Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: 5K Crawdaddy Dash (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 26th race of 2014.  The 5K Crawdaddy Dash is associated with the annual Crawfish Festival held in New Braunfels, Texas, about a 30 minute drive from San Antonio.  The festival was held at the Comal County Fairgrounds.  All 5K participants got an entry ticket in their goody bag to the festival.  A nice turn-out for this event, 351 finishers.  Cloudy, overcast day, with rain threatening that never happened, and VERY humid, start time was 9 a.m. and the temp was about 71 degrees.  I managed to finish in 34:48.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

The start/finish area was near the back of the Fairgrounds and the course took us through a very nice adjacent neighborhood.  It was pretty flat except for a downhill at the start and a short uphill that followed right after the downhill.

Before The Start

Me with one of the volunteers

Our MC, David, with Sherry of Athlete Guild - one of my 'running crushes' - showing off the race t-shirt all participants got

David and Scott Wood, co-owner of AthleteGuild that did their usual great job of course set-up, race timing, etc.

Pre-start participants, volunteers, etc.

Yes...the dog and the lady beat me in to the finish

On The Course

VERY humid now and kinda hazy...

After The Race

Cold beer after that 94% humidity run really hit the spot.

"Happy Finishers" et al....

I told these ladies I needed to get a photo with them since I was wearing tutu underwear... 

I jokingly told this guy he would be the 'eye candy' for the ladies on my running forum.  So here you go, ladies.

The Crawfish Guy was very popular

This one came out a little hazy...I think my camera got tired...sorry guys...

EPILOG

I would definitely do this one again.  Very nice and fun event.   Especially if you like crawfish, then you can go enjoy the festival after the race and eat crawfish to your heart's content.  I did not do that, however.  I had another race to do on Saturday evening - the San Antonio RoadRunners Fiesta Fandango, so I went home and showered and took a nice nap in my chair until it was time for me to go that my next event.  Look for the report for that one on my blog www.scottydogreports.com

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

It sure looked very humid and that beer must have felt real good after the race!

Scotty, did you notice how #154 (25th picture, if I counted right...) looks like he's ready to bite you? What was the story with him? Jeeze... lol... And I think the crawfish guy was a very good sport for doing this job. You'd have to pay me a LOT of money for me to wear that outfit and let people take my picture beside other laughing people. 

Congratulations on your race!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

A cold one after a hot race probably hit the spot for a lot of runners who are partaking.  Where's the crawfish to bite some heads off?

Good job Scotty!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

GinnyinPA

Looks like a hilly course for such a hot day.  I'm glad you had fun, and that they had a cold brew to soothe the pain.

Were there crawfish to eat after the race, or only at the festival itself?

LRB

I have never seen Michelob Ultra in a tall boy.  That was my brew a million years ago when I was obsessed with counting calories.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Were there crawfish to eat after the race, or only at the festival itself?

At the festival, which was right behind the race site. All race participants got a free entry into the festival.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Beer, crawfish, a race and a couple of guys with the best last name in the world (Wood)....I would have been right at home.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013