Beginners and Beyond

Report With Photos: PODER 5K for Diabetes (Read 32 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO:  I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, UTSA Roadrunner, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 28th race of 2013. PODER - http://www.poderwalk.org/ - stands for Parks Obesity Diabetes Education Research.  Diabetes is a big problem in San Antonio, with about 14% of our 1.2M population having diabetes, about twice the national average. This run walk supported the cause and also had a health fair with free screenings for blood sugar levels, blood pressure, and health education information.  There were about maybe 100 - 200 participants. Probably would have had more, but the same day there was also another 5K being held, which is a very popular one in San Antonio, to this event had some 'competition' for participants.  The course was very nice, all through Downtown San Antonio on very flat roads.  I ended up with a finish time of 33:57.   Weather was beautiful...sunny, 51 degrees at the start, no wind.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

BEFORE THE RACE

Event started and finished at Milam Park, a very nice small park in downtown San Antonio, with Christus Santa Rosa Children's Hospital on one side of it  and El Mercado (The Market Square) on the other.   Since I was going down that way, I stopped at the Children's Cancer Ward of Santa Rosa and dropped off some medals for the kids, graciously given to me by local running store Run Wild Sports. Then it was over to the park to take some pre-start photos.

Milam Park is named for this guy...

photo wildflower004_zpsa385c217.jpg

...who was one of the defenders at The Alamo...I bet he wishes he still could fire his musket to get the birds off of him...

photo wildflower002_zps6e0665c0.jpg

There is a nice gazebo in the center of the park

photo wildflower006_zps1aa8af87.jpg

...which was where the musicians were for this event - we had some live music, plus a DJ - and the gazebo was also the location of the awards ceremony post-race.

photo wildflower005_zps2e2ff0db.jpg

photo wildflower001_zps0746772a.jpg

Registration Volunteers

photo wildflower007_zpsc2e2acd7.jpg

Course Cyclists, with one of the lady runners.

photo wildflower009_zps589c9eec.jpg

A couple of some of the most important volunteers...the post-race 'food goodies' folks!  Joking

photo wildflower015_zps1ab011d4.jpg

Participants/Supporters

photo wildflower008_zpsd5876ec5.jpg

photo wildflower010_zpsb529e1ef.jpg

photo wildflower011_zps2c4a2bbc.jpg

photo wildflower012_zps704bf7d1.jpg

photo wildflower013_zpscb5793e3.jpg

photo wildflower014_zpsbfe07a3f.jpg

photo wildflower016_zps181102a9.jpg

photo wildflower017_zps61fdf17a.jpg

photo wildflower019_zps38b7b29f.jpg

photo wildflower022_zps374605f4.jpg

photo wildflower023_zps8f9c455b.jpg

photo wildflower024_zpse30b5e3a.jpg

photo wildflower025_zps5522395e.jpg

My friend Bernadette and one of her "competitors." These are two speedy ladies!

photo wildflower026_zps6e31de5d.jpg

Photo my good buddy George took of me and the ladies....lol. At least he got our best parts..the Great Legs. Big grin

photo wildflower027_zpse8e99b08.jpg

OK, that's better...Good dog, George! Big grin

photo wildflower028_zpsce658317.jpg

Right before the start, there was a 'warm-up' with this lady leading, and some others making some nice moves out there.  Me, I "dance" more like "Elaine" in Seinfeld, lol.

photo wildflower020_zps657da238.jpg

photo wildflower021_zpsdbb60004.jpg

After that, we had a few words from some various folks, an prayer and a moment of silence, and then the National Anthem sung really beautifully by the lady who is the singer for the band that was our post-race entertainment.  Then it was off to the start area!

photo wildflower029_zps9e1040b1.jpg

ON THE COURSE

This course was really laid out nicely, kudos to whomever did that.   We crossed a bridge overlooking the San Antonio Riverwalk..

photo wildflower031_zps58a37e43.jpg

photo wildflower034_zpsdd2d4eca.jpg

Got to run for a change right down the middle of streets in downtown San Antonio, nice...

photo wildflower032_zpsff4140b4.jpg

photo wildflower035_zps283eadaa.jpg

Passed in front of The Alamo

photo wildflower038_zps178adf1d.jpg

A bit past the halfway mark...

photo wildflower039_zps9f9a5e9d.jpg

photo wildflower040_zpsec6919b0.jpg

Passing the San Antonio Library, which is a very unique color...can be seen from quite a distance!

photo wildflower041_zpse94d4027.jpg

Another bridge over the Riverwalk, turned the corner after that and did a second bridge with yet another view of another part of the Riverwalk

photo wildflower042_zpsfa498486.jpg

photo wildflower043_zps35bf9d77.jpg

photo wildflower044_zps8c91be10.jpg

After that, I hoofed it back to the finish line.  As I got toward the finish line, there was a kid in front of me.  I jokingly called out  "I'm catching up to you!"  He took off like a shot, lol, and beat me in by 27 seconds...finishing at 33:32.

AFTER THE RACE

And....this speedy little tyke even got a medal in the 1 - 14 age group.  I told his mom that he 'smoked me" at the end.  I thought it was great!  He was a happy little camper, lol.  Love this photo of him, glad it turned out well.

photo wildflower069_zpsef3c7a7d.jpg

Bernadette, as usual, placed in her Age Group.  I placed in mine too. Probably because there were only 2 IN my AG, lol.

photo wildflower070_zps6f3b6648.jpg

Bernadette's "competition' finished 2nd overall and was the first Lady's Masters finisher.  Lady's Masters?  I was in shock...when I first met her this race morning, I had guessed she was about 30-something.  Lady runners sure do 'preserve' well! Joking

photo wildflower071_zps914a8f58.jpg

The band entertaining us post-race.  They were quite good and the young lady has a beautiful voice.

photo wildflower048_zpsc1920dca.jpg

More "Happy Finishers" and Supporters

photo wildflower045_zps4420c693.jpg

photo wildflower046_zps34cf89ee.jpg

photo wildflower047_zps77febf80.jpg

photo wildflower049_zps85926603.jpg

photo wildflower050_zps19e42439.jpg

photo wildflower051_zps79846498.jpg

photo wildflower052_zpsbfef2b09.jpg

photo wildflower053_zps3bf8ff63.jpg

photo wildflower054_zps7ae4f007.jpg

photo wildflower055_zpscee695c1.jpg

photo wildflower057_zps0a0fcf15.jpg

photo wildflower058_zps3c0c9e1b.jpg

photo wildflower059_zps7d60aa04.jpg

photo wildflower060_zps07cd39b2.jpg

photo wildflower061_zps2dd8899b.jpg

photo wildflower062_zps4c50f730.jpg

photo wildflower064_zps69e5135a.jpg

photo wildflower065_zps15549c3b.jpg

photo wildflower066_zps886ae112.jpg

photo wildflower067_zpseb66f87b.jpg

photo wildflower068_zpscf54a66f.jpg

EPILOG

Small, but very nice event, definitely would do this one again.  That lady in the last photo, holding a soccer ball - that was one of the post race goodies, soccer balls were given out to any runner who wanted one post-race. There were also lots of post-race goodies.  I enjoyed a post-race oatmeal raisin cookie - my favorite cookie! - which was deeelicious!  I enjoyed my medal for a few minutes and then on my way back to my car dropped that off - and 2 soccer balls also that some other runners had donated - with the charge nurse at the Children's Cancer Ward in Santa Rosa Hospital.   Next year, I hope they have a much bigger turnout for this one because it really is a nicely done event with a great course.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Congrats on #28 Scotty! I bet the kids appreciate the medals.

GinnyinPA

Looks like another nice event.  You have a really active running community in San Antonio - and they do put on some nice races! 

SheCan

Sounds like a lovely small race.  Can't hardly believe a race that small had a bad even.  Anyway, congratulations on your AG win (I don't care how many were in your AG, you're still allowed to brag about it!)

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Lovely race in a lovely park.  Thanks for sharing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Scotty, I don't know what I would do monday morning without having your race reports to read...probably get down to work.  Congrats on #28 and #29.  I can tell from the photos that you really bring out the best in people and help make each event a great time.  Great work and keep them coming!

**Ask me about streaking**

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Awesome work Scottydawg! Diabetes is a subject that's close to my heart. And my pancreas. And my kidneys....