Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins Digging Out (Read 25 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Starting to look like an URD.  Snow is still coming down hard.  Got the driveway shoveled (we do not have a snowblower). Fortunately it is a short and narrow driveway.  Now it's going to get really cold.

Have a safe Sunday.

hog4life

Hi Jerry, I'll take a RD with ya. Got any pics ?

PADRunner

We're just getting a a glancing blow from the western side here in DFW. No moisture just cold. Outside 28 this morning with a feels like 14 but I don't think it was that cold maybe 20 with the gusts and  maybe 20 for the lows the next 2 days.

Anyway I got 3 done.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  It was supposed to storm pretty badly this morning but didn't.  However, by the time I woke up, it was too hot to run (you read that right), so I'll do it tonight.

Forecast: 90% thunder showers, lightning, and flood warning.  What we got: 80s and sunny.  Wait, what?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

We are getting up to 50 today so I will try to run a few easy outside.  Freezemageddon happens later tonight for us (and maybe ice and snow yuck). Schools are already postponed 2 hours just for the wind chills (up to -15 here).  Crazy huh?  Im sure the northerners will get a kick out of that since they are dealing with 60 below.   BUT this is the  SOUTH and we are wusses.

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

Our all day rain and sleet has changed to maybe rain/ice this afternoon and/or overnight.  Temps are decent: 35-38 for a high today and tomorrow. I plan to run a few miles, but whether in or out depends on what's happening when I get back from walking the dog.  The cold comes back Tuesday (high of 5 deg. according to the latest Accuweather prediction).  That's practically Chicago weather, not at all normal.

D - nice that the weather isn't as bad as forecast, but not so good that it's too hot to run.  I've got several friends who just started hiking the Florida Trail.  One in particular seems to attract bad weather, so expect the rains to continue a while;-)

PAD - good job on the three.

Mitch and Jerry - enjoy your rest days, though shoveling snow isn't really rest.

Tracilynn - that is crazy cold for the south.  Stay warm.

Docket_Rocket

Great.  Just what I needed, Ginny. 

It is not that it is too hot to run (it's only 80F) but it is too sunny to run and our sun is brutal after 8am.  Starting a 3 hour run in that shit? NO!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We are getting up to 50 today so I will try to run a few easy outside.  Freezemageddon happens later tonight for us (and maybe ice and snow yuck). Schools are already postponed 2 hours just for the wind chills (up to -15 here).  Crazy huh?  Im sure the northerners will get a kick out of that since they are dealing with 60 below.   BUT this is the  SOUTH and we are wusses.

DD is supposed to fly to Birmingham today.  I don't think she will get out of Chicago.

obiebyke

Hi 'guins. Windchill is -18 and dropping. It's going to be really dangerous out there. So I feel okay resting my runners knee and hanging out a bit in the injured forum. Happy running and be safe!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Zelanie

Hey, penguins!  We had our super-cold temps a few weeks ago, although it is apparently 23 right now.  I'll run 12 later after it warms up a bit.  I am worried about holding pace for it since I have been super sluggish lately, and I do think that I have a very heavy stride when I run more slowly.  So we will see.  But it's just 12 miles and I've run that a million times.  Right?  Right!

I hope that everyone in the path of the vortex storm stays safe and warm!

Jerry- Shoveling sounds like good core work!

Mitch- Enjoy the RD!  You can bask in the glow of your great run yesterday. Smile

PAD- Nice miles!

D- Glad the storm passed you by.  Hope the foot is feeling better today.

Traci- That sounds pretty cold to me!

Ginny- Glad you have a few nice days before the real cold hits.

obie- Hope the knee feels better!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I got my first real cardio workout in 4 weeks this morning!!!! 13.5 miles on the stationary bike (according to the bike) in 37.5 minutes (did about a 5 minute warm up, 30 minutes harder, then a 2.5 minute cool down), then I did upper body, core, and myrtl exercises and stretched. It was GLORIOUS!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

tracilynn

DD is supposed to fly to Birmingham today.  I don't think she will get out of Chicago.

What's she doing in Bham? Or is that a nosy question? Ha

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Yesterday I had to cut a 4 mile run to 2 because of a nosebleed.  So today I decided to go do a quick 2 miles and wouldn't you know exactly 1 mile in furthest point from my house my nose starts bleeding AGAIN and

I have to run the last mile back with my head tilted back. Not easy to do! And Im sure I looked like a TOTAL idiot.

geeting ready for freezemageddon coming tonight.

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

What's she doing in Bham? Or is that a nosy question? Ha

She doesn't tell us much, but I think she has a meeting with a client.  Looks like the weather is deteriorating there as well. Flight delayed until 10:00 pm.  :-(    I'd say F&*% THIS !!!