Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins like their coffee HOT! (Read 27 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Actually, I drink iced coffee....

6 miles in 89F/77DP and it was only 5am.  Very penguiny pace today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Big news from the weekend.  I completed a 225 mile month.  This month will be less mileage with some transitional quality work folded in.

My fishing trip was a big success.  We were one short of a full boat because one customer had to call off, but those that were there had a great time, and caught their limit.  I fried some Friday, and grilled some last night.  Absolutely delicious, and I still have a lot left over.

P3's running is coming along great.  I'm super proud of her.  The warm weather and humidity has given her some problems with the asthma, but she's sticking with it and making good progress.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

6 must be the magic number today.  I got 6 in this morning, and I see T-Rod got 6.4.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

tracilynn

Im drinking hot coffee right now too.  I started drinking coffee at age 33.  Up to that point I thought coffee was thee NASTIEST stuff ever and I was 157% sure I wouild never drink it.  Ha! Now i go to bed at night looking forward to it in the morning.Big grin

Damaris, that is HOT HOT.  Chalean ext looks fun to me but its pricey.

Awood, that is some serious mileage.  Great news about P3 handling her asthma.  I love grilling fish.  All ya need is some non stick spray and some aluminum foil and youre good to go.  The foil makes clean up real easy, no dishes to wash. For the win.

I really want to run today but i dont want to overdo it with my switch to minimal.  I dont want to trade my injuries for some new ones like PF, or achilles tendonitis etc.  i will do something, probably level 2 shred.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

tracilynn - Is that Jillian's 30 day shred?  That's good stuff.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

They all are (P90X, CE, etc.) but I think this one is worth it.  Check amazon or ebay and see if you can find a new(er) set for less.

Im drinking hot coffee right now too.  I started drinking coffee at age 33.  Up to that point I thought coffee was thee NASTIEST stuff ever and I was 157% sure I wouild never drink it.  Ha! Now i go to bed at night looking forward to it in the morning.Big grin

Damaris, that is HOT HOT.  Chalean ext looks fun to me but its pricey.

Awood, that is some serious mileage.  Great news about P3 handling her asthma.  I love grilling fish.  All ya need is some non stick spray and some aluminum foil and youre good to go.  The foil makes clean up real easy, no dishes to wash. For the win.

I really want to run today but i dont want to overdo it with my switch to minimal.  I dont want to trade my injuries for some new ones like PF, or achilles tendonitis etc.  i will do something, probably level 2 shred.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Monday.  Going to health club after work (lunch) to use the weight machines and run/walk a mile or 2.  Getting fitted for Father of the Bride suit will have to wait.

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

Ha, I was holding a steaming mug of coffee in my hands when I clicked on the forum this morning - I do like my coffee hot!

Bin - the strawberries and cream biscuits came out great, not very sweet though. I froze them yesterday and baked them this morning - glad I decided to try them for breakfast instead of dessert!

4 miles in ~41:30 this morning - 2 minutes walk/8 jog, 1 walk/9 jog x2, 2 walk/8 jog, and strides at the end. Felt great except for an ITB twinge toward the end - not pain, just a reminder to stretch/foam roll and maybe try adding Myrtl to my routine. We'll see how it does on Thursday.

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.  Anyone else have a short week?  It's a company holiday on Thursday and I'm taking Friday off -- so only three days of work for me!!!

Awood, that is awesome mileage.  You rock!

DR -- that is just nasty heat / humidity.

Traci -- I never drand coffee until about a year ago (age 47).  Now I look forward to my morning cup, which my boss kindly provides for free here in the lab.

Jerry -- FOB suit?  I guess I missed the news.  Congratulations!  You need to get that hip healed so you can cut a rug at the reception.

AFM -- Today is the first day of my ~20 week Running Wizard HM plan.  I'm supposed to do 4.5 miles of Fartleks, and it looks like I might have to do them on the TM.  More storms today, in fact it is raining cats and dogs right now.  I hoping to sneak out between storms after work.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Run is done and coffee is flowing, great way to start July!

Got 9 miles done at 4:30 this morning, feels great to be back on my morning schedule.  Flash flood warnings today, rained like crazy coming into work, but was dry for my run.  Well, as dry as it can be when running in souplike air.  There's something seriously wrong when it's in the 70's and the temp and dew point are the same (not as bad as Damaris had it this morning tho, but it was still 74/74 at 4:30am, crazy).  Went shirtless, cause I knew there was no point, it was just going to end up soaked and bugging me, hell, my shorts ended up so wet they were bugging me, but apparently it's frowned upon to run naked, so I guess I'll keep the shorts on.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Awood - 225 month!  WOW!

Damaris - lo-cal iced coffee, yes.  Or, a regular for a post run - good stuff.

Traci - ever wonder why we label exercise with those destructive and semi-destructive connotations?  Like, shred-burn-crunchers-etc?  Smile

Jerry - sounds like a great plan.

Lauren - strawberries and cream biscuits?!

PF33 - as long as the humidity doesn't get bad it's nice running after a good rain.

Dave - 4:30 - that is early.

AFM - Recovery "month" is over.  Time to get back at it.

6.4 this am. It was a good run. Stopped and took a picture too Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Love the pic TRod!

I ran out of creamer and had to run into a deli to get coffee on the way to work and it was lukewarm Sad I like my coffee HOT in the morning (even in summer) and iced in the afternoon in summer.

SRD for me.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Air quality is improving. Yeah!

1M recovery and throw in 0.5M faster on kinvaras.

Lauren, those biscuits look so good.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar