Beginners and Beyond

Tried but true Sunday Penguins (Read 324 times)

Zelanie

Kristin- What a great feeling!  I'm so glad you chose to go back to the old park for your run today so that you could see your progress!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Wasn't as cold as we thought, so the 5 turned into 7 at 10:11 pace.  Overdressed a little, but it was really nice running on the bike path.  Lots of runners today.

Kristin, congrats on the 5.  6 is next?

hog4life

Hey there gang, I'll catch some personals later. I hope to get 8 in here later, about to head out with DW and grandkids for some fall photos. Mitch
        amandasmiles

Hi Penguins!  3 miles in the cold this morning.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens. The ITB is better and I am going out now for another easy test. Later tonight I am going with two friends of 35 years to the USC basketball game.

JBJ: How did you paste your splits on there? The way to post pictures here is different than RWOL. Maybe that's a good thing?

Hope all is well with everyone.

Dad on the run.

Hi Pens. The ITB is better and I am going out now for another easy test. Later tonight I am going with two friends of 35 years to the USC basketball game.

JBJ: How did you paste your splits on there? The way to post pictures here is different than RWOL. Maybe that's a good thing?

Hope all is well with everyone.

I just copied and pasted my splits from the garmin website.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Jerry- I'm following the Hal Higdon Novice 10K plan. It is 8 weeks long but I had 9 weeks between when I started and when my race is (12/16). I wanted to be able to repeat a week if I needed to, but so far I haven't.... the plan has me doing a 5.5 run, and then the 10K. I think I am going to repeat this week and do another 5 next weekend, then 5.5 the next, and then my race will be the next weekend. Or.....would it be more beneficial to repeat 5.5 since that is a closer distance to the race distance? Or should I do 5.5 next week, 6 the next, and then my race...or would doing a 6 mile run the weekend before the 10K be too much? What do you guys think?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Shakedown Street

Jerry- I'm following the Hal Higdon Novice 10K plan. It is 8 weeks long but I had 9 weeks between when I started and when my race is (12/16). I wanted to be able to repeat a week if I needed to, but so far I haven't.... the plan has me doing a 5.5 run, and then the 10K. I think I am going to repeat this week and do another 5 next weekend, then 5.5 the next, and then my race will be the next weekend. Or.....would it be more beneficial to repeat 5.5 since that is a closer distance to the race distance? Or should I do 5.5 next week, 6 the next, and then my race...or would doing a 6 mile run the weekend before the 10K be too much? What do you guys think?

What is your milage like?What are your goals? how many 10ks have you ran? I personally would not sweat a 6m run prior to a 10K, but it all depends on what your used to.

Regardless, make that 6m the week before SLOW. Difference between 5.5 and 5 is minor. Listen to your bod!

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Shakedown Street

ok, back from the 15miler (14.7ish)

I tried

3mile wu

1mile@sub8

3miles slow

1mile@sub8

3miles slow

1mile@sub8 (GI not feeling hot-or actually feeling hot*)

3miles cool off

I have never really tried speed work other than a few thrown in strides in shorter runs, so with HM #3 coming up in 2 weeks felt like this would be the last semi-hard effort prior to. Got my 3 miles at sub 8, last one was a serious find myself moment with the afterthought that doing this workout after thanksgiving was not really the smartest decision I have made (see * above).

off to the attic for xmas tree and lights

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

What is your milage like?What are your goals? how many 10ks have you ran? I personally would not sweat a 6m run prior to a 10K, but it all depends on what your used to.

Regardless, make that 6m the week before SLOW. Difference between 5.5 and 5 is minor. Listen to your bod!

I'm a new runner, and this will be my first 10K. I have run two 5Ks. When I started Hal Higdon's 10K program 6 weeks ago, my longest run to date was a little over 3 miles....so every long run of the program has been my longest distance to date with the exception of week 1, which was 3 miles, and the plan had me repeat 4 miles. Here is the plan:

WeekMonTueWedThuFriSatSun
                      1 stretch & strength 2.5 m run 30 min cross 2.0 m run + strength Rest 40 min cross 3 m run
                      2 stretch & strength 2.5 m run 30 min cross 2.0 m run + strength Rest 40 min cross 3.5 m run
                      3 stretch & strength 2.5 m run 35 min cross 2.0 m run + strength Rest 50 min cross 4 m run
                      4 stretch & strength 3 m run 35 min cross 2.0 m run + strength Rest 50 min cross 4 m run
                      5 stretch & strength 3 m run 40 min cross 2.0 m run + strength Rest 60 min cross 4.5 m run
                      6 stretch & strength 3 m run 40 min cross 2.0 m run + strength Rest 60 min cross 5 m run
                      7 stretch & strength 3 m run 45 min cross 2.0 m run + strength Rest 60 min cross 5.5 m run
                      8 stretch & strength 3 m run 30 min cross 2.0 m run + strength Rest Rest 10-K Race

I have followed the milage exactly so far, but I have another week to play with because I started it with 9 weeks before my race rather than 8 weeks. I did this because I was running a Turkey Trot 5K during week 6 (this week) and thought I may not be up to 5 miles the weekend after the race (aka today) and that I wanted the option of doing 4.5 again, but I ended up feeling great during my run today and just went for 5. Soooo now not sure which distance I should repeat.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

<colgroup span="4"></colgroup> <tfoot> </tfoot>

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

Summary 46:13.5 5.42 8:32
                        1 8:27.3 1.00 8:27
                        2 7:59.6 1.00 8:00
                        3 8:50.7 1.00 8:51
                        4 8:40.0 1.00 8:40
                        5 8:30.2 1.00 8:30
                        6 3:45.8 0.42 8:57

Thanks, JBJ.

Traci or anyone with ITB knowledge: I just did the 5 miles above and I felt the ITB. It didn't "hurt" and I could run through it with no trouble. My concern is that I still felt it. Is this ok? It seems to make sense to keep up with the stretching and rolling. Injuries stink. I have only taken off about ten days and I feel out of shape already. I have a tough 5k this weekend on a cross country course, no streets or roads. There are three BIG hills. I am hoping to get 27:00 or better. If you are bored, you can look at the course here.  There are even some short videos so you can get an idea of how the course is run. The difference is that my race is a 5k and the XC races are 2.93 miles. That means the finish will be after running 3/4 of a lap on the stadium track.

Philliefan33

Hi Penguins.  I still haven'tattached my avatar...hopefully I'll get it done tomorrow.

After three solid weeks at 25+ miles, I'm taking a cutback week. So no running today, and I only plan to do a total of 18 miles this week  I feel like my legs need some rest, then I'll bump up the mileage a little next week. 

Both girls headed back to college/grad school today Sad

SheCan

Morning everyone,

I'm playing around at finding a home over here.  YOu all seem very nice, and closer to my pace.  

I usually take Sundays off, but my neighbor asked me to do a run with her today, and we got in about 9-1/2.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Hi gang!

It's a rest day for me.

Kristin - nice job on the 5 miler! I just recently ran that far for the first time too. I'm sorry I don't have any smart advice about the 10K.

Keep up the great miles, everyone!

Shakedown Street

kristin10185-in your shoes, I would just repeat that last week. I think 5, 6, or 7 miles for a LR the week prior at a SLOW pace would be good. Don't go out the week before and try to kill it. If it were me, I would go maybe a little longer than my current race a couple weeks early just so I am mentally confident. When I had ran my first 10K I was routinely running 6-4-6 during the week and 4-and 8 to 10 on the weekend. I think you will be fine as you don't go out trying to be superwoman the week before speed wise. Good LUCK!!!! Please take my opinion as me being pretty new (<1 yr running) as well.

Jack-I have been riding my bike for my ITB issues after my LR. Not a hard ride (usually just a quick 10-20 miles)...and it has done wonders! Dunno why, but it works.