Beginners and Beyond

For those that swim (Read 405 times)

Just B.S.

Hubby and I started at the pool today. We go the a "coached" swim. Which at our pool basically

means XX number of lanes are for lap swimming, with 2 available for those who want tips from the

on-site coach.

Too bad it's at 7am!LOL Good thing is that many of our running  friends were there so it was lots of

fun.  Did some drills, practicing different strokes.

I had forgotten how much I love swimming and how much fun it is. Total of 1000 meters for the first

time back in a long time and it felt great so I was very happy.Smile Going back on Monday.

Butter Tart

Please re-read my post. I stated that I have no problem with sharing lanes. The issue I was asking about pertained more to issue of posted lane availability vs real lane availability. If the schedule says that there are 6 lanes open, and 5 are taken up by a team session not on the schedule, and 1 is taken up by a private lesson, and there are 5 pissed off swimmers sitting on the bench waiting for lap time, I will be sharing a bench, not a lane. I was asking if THAT was a common occurance, not simply sharing a lane.

Not normal. 1 or 2 lanes maybe, but not all of them. Only in exceptional circumstances like hosting a competition, and even then should be announced well in advance. I would ask for my money back because they are not able to deliver what you paid for.

Shakedown Street

I will echo Ker...learn pacing. Just like running, but depending on where your coming from you might be a few weeks off from having more than one gear.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Nevrgivup

Beth- I'm glad you enjoyed it once again. There are two days a week at the Y, which includes master's swim. They also have a triathlete course that they offer in the spring I guess. Each year the Y actually puts on a triathlon. I thought I'd never ever say this, but I may try it next year. We'll see. Baby steps first. Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Sorry, my early experience with swimming was that I wanted a lane to myself because I was self-conscious of my ability.

Other than that, though, I do not have any experience with lane sharing for private lessons or swim teams....

My inclusion of the lap sharing within my post related more to the comfort perspective of swimming with others with varying abilities.

If ALL lanes are unavailable because of the situation described, I'd be pissed.

I have gone to the gym and attempted a swim only to find slow and old breast strokers in all lanes, and that'll make for an uncomfortable lane sharing workout.

Cheers,

Please re-read my post. I stated that I have no problem with sharing lanes. The issue I was asking about pertained more to issue of posted lane availability vs real lane availability. If the schedule says that there are 6 lanes open, and 5 are taken up by a team session not on the schedule, and 1 is taken up by a private lesson, and there are 5 pissed off swimmers sitting on the bench waiting for lap time, I will be sharing a bench, not a lane. I was asking if THAT was a common occurance, not simply sharing a lane.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Just B.S.

Beth- I'm glad you enjoyed it once again. There are two days a week at the Y, which includes master's swim. They also have a triathlete course that they offer in the spring I guess. Each year the Y actually puts on a triathlon. I thought I'd never ever say this, but I may try it next year. We'll see. Baby steps first. Smile

I've done a lot of duathlons but my one at my only tri ( 2011) the 500m swim took me an agonizing

19:30. It was awful and convinced me that if I was every to do another one that I needed to get a

lot better at the swim portion.

Hopefully in June when I do the same event I will see a marked improvement in the swim.

notimeforthat

Hubby and I started at the pool today. We go the a "coached" swim. Which at our pool basically

means XX number of lanes are for lap swimming, with 2 available for those who want tips from the

on-site coach.

Too bad it's at 7am!LOL Good thing is that many of our running  friends were there so it was lots of

fun.  Did some drills, practicing different strokes.

I had forgotten how much I love swimming and how much fun it is. Total of 1000 meters for the first

time back in a long time and it felt great so I was very happy.Smile Going back on Monday.

At least yours it at 7. I have to use a HS pool so it is 5-7 a.m. to swim. It's a good thing those fellas there are fantastically funny and nice because I am not at 5 a.m.

toyger

I swim 3-4 times a week as part of a masters team. We incorporate drills in our practices with fins, paddles and pull buoys. Paddle work is great for your arms, and fin work is great for legs and core. I forgot how much I miss swimming. I swam competitively through high school but got burned out and just started again this past summer after 20 years. I have a swim meet coming up in February. I'm excited!

Swimming has been a nice complement to running. I've struggled with ITBS and hip tightness, and swimming has helped keep things a lot looser. Good luck! You'll have a lot fun!

Jen

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Way late to the party, but my excuse is that I've been sick as a dog. I started swimming last year and did my first sprint tri. This year's goal is an IM in Sept., and i have a ton of improving to do. I'm dying to get back in the pool, but I need to be able to breathe above again water first.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Just B.S.

At least yours it at 7. I have to use a HS pool so it is 5-7 a.m. to swim. It's a good thing those fellas there are fantastically funny and nice because I am not at 5 a.m.

Good lord!! That's dedication.  Our suburban town has 3 high schools but no pools. We have to drive

to the city to use the swimming centre but at least it has better hours and always has 2 lanes open

unless there is a competition or something special going on.

Just B.S.

Way late to the party, but my excuse is that I've been sick as a dog. I started swimming last year and did my first sprint tri. This year's goal is an IM in Sept., and i have a ton of improving to do. I'm dying to get back in the pool, but I need to be able to breathe above again water first.

I find that always helps.Big grin  I"m sure once you are back to normal you won't have any problems

getting where you need to be. You were doing great last year.

notimeforthat

Good lord!! That's dedication.  Our suburban town has 3 high schools but no pools. We have to drive

to the city to use the swimming centre but at least it has better hours and always has 2 lanes open

unless there is a competition or something special going on.

I harken back to my days in CCU and having to wake up at 4:45 to get to work....there are days I just want to cry, but by the time I am in the car, I am up and singing along with the radio. I always feel better when I go and get it done. Not unlike getting up and getting the run done.

The only thing I absolutely cannot do that early is ride a bike on our trainer. My legs say "WHAT THE HELL WOMAN!?"....oddly I could do spin classes, but just not the high power output stuff in the a.m.

I figure it allows me more time for my family, so it is worth it.

Just B.S.

I figure it allows me more time for my family, so it is worth it.

It's true and it's worth it.  I used to get out the door at 5am to cycle with a tri friend when our boys

were younger and couldn't be left alone. It could be really beautiful in the summer but now I'd rather

sleep a little longer!!

LRS

Chasing Muses

I swim 3-4 times a week as part of a masters team. We incorporate drills in our practices with fins, paddles and pull buoys. Paddle work is great for your arms, and fin work is great for legs and core. I forgot how much I miss swimming. I swam competitively through high school but got burned out and just started again this past summer after 20 years. I have a swim meet coming up in February. I'm excited!

Swimming has been a nice complement to running. I've struggled with ITBS and hip tightness, and swimming has helped keep things a lot looser. Good luck! You'll have a lot fun!

Jen, I might just have to drive down to Richmond for some lessons Smile Your pool pics on FB (especially in Winter) make me long for a swim.

toyger

Jen, I might just have to drive down to Richmond for some lessons Smile Your pool pics on FB (especially in Winter) make me long for a swim.

Eric, come on down! There is a new Olympic size pool in Chesterfield that we use for practice, and they have daily use rates. It's the Greater Richmond Aquatics Partnership: http://www.greaterrichmondaquaticspartnership.org/. Very nice pool and facilities.

Jen