Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins like their coffee HOT! (Read 27 times)

Awood- 225 is freaking beastly dude.

D- start of marathon training. You will get your mojo back.

Traci- have fun with whatever you do. enjoy the coffee.

Jerry- enjoy the gym. Suit fitting can be fun.

Lauren- thats a pretty good workout. keep it up.

Phillie- what distance race are you training for? I do better with speed work on the dreadmill. keep it fun and who cant say fartlek without a smile. Smile

Dave the machine- 4:30am to run 9. I wish I was that dedicated.

Vance- June wasnt a great month for me either. July hopefully will get us back on track for great fall/winter races.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy July 1st!  Today is Creative Ice Cream Flavors Day!  Make your own flavor!

Today is also the monthly "Mother's Day"...pay this mother, pay that mother.... Joking.  Rest day for me.  And we have cooler weather.  After hitting 108 as a high on Saturday, some rain came in on Sunday and today's high will only be 95.  It is quite pleasant right now at 8:14 a.m, with a temp of only 82 degrees.

Congrats on getting a morning run in, Damaris!

Way to go on the 225 mile month, Awood!  Umm, sorry, Awood, don't like coffee ANY way.  Can't even stand the smell of the stuff.

I thought coffee was thee NASTIEST stuff ever and I was 157% sure I wouild never drink it.   Like you were 157% sure you'd never run barefoot, Traci? Joking  Or 157% sure you'll never do a Bare Buns event?  Never say never!  Gail said that too about a Bare Buns eventy and then when she turned 50 decided to do something 'wild' and went and did a 5K Bare Buns with me.  You never know what the future holds for you. Big grin

Good luck with your workout, Jerry, hope your hip behaves.

Congrats on your morning run, Lauren.

I also have a short week, Margo.  I am working today and tomorrow and then am off the rest of the week.  So I get a nice '5-day' weekend.  Although it will be a 'running' weekend.  I may do a race Wednesday night at 7:30 PM.  Then a 4th of July 4-miler on Thursday morning, then a 5K on Saturday morning.    Good luck with your Running Wizard Plan.  Is this an online plan, or something you have to buy, that is some type of software, etc?

4:30 this morning!  You are an Early Bird Runner, Dave!  I get out in the morning too on my running days, but not usually till about 5:30 a.m.    It's frowned upon to run nekkid?  Darn...I guess I better keep that in mind. Joking  Actually, at my age, if I did run nekkid, nobody would probably notice at all.  Old Man shrinkage is hell!  Wink

Welcome back, Vance.  Good luck starting back after Recovery Month!

Congrats on your run, Tomas!  Yeah, you gotta watch out for those slow children.

Enjoy your rest day, Kristin!  Hope your weekend visiting your boyfriend went well.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Lauren - strawberries and cream biscuits?!

Yes indeed! Recipe here - excellent way to use up mushy/overripe strawberries.

SheCan

Actually, I drink iced coffee....

6 miles in 89F/77DP and it was only 5am.  Very penguiny pace today.

Docket-- Smart way to drink it in Miami.  Good job on the miles.  Somethings really wrong when it's 89* at 5 in the morning---yuck!

Awood-- the fishing trip sounded like a blast.  Fantastic job on the monthly miles!

Lauren-- strawberry's and cream biscuits sound like a delicious breakfast!  I had some strawberries & honeydew melon with a ham and cheese croissant. Yum, yum, yum!

Dave-- I think it is legal to run nekkid at 4:30 in the morning.  There's no one else out to see you anyway.  Good job on 9 really early miles!

t-rod-- hehe@ the slow crossing pic.  Very cute, and nice smile!

Bin--- so glad your air is getting better.   Hope you're able to start getting out more and clear out those lungs.

I was going to try to hike up the Pikes Peak trail today, and woke up a bit later then I planned, feel tried and decided not to.  I will get ready and explore a little bit soon though.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

I want those biscuits!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Yes indeed! Recipe here - excellent way to use up mushy/overripe strawberries.

SCORE!

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey, y'all!!  I'm back from barbershop camp, and we had a great time, learned a lot, stayed up way too late, and generally had a lot of fun singing.  Woo-hoo!!  I'm trying to catch up on work a bit, with varying degrees of success.  Just wanted to give a shout-out to Tracilynn for going barefoot/minimalist!!  Definitely go really slow -- even 0.5 miles barefoot at the end of your regular run is a little long.  Don't forget that your bones and tendons and ligaments and things are not used to this kind of work at all, so go way easy.  If you want something to wear during your barefoot portions, the best shoes (and not too expensive) are Xeroshoes, and the company is very helpful.  The Nike Frees aren't really minimalist, but they are more so than what you were wearing, so hopefully they'll help!

Yeah, barefoot and minimalist is a lot more fun!  Some day I am going to ditch the shoes altogether, assuming I can ever get my knees into running shape again.  Life is never dull!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Happy Monday, Pens.

The only time I drink coffee is when we go out for breakfast.

Docket: 89 at 5:00am?! That is disgusting...

Awood: that is some insane mileage! I hope you increased slowly (I'm sure you did). That is very cool and well done to you!

Traci: You're over 33? Come on! If that is true your avi picture must be 15 years old!

Jerry: Have fun at the gym.

Lauren: Well done on the miles! Take care of that IT. I had some problems with mine and I got a massage from a sports massage guy and if fixed it.

PF: Enjoy the treadmill. Running in a light rain is nice, but not a downpour.

D2: Like you, I enjoy the early morning runs. I had a shirtless one the other day and it was nice.

N-Bug: Welcome back!

T-rod: Nice pic!

kristin: SRDs are nice. Smile

Bin: Good news about the air. By the way, I have a goatee now and will trim it to the Hulk Hogan formation before the half. It itches like crazy and I want to get rid of it now, but I've gone this far so two more weeks won't hurt. I don't know if I will do a RR because we will be away from home with no PC. We'll see...

Scotty: Isn't that funny when we consider 95 to be cooler and are happy to get it?

She Can: I hope you can get up the Pikes Peak trail while you are there. I heard it's pretty nice up there.

As for me, I (like T-rod) did 6.4 miles this morning (with headband) at an 8:18 pace. Have a good day.

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  I like my coffee hot, regardless of the weather.

Got my 5 done this morning, planning for 1 more at PT later.  I've been really slowing down because of the heat and trying to get comfortable at the distance again, but I think my knee/hip feels a little funky when I go too slow.  I'm thinking my stride changes.  Last mile felt the best and it was like 40 seconds faster than the others.

Damaris- Good job getting out there early enough to get the miles in!

Awood- Congrats on last month's mileage!  Hoping it feels great mixing that speedwork back in now!

Traci- Good idea taking it easy on the switch.

Jerry- Congrats on needing a father of the bride suit!  When is the big day?

Lauren- Hope the twinge was nothing!  Those biscuits look fantastic!  I love going berry picking.  I actually have a picture of DD from every year, starting when she was maybe 3-4, with the box of blueberries that we picked.  It's sort of become a tradition.  I will save that recipe for sure.

Margo- Week 1 is so exciting! Smile

D2- Too much talk about taking the shorts off and we may get the Scottydog "bare buns" photo in here! Shocked

Vance- Good to see you back here again!  I assume winter is finally over up there?

Tomas- Nice run!

kristin- Starting Monday without good coffee is terrible!  Hope your day has improved from there.

Bin- Sounds like things are picking up again!

Scotty- Glad the temps are at least a little more reasonable for you.  Cute penguins, too!

Cherie- Hope you enjoy whatever exploring you do!

HsM- Welcome back from camp!

Jack- Nice run!  I ordered myself a headband, and it should be here soon!  Right now I have the visor, and it's great!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Zelanie - LOL, yes, finally over.  Nice summer so far.

HM - you're brave!

Jack - thanks!  You going to go Freddy Mercury with the goutee?

Sloooow.

Was not feeling it today! 2 dragging miles done, have a great day everybody Smile

new shoes came in a day early :

Tomas

tracilynn

Traci: You're over 33? Come on! If that is true your avi picture must be 15 years old!

Jack! I LOOOOVE YOUBig grin

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Tomas, those shoes are HAWT.  I love them

Hopes, i looked at the website for the xeroshoes and I think those shoes are too cute and I may try some.  I have one toe on my right foot that is getting tender just from 2 barefoot runs.

Zel is getting a headband!  Woohoo

Coralie, your mileage has been high so maybe just need a lil cutback

I just did level 3 shred, jillian michaels, yes.  Its only like 25 minutes long so that makes it doable to me.  The Shred has been a good one for me in that I actually do it and if I do fall off the exercise train I always go back to that dvd  All you need is handweights and it was $4.99

~~~~~~~

Traci

Tomas, those shoes are HAWT.  I love them

Hopes, i looked at the website for the xeroshoes and I think those shoes are too cute and I may try some.  I have one toe on my right foot that is getting tender just from 2 barefoot runs.

Zel is getting a headband!  Woohoo

Coralie, your mileage has been high so maybe just need a lil cutback

I just did level 3 shred, jillian michaels, yes.  Its only like 25 minutes long so that makes it doable to me.  The Shred has been a good one for me in that I actually do it and if I do fall off the exercise train I always go back to that dvd  All you need is handweights and it was $4.99

$4.99 is pretty good. I think I have that video and it is still in shrink wrap Sad

Tomas