Beginners and Beyond

For those that swim (Read 405 times)

Nevrgivup

Had my first lesson last week and LOVED it! I can't wait to get back in the pool again. Smile It will be such a reprieve for my joints.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Had my first lesson last week and LOVED it! I can't wait to get back in the pool again. Smile It will be such a reprieve for my joints.

That's great!  It is a very different feeling than running.  I've never experienced tired or sore in the same way post-swim that I do post-run.  That's not to say you couldn't get that with competitive level swimming, but my swimming isn't exactly competitive.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Just B.S.

That's awesome Hilary!

I went 4 times from Sat-Sat. Luckily for me the coached swim sessions line up perfectly with my non

running days. So right now I"m running 4 days, swimming 3 and on the bike trainer 2-3 times/week.

Of course I can just go swim laps if I can't get to the coached sessions but it's so great having the coach

there to give the drills and tips/advice on technique.

Another bonus I have found is that I get to build up a new wardrobe for another sport!LOL  I bought

another suit this week and was on swimoutlet.com yesterday looking for new goggles and flipflops

.........the current ones don't match my new swimsuit.Big grin

notimeforthat

That's great!  It is a very different feeling than running.  I've never experienced tired or sore in the same way post-swim that I do post-run.  That's not to say you couldn't get that with competitive level swimming, but my swimming isn't exactly competitive.

I did a swim clinic this weekend and after 9 hours in the pool over 2 days, trust me, soreness is there. I was actually surprised that I ran as well today after getting home as I did to be honest.

Shakedown Street

what did yall cover?

my 1st lesson was simply breathing/staying relaxed...keep mouth open all the time (yes underwater), relax face muscles, control breath with your throat-not lips. Added some minor stroke stuff at the end.

I really need to practice backstroke more....

good job!!!!!

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Nevrgivup

He basically showed us how to position our bodies in a straight line and how to push off the edge with a light kick. He showed us how to position our arms above our heads while swimming in a straight line. I was told I'm too close to the bottom of the pool and need to rise higher toward top. LOL. I was also shown how to bend at the elbow instead of straight arms for the basic stroke. I have lots to learn, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it. I panic when I'm under water when I can't take a breath right away. I thought that being a runner, I'd be able to hold my breath longer. Pffft.  This is what I'll be working on. The course is very basic and it teaches the breathing techniques and proper body positioning in the water. It is super private with only 3 students in the class. One girl is a repeater, which makes me think it won't be so bad to repeat myself until I'm comfortable to moving to the next level. Its great though to challenge yourself. This is definitely one fear I am conquering. Really proud of myself. Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

notimeforthat

He basically showed us how to position our bodies in a straight line and how to push off the edge with a light kick. He showed us how to position our arms above our heads while swimming in a straight line. I was told I'm too close to the bottom of the pool and need to rise higher toward top. LOL. I was also shown how to bend at the elbow instead of straight arms for the basic stroke. I have lots to learn, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it. I panic when I'm under water when I can't take a breath right away. I thought that being a runner, I'd be able to hold my breath longer. Pffft.  This is what I'll be working on. The course is very basic and it teaches the breathing techniques and proper body positioning in the water. It is super private with only 3 students in the class. One girl is a repeater, which makes me think it won't be so bad to repeat myself until I'm comfortable to moving to the next level. Its great though to challenge yourself. This is definitely one fear I am conquering. Really proud of myself. Smile

One of the best things I have found for breathing and relaxation is going to where you cannot touch (or just barely touch) and bob in the water, when you exhale out you will sink down and then you push off the bottom and come up out of the water for air, then right back down. If you get flustered sometimes taking a short break there in the deep-ish end and do about 10 bobs will do wonders for helping you get out all that air.

LRS

Chasing Muses

I had my first class yesterday! A local Tri group does classes on Sundays, focusing on freestyle. It was great, a lot of drills focusing on form, kick, sighting, etc, and then regular ladders. We meet every Sunday until mid-May and will be doing at least one open-water wetsuit swim in April. Looking forward to improving (and judging from yesterday, I have plenty of improving to do).

sirdizzy

I am training for half ironman in May so I swim on average 2-3 times a week.  Last week I swam 1750 meters on Wednesday and 1500 on Friday.  Swimming is the one workout I dread because I swear there is always logistics issues.  Wednesday I got stuck in the warm pool because the darn high school team took every single lap lane (It doesn't matter when I go morning or evening they are always there and they always take nearly every single lane sometimes they leave 1 or 2 but lately it has been every lane and its driving me crazy).  I missed two swims because I showed up at the pool and they were doing swim meets.  Almost missed one on Friday but got a heads up about a swim meet before hand.

So I went to this athletic club to see if they would be worth joining thinking its a gym and should be no problem.  Of course every single outdoor lane was taken for something called SUSA and had to wait 15 minutes for an indoor lane because they only have 4.  Going to give em one more go if they are still full on Wednesday I am not joining even though we get a discount with our triathlon club memberships.

I mean 3 lap pools in town and always full of the freaking high school and middle school swim teams arghhhhhhhhhhhhh  I guess theres golds gym but man I hate that they make you sign up for a year because come April I will go back to open water swims for at least 1 if not 2 of my swims a week so I don't need a year membership.

notimeforthat

I am training for half ironman in May so I swim on average 2-3 times a week.  Last week I swam 1750 meters on Wednesday and 1500 on Friday.  Swimming is the one workout I dread because I swear there is always logistics issues.  Wednesday I got stuck in the warm pool because the darn high school team took every single lap lane (It doesn't matter when I go morning or evening they are always there and they always take nearly every single lane sometimes they leave 1 or 2 but lately it has been every lane and its driving me crazy).  I missed two swims because I showed up at the pool and they were doing swim meets.  Almost missed one on Friday but got a heads up about a swim meet before hand.

So I went to this athletic club to see if they would be worth joining thinking its a gym and should be no problem.  Of course every single outdoor lane was taken for something called SUSA and had to wait 15 minutes for an indoor lane because they only have 4.  Going to give em one more go if they are still full on Wednesday I am not joining even though we get a discount with our triathlon club memberships.

I mean 3 lap pools in town and always full of the freaking high school and middle school swim teams arghhhhhhhhhhhhh  I guess theres golds gym but man I hate that they make you sign up for a year because come April I will go back to open water swims for at least 1 if not 2 of my swims a week so I don't need a year membership.

That sucks that the lifeguards do not force a circle swim with the team and other patrons. It is the only way to really get a large volume of people in and out. There really isn't an excuse for not doing that. I get the swim meet stuff, but the other, that is just poor management on the athletic/aquatic center's part.

sirdizzy

That sucks that the lifeguards do not force a circle swim with the team and other patrons. It is the only way to really get a large volume of people in and out. There really isn't an excuse for not doing that. I get the swim meet stuff, but the other, that is just poor management on the athletic/aquatic center's part.

Yea and they don't warn you when you pay that all the lanes are gone.  Its $3 with my triathlon club membership so during the summer when at least one of my swims was an open water swim it was vastly cheaper to just pay the $3 a go for my one pool swim ($12 a month versus $20-25 for a membership).  Now that all my swims are pool swims for the winter which is $6-9 a week its much cheaper for me to get a membership but I really don't want to join any of the pools if I can't get a lane.  The one benefit of not having a membership is that I can check the pool close to my work for lanes if its full just hit the one closer to my home so I can go to either pool, worked great during the summer.  When I went last Wednesday he didn't tell me any lanes were open so by the time I get out I realize well crap I guess I gotta swim in the warm pool (its a kid area that has slides but does have 2 lanes but its like 10 degrees warmer and totally sucks to do laps in).

notimeforthat

This reminds me that me and my aching lats have to swim tomorrow. At least it is stroke work and not some hell set.