Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins are Thinking Chicago! (Read 51 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Morning!  Good luck, Damaris!  Looks like PR conditions out there today!

Jerry, hope you're having a great time at your aid station!

I still have 3 hours until my 10K starts.  I like to be up and have breakfast and coffee early on race day.  I am backing off from saying I "won't" race it today to saying that I will decide after the race starts what I feel like doing.  I don't think it will be a super hard push, though.  I'm too lazy. Smile  But maybe push a bit through the last couple.  We'll see.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Good luck Chicago runners!!!!

Every single muscle in my legs hurts....and my knees, hips, lower back and feet. Oy.  SRD for sure!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Good luck, Chicago runner.  Good luck, Mel.

DS running a 39deg fever last night. Can't wake up 5am for my LR. Managed to run a bit in the afternoon due to overcast condition but only managed 3M.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

SheCan

Morning penguins!

Didn't get up early enough for even a couple of miles this A.M.  Finishing getting ready for the road trip.

Tracilynn and Mitch-- great picture.  Traci you're so pretty!   Glad you had such a good race and F.E, though taking care of toddlers afterwards sounds exhausting.  Hope y'all get some rest today.

Good luck Zelanie, Docket, Chicago racers, and everyone racing today!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

tracilynn

Morning penguins,

zel, have fun "not racing" your race although we all know you will do well regardless. I mean irregardless Wink

kristin, enjoy your rest day, your HM time was reallygood so I can imagine you pushed and are sore.   Congrats on a great debut HM.

bin, sorry your little man is sick. its tough when the little ones are sick.

cherie, sorry you didn't get a longer run in this morning but a road trip sounds like a good excuse. Where are you going?

thinking about Jerry and Damaris!  My iPhone just autocorrected damaris to "damn kind". Ha.

Im a little sore today, Legs, ankles, hips. The 15k yesterday had a lot of small rolling hills. Nothing steep but LOTS of little hills. My body is not use to that Ha! I've never run over 8 miles either. I'm gonna run a few easy  later.

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Kristin, if you rest today, make sure you run tomorrow. I know that sounds awful, but it will help in the recovery. It will hurt like hell at first, but then your legs will loosen up, only do 1-2, or maybe 2.5. I am a firm believer in active recovery.

Traci, thanks for putting the pic in my RR. I think you did great! How do your legs feel today?

Zel, good luck at your race.

Bin, sounds like a rough morning.

Cherie, enjoy the road trip.

I need to wash and vacuum the vehicles after church, then will run this evening. I got Damaris and Doug on tracking for Chicago, good luck.

PADRunner

Morning everyone! 9 long done.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Good luck D and Jerry(with the beer).

Hog, Traci, and PAD: Nice races yesterday!!

Zel: You can't run a race and not race it. Wink

She Can: Where are you going? Texas?

Bin: I hope DS get better. That is hard when the kids are sick.

As for me, 14 miles done at an 8:38 pace. My legs felt heavy. Not tired, just heavy. Or are heavy and tired the same thing? Whatever...  Now we are off to day two of younger DD's swim meet. I hope to get some naps in when she is not racing. Have a good day, Pens.

Zelanie

Holy cow, folks, I ran the last 1.2 sub-8. Felt wonderful.  No PR cause I took it easy on the first half.  Still, I didn't know I had that in me.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hey guys!  I'm going to be missing in action most of the week.  I will be spending the week traveling with my boss, and negotiating my contract for the upcoming year.  Thankfully, my mileage is slowly coming down.  So, it shouldn't be so hard to get my mileage in.  I do have a 12 mile tempo run that I have to figure out how to fit in.  I am debating.  It should be on Tuesday, but I will be with my boss Tuesday night.  I'm not sure if blowing him off for 2 hours is a good idea.  I could do it tomorrow night, but that's only 48 hours off of a 20 mile run.  I think I'm going to take today off, and give it my best effort tomorrow.  I may not hit my paces, but if I just get the mileage in it won't leave many miles to deal with the rest of the week.  Between that run, and my Saturday run it doesn't leave me with much else for the week.

I'm feeling good after yesterday's run.  I think I'm in a good place mentally, and physically I feel strong.  I'll try to read some race reports during the week and comment, but like I said...it's going to be tough.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

tracilynn

Mitch running in with me around mile 9 here

~~~~~~~

Traci

Bin Running

Looks like you 2 are doing some sort of tango... Nice!

Mitch running in with me around mile 9 here

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

On 5am shift today..taking some time to read some "news".. Big grin
                              DS is still having fever at night.. He always seem ok in the day and the fever wil creep in at night.. Was told by my nieghbour it's an old folk tale that children grew and that come with fever.. At least he's reacting well to the med..

Mel, congrats on the 10K..

Kristin, muscles aches is normal.. enjoy the rest day..

Cherie, enjoy the road trip.. Holiday?

Traci, a few recovery shld take care of those aches.

Mitch, have a good day, Sir..

PAD, congats on the LR..

Jack, 14 @ 8:38 is tough.. Still figuring out that MP?

Awood, almost to that Marathon.. Your hardwork is going to reap big dividend.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Volunteering at CM was awesome experience.  Almost as tiring as actually running.  Should have taken a few breaks in the bar that was within the Aid station.  Luckily we did water, not Gatorade and didn't even get wet.   Wasted a lot of Duck tape on my running shoes.  Visited DDs after so it was a really nice day.