Beginners and Beyond

Penguin SaturFLAGdaily (Read 19 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Flag Day (and Weekend).  Congrats to the Kings (Jack and Brilliant).  Great game kept us up late, which was a challenge after a LR.

SRD for us.  Knees are a little achy, but otherwise feel great after yesterday's 9.  We'll take a walk and maybe find a street fair in the City.

Good luck Scotty, Kristin and any other racers today.

Have a great weekend !!!!

obiebyke

Good morning! The skies are grey and it's threatening thunderstorms. I don't want to get caught 7 miles from my car when lightning starts, so I'm going to do a long-ass run on my gym's indoor track. Yuck, but oh well.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Brilliant

Good morning!  Headed out for 10 shortly.

Jerry, sounds like a nice day, have fun.

Obie, long run on an indoor track - no fun!

Zelanie

Hi pens!  Today I am working my last WW shift for a while, watching the Costa Rica world cup match, buying a few last minute odds and ends (think DD needs a suitcase, for example), and making cookies for the rescue firefighters.

As far as running goes, Thursday I had a terrible run, and had to make a pit stop twice with the social group.  I find that so embarrassing (so why am I posting it here, heh).  So Friday I was disappointed and ate 3594523 of the snacks people had brought into work, was sure I was going to have a terrible run, and instead had a really lovely 6 miler.  No stopping, and my legs felt light and springy.  Today I have an easy 8.

My BIL posted a video of part of Mia's rescue.  You'll probably need it on full screen to see anything.  You can't see Mia- she's in the shadow along the grassy edge of one of the rocks, but you can get a sense of the cliff and see the guy working his way down to get her.  You can see his feet slipping on the loose gravel, too.  I think that's what scared her up in the first place.  I think she climbed up a bit, hit a patch of loose gravel, panicked, and bolted uphill until her paws were on solid ground.  But by then she was up and over from where she came up, so there wasn't a path back down.

Linky

Jerry- Enjoy the street fair!

obie- Good luck on the indoor LR!

Brillian- Enjoy the 10!

D- Sorry about the car!  Hope it gets fixed quickly without too much hassle.

Jack- Happy anniversary!

Cherie- Good to see you back!

Brilliant

Zel, LOL on the pit stops.

Wow, that's some unforgiving landscape Mia got stuck on.  I'm so glad the fire dept came out to help.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  9 tonight.  Thought of doing a few miles this morning and splitting the run but it's 85F, feels like 95F and 77 dewpoint, so I'll contain my excitement until tonight. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

3 or 4 easy miles today. I'm just going to run and see what happens.  HM training starts tomorrow with an LR so today is easy.

Good hockey game last night. Smile

Have a nice day.

Robert31320

Team TJ

3.2 miles as part of a group run hosted by our LRS.

Running for TJ because he can't.

on my way to badass

Hey penguins! Having a yard sale today. Getting rid of lots o'stuff. It finally stopped raining.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

hog4life

12 this morning with 7 running friends, then my son took me paint balling with a bunch of his friends. I was hit a few times but not too badly.

obiebyke

Whoa. I almost didn’t make it out of that one alive.The forecast changed to rain but no thunderstorms, so I thought I was good to go. The first 4 miles were okay. A little rain, a little wind, but okay. Then it got NUTS. The wind started gusting so high (I later found out 50mph) that I was pumping as hard as I could and barely moving. The rain was stinging my skin. And trees were falling all over the place. Thank god I was sort of close to my car. I got there as fast as I could. Safe and sound. 5.2 instead of 10. I’ll take it!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Whoa. I almost didn’t make it out of that one alive.The forecast changed to rain but no thunderstorms, so I thought I was good to go. The first 4 miles were okay. A little rain, a little wind, but okay. Then it got NUTS. The wind started gusting so high (I later found out 50mph) that I was pumping as hard as I could and barely moving. The rain was stinging my skin. And trees were falling all over the place. Thank god I was sort of close to my car. I got there as fast as I could. Safe and sound. 5.2 instead of 10. I’ll take it!

Wow, that sounds like a Scotty run, Obie.  Guess you should have gone to the indoor track after all.  Glad you are okay.

Mitch, you do so many fun things.  Sorry you got shot.

We took a 1 hour walk and sat on the deck all day.  Now we are having Moose Drool with Turkey Legs.