Beginners and Beyond

2014 The Woodlands Half Marathon: The slow fade (Read 60 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Quick Summary:

In light of my and my wifes previous goal Half being canceled due to ice we had to pick a replacement. Several were available, we decided to settle on this one. The Woodlands is known to be flat and fast and a popular race with fast runners and typically good racing weather, perfect to reset and aim to PR.

To give a little background, I had been on 16 week, fairly aggressive custom plan based off V-dot tests, and this reschedule Half put me in an extended training plan, 12 weeks extended to be exact. Enough time to really get mentally fatigued with the continual training.

Race day comes and though we had been dipping in some frosty weather here in Texas, this morning was a warm 65F with 100% humidity at race start, thick mist, fine rain and drizzle.

Goals:

1st 1:20.59

2nd 1:22:48 (Training plan prediction)

3rd 1:24:59

Finish time:

1:28.02 - 2:26 PR

40th Overall / 32nd Male / 5th Masters / 1st 40-44 (1st non-elite)

The loop report:

http://community.runnersworld....rathon-the-slow-fade

LRB

I do not know how much 20 degrees makes for other people, but for me, 60 versus 40 would have been my ass.

For the level you train at and your goals, the PR is little consolation, but not everyone can go out there and throw up a 1:28.  Still, it has to leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Looking back on the race now that you are a few days removed, what would you have done differently?  It appears from your splits that you just never found a rhythm with pace.  Is it possible an adjustment was in order pre-race due to the humidity?

Oh, and damn.

Docket_Rocket

Considering the weather that this race had, I think that's a great time.  Well done and congrats on the PR!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Yes to all of that LRB.

And you are right, I just could not sit at a comfortable rhythm. Two things in retrospect that would have made for a large difference:

1. Understanding the difficulty of a *flat* course.

Up until this point I have been under the misconception that flat was far better than slightly hilly. What I have come to understand is that flat means the same muscle groups work with little to no rest. Hilly, requires different muscle groups meaning each antagonistic muscle group gets to rest.  If you noticed I have been incorporating surges every 3 miles or so to facilitate some rests.  Eventually I will get to the point where I can surge for 30-50 strides. Meanwhile this is all a learning and training process.

2. Understanding humidity and the implications.

I could have aimed for a 6:25 even split and likely hit my sub 1:25 goal. Again, the flat course and normal race day excitement meant it was tough to dial in on *any* pace as you could see. My legs felt like the dog days of summer hit towards the middle later miles.  Just zero power and sluggish.

Experience, I am serious lacking but this is all good.  If I continually hit my goals I would be less inclined to learn.  So yes, sour taste, some consolation from coach and reading, but not enough.  I am damn hungry.

LRB

On another note, that is a big ass medal!  It looks like a centerpiece for a chrome wheel.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

On another note, that is a big ass medal!  It looks like a centerpiece for a chrome wheel.

Dude, its the size of a tea saucer!  I could serve hors d'oeuvre on the thing.

I would turn it into a belt buckle but I think I would shame some of the local cowboys!

Fek I have a discus If I want to go into multisport!

ie: its badass!  Wink

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Thanks for the read. It was a fun RR. Smile

Conditions sucked. Stinks having that huge positive split, but that humidity just takes it right out of you.

I can't wait to read the next one.

- Andrew

Zelanie

Wow, that is a long time to hang in there on a training plan before getting to race!  Congrats on holding on in spite of everything and on getting a PR.  A lot of people would be very tempted just to let  everything go once they realized that they were off goal pace, but you kept fighting right through to the finish.  Bravo!

outoftheblue

What a great effort and congrats on the high placements.  When you wind up collapsing and in the medical tent at the finish, you know you truly gave it your all.  I know the final numbers weren't as good as they would have been under easier conditions, but you and your wife should be hell of proud of your races.  The heat and humidity were worthy adversaries and it sounds like you were up to the fight.

Life is good.

PADRunner

Congrats Sly,  a hell of a race in those conditions.

Wow! I know it's not the performance you were hoping for, but I think you did great! It's impressive how you were able to dig deep - I felt exhausted just reading your report. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Dad on the run.

Great RR and holy hell your fast! Sorry you didn't hit your goals but you still PRed and that's always a good thing! Can't wait to read your RR of your redemption run!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

SheCan

Wowsers!  That's awesome, congratulations!  You and your wife, also, are both amazing and oh so fast!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Nice race, Sly.

Congrats on the PR and AG win, and interesting report.  I think that if you did this well when you were not at that zenith we all hope for on race day, you will be able to knock it out of the park and get that A goal sometime in the near future.