Beginners and Beyond

How would you stay involved in running if you couldn't run? (Read 90 times)

Nevrgivup

Day 1 post-op and I am already bored. I will have to take at least a few months off from running due to my recent injury and I've been thinking about what I will be doing to stay involved in the running community while I cannot run. I most likely will be limiting my mileage going forward because this is my second back surgery and I need to do whatever it is to preserve my discs and avoid fusion surgery!!

My plan is to continue to volunteer at some local races. I also plan on volunteering this year and years to come in Boston. I will always follow Kara, Shalane, Meb, and other elites. I cry every time I watch the marathon on tv. Running is a part of me and I could never give it up completely even if I cannot do it like I'd like. I also plan on supporting some of my besties in his or her races.

What would you do if you had to limit your runs and how would you support the sport if you had to?

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

hog4life

Become more active in local running clubs? Maybe take an office/staff position? Race director? Get involved with the timing team?
      Nevrgivup

Become more active in local running clubs? Maybe take an office/staff position? Race director? Get involved with the timing team?

I like this. The local running club that I used to participate in has races from April-Sept. I plan on helping them out a lot more this coming race season. My best friend Cheryl does all the races and it would be a fun thing to do together.

Love the Half

Volunteer at races or, better yet, serve on a race committee.  Even putting on a local 5K takes a ton of work as I can attest having been the race director for one.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Zelanie

When I wasn't running last summer, I baked cookies for the local ultra, and did timing at the summer track meets.  It was fun and I got to meet a lot of runners that I wouldn't normally have gotten to run with.

Mmmmm...beer

Yup, I'd volunteer.  We have a very active race schedule, it would be easy to volunteer every weekend here.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Hilary,

Curious as to what your/your doc's game plan is for the coming weeks??

What are you allowed to do/not do and in what time frame??

Just curious but might help some w/ suggestions for what you can do going forward.  Despite your boredom I think you will probably physically recover sooner than you think.  Your mental attitude is very proactive which is good.  (Just don't toe the line in Boston in your zeal!)  

Randy

Nevrgivup

Hilary,

Curious as to what your/your doc's game plan is for the coming weeks??

What are you allowed to do/not do and in what time frame??

Just curious but might help some w/ suggestions for what you can do going forward.  Despite your boredom I think you will probably physically recover sooner than you think.  Your mental attitude is very proactive which is good.  (Just don't toe the line in Boston in your zeal!)  

Red- I will be walking at least 3 miles a day starting next week I believe. I can swim after 4 weeks, and than light running about 6 weeks. I'm just analyzing my future and how I want to pursue my running. My doc said I'd be able to run the HM distance again, but I'm not sure I will do so. I'm paranoid of causing more damage to my already damaged disc. The more force that is put on an unstable back the easier it is for them to re-herniate and if I have to have another surgery it will be the microdiscectomy again and than a fusion. My biggest goal will be to work on my core coming back.  I do not want to keep having surgeries!  I LOVE to run, but I am looking at the bigger picture now and that is to get stronger overall. I have no shame in cross-training. I've been a runner a long time and accomplished a great deal over the years. I will be happy to keep the distance at 5K's just to be able to participate. 

Right now, I can't lift anything greater than 10 lbs. I'm out of work for 4 weeks because of the lifting involved in nursing. Did you know nurses have the highest back injury rate? Thank the lord for my higher degree that I will be receiving this May! After my first injury, that was my push to go to grad school. Don't worry, I will not be doing anything in Boston, but caring for my fellow injured runners as a medical volunteer. Smile

happylily

Hilary, if I were you, I wouldn't do anything that you're not already doing now. So you're on the bench now, like many of us have been before. But you are still a runner, because you know that eventually you will get the green light to start running again. In the meantime, you keep active with what the doc allows, you participate on a running forum and you volunteer at races whenever you feel like it. Just like you did before, but without the running. You don't need to do anything extra to prove you are a runner. In the future, you may not be able to run long distances again, but running shorter distances will still qualify you as a runner.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nevrgivup

Hilary, if I were you, I wouldn't do anything that you're not already doing now. So you're on the bench now, like many of us have been before. But you are still a runner, because you know that eventually you will get the green light to start running again. In the meantime, you keep active with what the doc allows, you participate on a running forum and you volunteer at races whenever you feel like it. Just like you did before, but without the running. You don't need to do anything extra to prove you are a runner. In the future, you may not be able to run long distances again, but running shorter distances will still qualify you as a runner.

Do you remember my first post in RWOL about coming back after back surgery??? I hope to post something similar again. <3 <3 For now, I am happy to be pain free. Thank you!! 

Little Blue

I've often thought it might be rewarding to work with Girls on the Run, which works with young girls to build positive, productive lives.  I'm sure they have opportunities that don't involve actual running.

That's what I'd do.

runwell3

Hilary, really sorry to hear of your current difficulty, but I'm confident that you'll emerge stronger than ever.  Have you considered triathlon in your future?  I've found sprint tris to be very challenging, very fun, and very balanced in physical training...a whole new horizon of athletic potential & discovery! (important for an old man such as myself). Also, you might find some interesting reading during your down time in the book : "Chi Running " by Danny Dreyer.  Some parts you can discard, others might prove very valuable. (also a website- chirunning.com.)

Take care , be well, & remember: "nevergiveup"!  If I make it to the start line on 4/21, you'll be among the special folks in my thoughts along the way.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I volunteered, supported friends running their races, crewed another friend to his first 100.  I'll do the same after I have my surgery, only my time out will be longer than my first lay off.  It's okay to take a step back too if you need to.  There's nothing wrong with that.

You'll be back before you know it.  Just keep doing what you're doing.

Running is dumb.

MothAudio

Honestly I don't know what I'd do but I can tell you what I've done. Before my event last Summer I think I could walk away from the sport and be just fine. I did this once before, after one failed comeback after another. It just hurt to see my fitness erode and watch others do what I could not. So I turned to other things but like Lily said I never stopped thinking of myself as a runner in spirit. My body was just broken but the fire never burned out. Now I look at running as something more than just a passion but an activity I really need to continue for my health. While I like the sport of running my passion is really about pursuing my personal best. Not know how you feel about it so it's hard to offer advice. Wish you the best.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Nevrgivup

Thank for your thoughts and responses. I can honestly say that I would be ok without running. I did it for a year and a half and was fine. I just found other activities to keep me busy. I'm not changing as a person. I just want to be active for the rest of my life. There is more to life than running and when your down for any given time, it does make you appreciate the other things that you did not give as much effort into like time spent with family and friends, reading, schoolwork, other sports. I recently took a liking to swimming and I look forward to getting back in the pool. Its nice to be a part of the running community and I think that is what hurts most when unable to do what others can. I think Moth said it best.