Beginners and Beyond

FRIdaily Penguins Celebrating the 4th on the Fifth (Read 26 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) ShyShyShy

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning....Heading to the health club before it gets crowded.

Hope everyone had a great 4th.

ps: any scones left?

Docket_Rocket

morning!  SRD for me.

Jerry, how is the hip doing?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Howdy!  Today's one of those work days where nobody expects much, but I still have to be available in case a customer needs something.  I got up early and did some run/walk with the C25K group.  So far, so good.  Then, I busted out 4 miles.  It felt so good to run fully hydrated again :-)  I'm going to run the same route again tonight.

Jerry - I hope the hip is doing well, and that you had a great 4th of July.

Docket - Enjoy the rest day.  Hope your Independence Day was awesome.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

We had quite a bit of flash flooding yesterday from all the rain. Some places reported up to 10 inches, but most area got 6-7. I haven't heard of anyone being hurt, so that's good. It's still raining off and on, but not too bad.

I'm going back to work tonight, so I should probably go out to run a few before nap time.

Has Jimmy visited lately?

hog4life

Hi ya awood!

Docket_Rocket

I am at the office, the court is closed, there is no internet (they are doing some updates).  Why am I even here since I cannot do anything?

Howdy!  Today's one of those work days where nobody expects much, but I still have to be available in case a customer needs something.  I got up early and did some run/walk with the C25K group.  So far, so good.  Then, I busted out 4 miles.  It felt so good to run fully hydrated again :-)  I'm going to run the same route again tonight.

Jerry - I hope the hip is doing well, and that you had a great 4th of July.

Docket - Enjoy the rest day.  Hope your Independence Day was awesome.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mitch - No sign of Jimmy.  Does your mill have issues with flooding.  I know of a couple that don't have the best roads, and they get small lakes in no time.  It makes it really difficult for my little Versa to get in and out.

Docket - Sounds like your day is going to be super productive.  I'll try to reach a few people.  If I can get ahold of ANYBODY, I'll probably offer to bring their entire department lunch and just hang out there all day.  Believe it or not, my boss would love that.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Bin Running

Morning everyone.

Mitch, stay safe.

Awood, enjoy the slow day at work. When's your FM starting?

Jerry, how's the hip?

2 slow miles with kinvara. Didn't bring a watch. Just keeping it very easy.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Oh, it's already started Big grin

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm working today, boo.  But I did just put off one set of experiments to Monday, so that gives me time to do the other set without rushing it, so that's all good.  Then I have to leave work early because our chorus is working Fridays After Five in Charlottesville.  We're handling the beer truck -- not my fave, but it's all for the chorus, and DH is working with me, so it's all good.  And work is DESERTED today!!

Jerry -- hope the gym was fun!

Docket -- enjoy your SRD!!

Awood -- water is our friend ...

hog -- we actually had sun yesterday, it was amazing!  I hung out my laundry!

Bin -- woo-hoo for your chillin miles!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Awood, no on the mill flooding. We are on the south side of the Tennessee River, yet even being close, no issues in the mill. There was a guy that posted a pic to FB of flooding, but I think it was in/near the scrap yard or coil yard. He operates a loco, so somewhere besides "in" the mill.

So I just finished 4.35 miles, OA pace was 10:35, did some walking, and some fartleks at 5:30 pace. Too bad I can't hold that for a mile or more, haha. About to hit the sack for a nap, I start the dreaded nightshift tonight.

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

Water running workout for me sometime soonish.. getting hungry and I'd rather do it before lunch than after (water pressure plus aquajogging belt on my full stomach = naht good).

I made the mistake of turning leftover sugar cookies into cookie truffles yesterday.. Throw all the stale cookies you have into a food processor and turn them into sand, mix with softened cream cheese and form into balls, let them harden in the fridge, and dip in melted chocolate. I sprinkled a little coconut on the top too. They were amazing and I'm bringing the rest to my parents' cookout tomorrow because I will eat them all by myself and regret my life choices if I don't! :P

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

HsM - You're right.  You're right.  I just forget sometimes.  Good luck with the experiments.  Are you saving the world?

Mitch - That stinks about night shift, but I'm glad you don't have to drive through any small ponds on your way in.  Every time I have to drive through standing water inside of a mill I wonder several things.  A)  What color is the mud on my car going to be this time (depends on the area of the mill). B)  How deep is it?  C)  What's at the bottom of it?  I have blown a tire at a mill.

Lauren - Those sounds amazing.  I would have to get them out of the house ASAP!  LOL

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

hog4life

HsM - You're right.  You're right.  I just forget sometimes.  Good luck with the experiments.  Are you saving the world?

Mitch - That stinks about night shift, but I'm glad you don't have to drive through any small ponds on your way in.  Every time I have to drive through standing water inside of a mill I wonder several things.  A)  What color is the mud on my car going to be this time (depends on the area of the mill). B)  How deep is it?  C)  What's at the bottom of it?  I have blown a tire at a mill.

Lauren - Those sounds amazing.  I would have to get them out of the house ASAP!  LOL

I always fear getting flats. I have to drive on a short dirt/gravel road with scrap pieces on it to our parking area. The only flat I got, was one after the tornados dropped all the debris every where. The worse thing we got is twofold.

First, they put this tree sap emulsion crap on the dirt roads to hold down the dust down. It's very hard to clean, but the bug n tar stuff works okay.

Second, they put this slag dust from the EAF on the roads, and when it gets wet, it sets up like concrete. I went all last winter without washing my truck, won't be doing that again. I still have spots on the nerf bar and under the fender wells.