Beginners and Beyond

Boston victim talks about doing the marathon (Read 113 times)

Hip Redux

This is an amazing video - but her comments at the end about the marathon.... gosh, she still has her sense of humor!   I have seen several of the amputees talk about doing the marathon next year, and that would be really awesome in a lot of ways.

Youtube video

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time.  That's the wrong way to go about getting rid of shin splints........but she's right.  No more shin splints.Shy

i really hope she can find as much in this new "beginning" as the marine was trying to communicate.  I don't know if I'd go so far as calling it a "blessing" but I don't know his story either.  I just hope they can all get to a good place where it's not the overwhelming tragedy it seems today.

Randy

YAYpril - B-Plus

She's adorable and seems to have a good attitude about it. I hope she keeps the attitude through her recovery. Thanks for sharing.

Docket_Rocket

I assumed this would happen.  That victims

would feel encouraged to do the marathon.  Next year it's going to be an awesome race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

It is great to see that she can still have a sense of humor, I can't imagine.  That was great of the Marines to visit, especially given that their injuries were probably very similar (IEDs).

I agree with Damaris, next year is going to be amazing.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

I saw that on TV. Simply amazing... I wouldn't have that type of courage and positive outlook in me, especially so soon after the events. She is simply incredible. She represents Boston well.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

Oh yes, the Marines totally rocked, too!

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Amazing women! I would hope that BAA allows all of the amputee victims free & unqualified entry if they chose to enter next year.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

sheepla

Beautiful!

Walk-Jogger

Amazing women! I would hope that BAA allows all of the amputee victims free & unqualified entry if they chose to enter next year.

I would go even further and vote for free entry for them EVERY year. Or until their legs grow back, whichever comes first...  As far as I'm concerned they're paid in full for life at Boston.

Retired &  Loving It

Goorun

I would go even further and vote for free entry for them EVERY year. Or until their legs grow back, whichever comes first...  As far as I'm concerned they're paid in full for life at Boston.

+1

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Hip Redux

Think a lot of people are going to aim for the marathon next year?   Search for "how to qualify" shoots through the roof!