Beginners and Beyond

Where do you run when its dark? (Read 479 times)

I'm getting tired of my neighborhood streets, but it's the only reasonably lit place to run where I live (to my knowledge). I have reflective gear and lights, but am hesitant to use them on the streets around me. Just makes me nervous, I guess. So, do you generally just deal with the same well lit routes during the winter, or do I need to get a little more brave and try out the county roads around me?

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

@runjerseygirl

Some of the roads I run on when I do my long runs on Sunday mornings are poorly lit.  I need to invest in some Knuckle Lights.  But I do run facing traffic (not that there is much) so that I can see the cars that are coming.  I know a lot of people will wave their lights at the cars as they approach.

Do you even run?

delicate flower

Running on the streets always makes me a little nervous, and doing it in the dark just makes it worse.  I just buck up and deal with it though.  I usually run during the evening rush hour, so there are lots of cars on the roads in my busy suburban town.  I have Knuckle Lights, a headlamp, and a reflective vest.  I try to avoid the busier roads, but inevitably I'll need to run on them a little bit to get where I want to go.  I enjoy running on the rail trail but right now it's covered in a foot of snow.

If unlit quiet country roads were an option for me, I'd be absolutely thrilled. 

<3

aponi

never runs the tangents

I have knuckle lights and run in the early morning. School buses are the most frightening things out there that time of day.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Wandering Wally

I dress brightly, strap on the headlamp with rear facing blinkie and head out.  I tend to run later when there is very little traffic.  Now that I am used to it I prefer the back roads and paths with no lights other than mine.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

runmomto3boys

I am nervous running on dark trails/dark streets in the winter, w/the snow and ice on top of it all (I use knuckle lights to see/be seen).  I run mainly on the sidewalk on super busy, lit up roads. In the summer/fall/spring, it's the opposite - the more trails I can run on (the less traffic), the better!

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I run in the dark through the week and usually run on the roads or sidewalks. I get really, really bored just running through my neighborhood and have some decent routes. I'm usually out by 5am, so there isn't a whole lot of traffic. Aside from the usual boneheads who don't look to their right before making a turn, I've had good experiences. As for the boneheads, I just glare at them when they finally look over and realize that they could have actually hit a pedestrian. Of course, that happens in the daylight hours too.

Thanks, all. You've confirmed what I was already thinking. Time to grow a pair and hit the streets. Now to make sure the life insurance is paid up...

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

BruceD555

I pretty much only run in the roads right now after dark ... with some excursions onto some in-town paved trails. I avoid sidewalks like the plague because they're currently spotted/littered with patches of snow/ice ... and I've narrowly avoided taking a header once or twice.

In warm weather I LOVE running by myself out in the country where I pretty much have the roads to myself. However, with the freezing temps I limit my solo-runs to in-town running for safety reasons (if I'm running with someone we'll venture out into the country). It really wouldn't take long to have a simple slip turn dangerous if you're in the middle of nowhere and temps are around zero.

I agree, right now I'm getting pretty bored with in-town running but I'm also planning on mixing it up by driving occasionally to nearby towns/areas to run in "new" vistas.

Train smart ... race smarter.

@runjerseygirl

One more thought.  I prefer to run in the early morning as opposed to late night.  There is less traffic, and it's only going to get brighter out as the morning progresses.  At night, there is more traffic, and it's only going to get darker as it gets later.

Do you even run?

B-Plus

I stick with well-lit routes, even if it means having to do the same loop 2 or 3 times. Call me a pussy, but it's just not worth the risk and I can enjoy my run when I feel more comfortable of my surroundings.

sugnim

I pretty much stick to roads when it's dark.  I've never done any real trail running in the dark.  I wear a head lamp, a red blinky in the back, and I put 2 red blinkies on my dog.  I try to wear light colored clothing, and I always run facing traffic.  Whether I run on the sidewalk or in the road depends largely upon recent weather and if the sidewalks have been shoveled of snow and/or the streets plowed.  There are a few general areas that I run in regularly during the dark months of winter, some are neighborhood streets, some country roads, and I try never to run on major streets because I just don't like being around all of the traffic.  I never wear headphones when I run in the dark because I think it's important to be as aware & alert as possible.  I try to assume that none of the drivers see me, and I always give any vehicle the right of way just to prevent from becoming a road pancake.

I pretty much have to stick to the roads because the sidewalks are a mess due to them rarely being shoveled. In addition to them not being shoveled, you get hardened icy footprints which is even worse because it makes the surface severely uneven.  So like it or not, the roads at night are the best option for me.

Antipodean

I run in the early mornings most of the time and have no access to country areas (city gal, me). I stick to the sidewalks of well-lit main streets and have a reasonable number of routes to choose from. I haven't had any problems apart from my own easily-spooked uneasiness - anything from a bird to a hedgehog or piece of trash can freak me out when it's dark. Generally, I suck it up & get out there and then feel good the whole day.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Very few sidewalks and streetlights where I live. I could venture into the city, but I tend to run on a nearly abandoned road when it's dark. I carry a flashlight, and have a red flashing light attached ot my hip. I also have reflective ankle wrap things, and I wear bright colors.

And most important of all, I run facing traffic and I'm ready to jump off the pavement at any time to avoid being run down.

More often than not, though, I try to either run in the daylight or use the treadmill. I don't schedule any long runs when I won't have time to do them in daylight.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54