Beginners and Beyond

Thirsty Thursday Penguins (Read 26 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Actually not thirsty Thursday for me, I have conferences until late tonight.

But I am running with the kids from my school who signed up for track club this morning.  Another teacher is really running it, but I am taking on Thursday mornings.  Just 30 minutes light running or walking for the kids right before school starts.  Hoping it goes well!

Last night's track workout was great.  Especially since it's the last one before my race. Wink  It was tough, but not too tough.

What is the rest of the flock up today?

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  12.25 miles done already as I am working from home today.

Sammy and Rubio are at the vet getting their annual checkup.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning.

I was thinking of Scottydog last night when I heard the Ft. Hood news.  I don't think that's his workplace, but does anyone know for sure?  Scottydog, are you okay???

No running for me today, as I've done three days in a row and that's enough for my legs at this point.  I'll do yoga tonight.

Zel -- it's cool that you can help teach the kids how to run.  If any of them were around to remember the old you, you will be good inspiration for them.  Or do little kids even notice physical changes in teachers*?

DR -- great miles!

*Reminds me of when an acquaintance (fellow soccer mom) got breast implants.  It was very obvious.  One of the other moms asked if she worried about the message she was possibly sending her daughters, and "new boob" Mom replied, "Oh, they don't know".  

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Phil, DR, and Zel and Pengs.  Finally have Ortho Surgeon appointment this afternoon.  Hope he can figure it out and fix this old knee.

I think we are going to see The Grand Budapest Hotel today.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Zel: Good job with the kids before school. What is your next race? Don't forget: "I am a marathon runner, I must run." LOL...

D: Man, 12 miles? You are certainly right back at it. Impressive!

PF: Scotty works in San Antonio. Enjoy the rest day.

Jerry : Let's hope for some good news from the doc.

As for me, I will likely take a rest day. That "Marathon Runner" video hit too close to home so I don't think a day off here and there will hurt. Also, I did a fairly hard 7 mile tempo run last night, so...  Some miles tomorrow and we are racing a 5K on Saturday. Today our dog, Chloe, goes to the vet because her ears have been bothering her.

See ya.

on my way to badass

Morning Penguins!

Z- Congrats on the track workout!

DR- Great miles!

Phillie- Scotty works at the U of Texas in San Antonio I think.

Jery- I hope you get some answers.

Jack- beat me to it.  My dog has itchy ears.  Vet says allergies.

AFM- I never got any miles yesterday.  It's supposed to be really nice today so I am going to get in my LR.  8-9 miles for me today.  I may even have bare legs.  Woot!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

hog4life

Jerry, good luck at the appointment.

Zel, your workouts are rock solid!

Phillie, that kind of made me snicker.

Damaris, nice run. Hope the check doesn't bring any new surprises.

Hiya Jack and Stone

I got in a 1.7 mile walk with my wife and Bella. I am actually starting to get a little nervous about Saturday's race. First time feeling this way in quite a while. At least I'll get to see/meet Awood, and 1400 more friends!

On a sorrow note, our nephew was in an accident early this more, had 3 friends in the car, 2 were banged up with stitches, one with busted up hip, and one didn't make it. Things are going to be hectic and messy for my wife's sister and MIL/FIL. The truck was totaled and belonged to FIL, not sure about car insurance, nephew doesn't have health insurance

Nana_

Hi Everyone,

I just found this forum today.

Or maybe I found it a month ago and forgot about it..?..

I'm a Beginner, not "Beyond" yet.  Doing a BaseBuilding 32-week couch-to-HM.

I train at those lower zone heart rate and do a lot of walking in my "runs" still.

Nice meeting you all !

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi Everyone,

I just found this forum today.

Or maybe I found it a month ago and forgot about it..?..

I'm a Beginner, not "Beyond" yet.  Doing a BaseBuilding 32-week couch-to-HM.

I train at those lower zone heart rate and do a lot of walking in my "runs" still.

Nice meeting you all !

Welcome Jo.  Congrats on getting off the couch.  You have an ambitious plan.

Sorry about your nephew Mitch.  Not a good week for Penguin nephews.  They might send our nephew home so he can lay still for the next 3 months.  Looks like he will need 24 hour care.  Hope he has good insurance.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Took yesterday off from running due to an achy left shin and right Achilles. I have a new theory as to why my lower legs take such a beating after reading this (Traci where the heck are you?! Maybe it'll help you out too!): http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/its-all-in-the-hips?page=single I don't think I've ever had my glutes firing properly while running and I know for a fact that I hinge at the hips more than I should, so I think that screws up my landing and puts undue stress on calves/shins.

I added a whole lot of barbell glute bridges to my lifting routine yesterday and warmed up with a couple of the unweighted single-leg variety before running this morning, and I can kind of force my hips and glutes to do what they're supposed to do while running if I think *really* hard about it. My butt is sore but my calves feel reasonably loose after 5 miles, so that's good, maybe? I'm also going to try sitting down less during the day to prevent bad posture/tight hip flexors.

Zel - good job w/ the workout! Can't wait to hear how your race goes Smile

D - nice miles! You have to have had the easiest/fastest post-surgery comeback of any runner ever!

Phillie - enjoy the yoga!

Jerry - hope the appointment goes well. Enjoy the movie! I love Wes Anderson's films.

Jack - rest days are good, for sure. I watched that video yesterday while rolling out my Achilles and putting on compression sleeves and felt a little better about taking a URD.

Stone - I wore shorts for my LR last week and it was glorious Big grin Was too cold for shorts this morning but I only had to wear one shirt, so I'll take it. Enjoy the nice weather!

How sad Mitch, my condolences to your nephew and family Sad

Welcome Jo_!

Docket_Rocket

Good morning.

I was thinking of Scottydog last night when I heard the Ft. Hood news.  I don't think that's his workplace, but does anyone know for sure?  Scottydog, are you okay???

No running for me today, as I've done three days in a row and that's enough for my legs at this point.  I'll do yoga tonight.

Zel -- it's cool that you can help teach the kids how to run.  If any of them were around to remember the old you, you will be good inspiration for them.  Or do little kids even notice physical changes in teachers*?

DR -- great miles!

*Reminds me of when an acquaintance (fellow soccer mom) got breast implants.  It was very obvious.  One of the other moms asked if she worried about the message she was possibly sending her daughters, and "new boob" Mom replied, "Oh, they don't know".  

Ha.  Denial.  You can tell who got breast surgery easily.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Jack, yeah, my miles are back.  The speed?  NOT!

Jerry, good luck with the doctor!

Z, nice track workout.

Stone, enjoy the 8-9.

Mitch, sorry to hear about your nephew and his friends.  Glad he is OK.

Jo, welcome!  Don't worry about the Beyond part.  We used to be the Beginner's forum in Runner's World so we added the Beyond here to specify that we had moved on.  Oh, and because we talk about everything apart from running.  Anything goes.

Lauren, sorry to hear the shins are still hurting.  Hubby switched back to Galloway and since then, his shins have been OK.  He uses 5/1 ratio.

I am having Chinese for lunch.  Yum.

Vet visit went OK.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Crazy crazy crazy day.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Zelanie-- Running with the kids from the track club sounds so fun!  You're such a good role model.  Yay@ your own track workout going well.  Now you can really start enjoying your taper.

Docket- great job on your 12+ mile run today, you amazing thang, you!  What's your next race coming up?

Philliefan-- LOL@ your story, but I also remember my kids when they were teenagers, and many of their friends.  So many of them were self absorbed and rarely noticed anything outside of their own little world.

Jerry-- good luck @ the doctors.  I sure hope you can figure it out.  Looking forward to your movie review. ;-)

Jack-- enjoy your rest day and good luck this weekend on the race!

SF-- yay@ you getting good weather.  It must feel so good to put on shorts after the long, cold winter y'all had.  Enjoy your run.

Mitch-- omgosh, that's so horrible!  That poor family who lost a child.  Good luck to your nephew as he deals with the aftermath of this accident.

Jo-- nice to meet you!  Good luck to you on your fitness journey.  Have you started using the training log?   Please keep checking in here, and hopefully we can help keep you motivated.

Lauren, I saw that article, too.  Some interesting stuff there.  I hope you get this figured out, especially since with your workouts, you should be a serious powerhouse.  I, too, have been wanting to do more of the standing/less sitting.  Unfortunately, I'm finding that I'm just LAZY.  I want to sit down!  The last few days I've been really tired, and have just given in to it.

I'm taking another rest day.  My quads are still sore from Tuesdays run.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson