Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Jingle Bells 5K for Arthritis (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 67th race of 2015 and my third 5K of 3 5Ks I was doing on December 12, 2015. The Jingle Bell 5K for Arthritis supports the Arthritis Foundation, a very personal cause for me as I deal with my arthritis every day (spine, knees, hands). Thankfully, I am one of the lucky ones, and mine is osteo-arthritis, not rheumatoid, and I usually have more good days than bad days; but even so, it is something I deal with every day, and I always have some type of discomfort at any given moment. It makes me really feel for the people who have it more severely. This is a very popular event and is held at the local HQ of Valero Energy Company, which is very involved in supporting community nonprofits. For this 5K, I ended up with a time of 32:58, go figure. You’d think I’d be slowing down after having done 2 other 5Ks for the day already, but nope, I was feeling pretty good and even pushed my last mile a bit. No medal for this one, though, like I got in my other two – as this one was a much larger event than the other two I did for the day and there are some quite speedy local runners in my age group.

BEFORE THE START

Since I work at UTSA – which is practically next door to Valero – and am a member of the UTSA gym, I was able to go to the gym from my 2nd 5K of the day and get in a nice hot shower, and change into my third and final set of running gear for the day. Then it was over to Valero, arriving a bit early to take some pre-start photos.

Welcome to the event!

photo 142_zpst7vrym9h.jpg

Race number 3 of the day for me and my lovely friend, Bernadette

photo 147_zps95vxcnng.jpg

Nice covered pavilion for everyone to gather under; also had water fountains, restrooms, etc

photo 131_zpsiryxzycz.jpg

Live music for us to enjoy

photo 129_zpsrri0nfwm.jpg

Some of the many participants, volunteers, etc

photo 128_zpswfvo8pua.jpg

photo 130_zps46slrtf1.jpg

photo 132_zpsgbrqvjhd.jpg

photo 133_zpskuctrqe0.jpg

photo 134_zpskuuhdluh.jpg

photo 135_zpsxub1mbcv.jpg

photo 137_zpsdntdkdol.jpg

photo 138_zpspmtkm561.jpg

The great folks from AthletesGuild that did the course set up, timing, results, etc. My friend Sherri is my kinda race lady...always ready with her beer bottle opener there...    Her dad, retired veteran John,  is a good friend of mine, we sometimes sit and drink a beer or two together and swap our 'war stories' lol.

photo 141_zpsdruz9mhr.jpg

Thanks to all our volunteers who were out there for us.

photo 144_zpsksajws2h.jpg

photo 149_zpshuso8w2n.jpg

My lovely friend, Sandra, looking very decorative

photo 145_zps3ild40ax.jpg

photo 146_zps4qkr3ylp.jpg

photo 150_zpsmisjsxzr.jpg

Christmas Pretty In Pink

photo 151_zpsuc1ixn6h.jpg

photo 152_zps4njy5z4c.jpg

photo 153_zps8iawknsy.jpg

photo 155_zps83zbl31a.jpg

National Anthem being sung

photo 157_zpsncm1b0fj.jpg

In the start area

photo 158_zpswxabo6gx.jpg

photo 159_zpswwsid6xb.jpg

photo 160_zpscl7tgw6z.jpg

photo 161_zpsy1bcp7cd.jpg

photo 162_zpslkdrbyf9.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started near the pavilion, did a loop around the Valero campus, and then it was down to the Valero trailhead where we did a little out-and-back on the Leon Creek Greenway paved trails system there; then back up to the Valero campus to finish.

Lots of wide roads on the Valero campus

photo 163_zps0avtesyy.jpg

photo 164_zpshuvwtj5v.jpg

photo 165_zpsnmejydx5.jpg

photo 166_zpsbfl2x9tq.jpg

photo 167_zpsskozk6v0.jpg

photo 168_zpsn2iue7wc.jpg

A bit tighter on the Greenway trails

photo 169_zpszg9exk03.jpg

photo 170_zps9rravrn6.jpg

photo 171_zpsxxy1aawa.jpg

photo 172_zpsqumgqbrm.jpg

Bernadette heading back to the finish area

photo 173_zpsv7stcpqq.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

My first stop after I finished

photo 136_zpsa1uon8mk.jpg

Oh yeah!

photo 185_zpswicsblbi.jpg

This lovely lady was enjoying the darker brew...also very good.

photo 186_zpsm2anit2o.jpg

Another post-finish stop....

photo 181_zps6i5i8uxz.jpg

Cooked up by these guys....

photo 139_zpsrgi6g3um.jpg

photo 140_zps47piabsc.jpg

Wandered around after the finish getting photos and also enjoying the post-race goodies…..sorry about the first few, some blurry spots, I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens after I finished

photo 175_zpsbwnrjb3y.jpg

photo 176_zpse6mm9b63.jpg

photo 177_zpsgpudm5nd.jpg

That lady on the left has "Christmas Angel" light on her face...

photo 180_zps5ybdhmsq.jpg

photo 179_zpsspyi84rg.jpg

Darn, I cut off the lady on the right...oops...I have such great camera skills, lol.

photo 182_zps7cocleej.jpg

Here she is!

photo 183_zpsump6kuoq.jpg

photo 184_zpsbwa2w9st.jpg

photo 187_zpskrybd4sh.jpg

photo 192_zps1b6uj5fl.jpg

photo 193_zpsyzuv30jb.jpg

photo 194_zpsklsfdew6.jpg

photo 195_zpsed7xy3gk.jpg

photo 196_zps7v6z559a.jpg

photo 190_zpsvoyxd1ea.jpg

Sandra got a medal, her very first age group medal.  She has made amazing progress, coming back from a stress fracture in her hip.

photo 197_zpsic7wbd06.jpg

Bernadette also placed.

photo 198_zpsf7jehbeu.jpg

Race 3 for the day done!  We are tired and we are finished and each of us is ready for a long nap, lol.  photo 188_zpsemh9h826.jpg

EPILOGUE

I’ve done this event several times in past years and always enjoy it. It used to be held at the University of the Incarnate Word, running under the Christmas lights there; but the event got so popular – which is a good thing for the Arthritis Foundation – and grew so much that it was moved to Valero which can accommodate more runners/walkers.   No worries, because Valero and its accompanying sponsors throw a really nice party and the covered pavilion – which UIW does not have – is a nice plus, especially in any inclement weather. Lots of folks in costumes, the race is dog-friendly, live music, very nice post-race goodies; yeah, this event is a keeper on the race calendar.   Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, law enforcement/security, etc., who made this one happen for all we participants.

And, of course, thanks to the sponsors….

photo 143_zpswg0qrncf.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

We can be twins, I got the same green short yesterday.  I feel cheated, Baltimore only had bagels, fruit & water post race.

I was thinking about you when I did my cool down at the Baltimore event--if you ever visit Baltimore, the harbor promenade draws tons of runners. However, there is no railing between you & the harbor; it is not something you want to fall in....

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My friend Sherri caught me on the run at this event.  I was pointing and asking her..."Hey, isn't that the Old Man Shortcut?"   lol.

photo Scottydog Jingle Bell 5K_zpsy4ltmhbs.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a fun and very popular event.   I love all the costumes. Congratulations on finishing all three in one day.

LRB

And you finally got your beer, awesome!