087_zpsfqadi5lu.jpg

photo 088_zpsffrtwswa.jpg

photo 089_zpss03og0gz.jpg

I ran behind that lady on the left on the first narrow trails we did...she actually had a pretty good pace.  I thought with her wearing that card I'd probably pass her when we got back out on the road part; but nope...she finished in 36-something, with me about almost a minute behind her.

photo 090_zpseuccnjwa.jpg

My friend Sally (right) with friend

photo 091_zpsbsiwec11.jpg

Some of the costume contest folks....

photo 092_zpshxurbgk5.jpg

photo 093_zpsplgwoed6.jpg

photo 094_zpsqa5x9q41.jpg

My friend John, the cluck...   great guy with a great sense of humor

photo 095_zpsy9mxkw4y.jpg

photo 096_zpsjiyoy13s.jpg

photo 097_zpsqhcfxxr2.jpg

My 'street2feet friend Lana - and another of my 'running crushes' - with friends

photo 098_zpsq2p1zlph.jpg

The lady here was a course volunteer and loudly cheering and encouraging everyone on while she was out there...much appreciated!

photo 099_zpsfi7bbz42.jpg

photo 100_zpshflr97f2.jpg

photo 101_zpsbptigxje.jpg

Bart and friend;  Bart does the Scallywompus event races - also great events.  Love his events too, he also throws a great after party.  I will definitely be doing the Alamo Beer 5K on Aug 23.

photo 102_zpsn9v3rj2k.jpg

photo 103_zpsj6vn6upk.jpg

photo 104_zpspcwxvoco.jpg

Adrian, Darlene (BISH Foundation) and Mitch, co-owner of iRun Texas, a great running store in San Antonio and also puts on some great races...one thing about San Antonio, we sure don't lack for a selection of quality running events!

photo 105_zpst67fpr2e.jpg

My friend, Bob, with friends.  Bob is amazing, and a world traveler., he runs, he walks, he hikes, he climbs mountains..makes me get tired just reading about all he does!  .  .I believe he just got back from Peru recently.

photo 106_zpssx1zgzqw.jpg

Me and my pal, Bernadette, with whom I probably do the most same races in a year

photo 108_zpslxup2gyk.jpg

photo 109_zpsydqodlwk.jpg

Two more course volunteers who were out there for us, vociferously cheering us on.  Thanks Julie and guy-whose-name-I-can-never-remember-so-I-owe-you-a-beer-for-that.. 

photo 110_zpsxarjptn3.jpg

My friend, Ronnie (right) with friend....Ronnie is perpetually 35 forever; in all the time I've known her, she just never seems to age...

photo 111_zpskvyxjkhp.jpg

EPILOG

What can I say?  One of the most fun races of the year, I try to do this every year when I can.  RD Ceci and her iaapweb.com family always do such a great job with this one.  Lots of fun costumes, costume contest, great post-race goodies, and really great people showing up to do this one.  Definitely a keeper on the race calendar!   Much thanks to UIW for the venue, to all the law enforcement folks out there for us, and to all the sponsors, volunteers, etc. who all made it happen for we participants.

Next up for me:  Dragon Den 5K on August 15.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Great race shirts, bibs and costumes.  This looks like a fun one.

Brilliant

I love the shirt! What a fun theme for a race.  Congrats on #37/2015!

Little Blue

Some of the costumes made me laugh out loud.  How did the woman in the slinky blue dress run in that thing?

Fun!

LRB

I found myself wondering where was Bernadette. lol

There is no way I could run 3.1 miles attached to a poster board. That junk must've been hard!

Little known fact; I once won a costume party dressed as the devil.

LRB