Beginners and Beyond

"I'm Big but it's All Muscle"... You'll still die young (Read 600 times)

Village people

Considering the abuse NFL player give their bodies and the heaviest ones are probably not fit aerobically, especially after their playing days are over, I think isolating BMI and drawing conclusions based on that is highly questionable.

But look at that big guy run!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

There are a lot of other factors to consider as well.  A lot of big guys who work out really hard, and are even aerobically fit, still suffer from sleep apnea.  Sleep apnea can take a toll on all of your body.  There's also the fact that supporting large amounts of muscle mass requires you to consume huge amount of calories, and everything that comes with those calories.  Moderation always seems to be key when health is involved. 

Some studies suggest that simply by being taller I have a shorter life expectancy.  I guess we just do what we can with what we have.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

MrNamtor

The real point is that being an athlete and having a lot of muscle like a linebacker will not magically negate the bad effects of carrying 30-50+ lbs of extra fat on your body.  You will still get heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes if your arteries are clogged with fat and your pancreas and liver are fatty.

MrNamtor

I quickly took a look at the article. We're talking huge weight numbers with those NFL players... What about ordinary people? Does it mean that a man (or woman) who is at, say, 26 BMI, so a bit over the limit, but claims he/she is "big boned" or all muscles, is fooling him/herself?

Most people who attribute their high bmi to "muscle" are fooling themselves. You can look at a lot of fighter (boxers and mma) and see how muscular they are. Then look at their weights/heights and you see their BMI is either normal or just tipping into the overweight category.

Most people who attribute their high bmi to "muscle" are fooling themselves. You can look at a lot of fighter (boxers and mma) and see how muscular they are. Then look at their weights/heights and you see their BMI is either normal or just tipping into the overweight category.

I think this is especially true for men, due to the fact that men naturally have much lower body fat percentage and can have a much lower "healthy" body fat percentage than women can - women need more essential fat.  

Meat Wagon

Puker

But look at that big guy run!

His heel striking is gonna kill him before his high cholesterol.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

MrNamtor

His heel striking is gonna kill him before his high cholesterol.

Dead from heel striking by 40. Tragic. And it could have all been avoided if he'd gone and got some vibrams.

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Good topic.  We actually had a lecture at our university given by Dr. Barry Scheuermann from the University of Toledo on the topic of body mass, cardiovascular fitness, and risk of cardiovascular disease.  Dr. Scheuermann presented a compilation of data that grouped three groups of people according to their BMI, and then subgrouped them according to their relative levels of physical activity.  Unsurprisingly, a larger mass brings a increased risk of cardiovascular disease, and physical activity lowered it.  But what I remembered from the lecture was that physically fit large people had a slightly lower risk of cardiovascular disease than latent, nonactive people with low body mass.

So my take-home from that lecture was that it was okay to be a fit fat boy.  BTW, I'm 5'8", 190-195# and have run 9 marathons and 4 ultras.  Just one big honkin slurpee away from being classified as obese according to BMI.

I'll check with one of our profs here and see if I can't get a copy of the powerpoint to that lecture.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

Love the Half

If you can get that PowerPoint, I'd love to see it.  I'll send you my email if you can get it.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

delicate flower

Go Rams!

<3

Village people

Go Rams!

We have always called em the Lambs Smile

As far as the thread goes. I am a former fat lineman, now I am a fat runner. I learned in science class in elem school that part of the life cycle is death. It will happen. It will happen if I am 365, 265, or 165. Have a good time along the way, do what you love, tell your loved ones that you love em, and put down that 2nd twinkie.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

jwhite

I carry more muscle than the average person due to the physical nature of my job and my genetics. What that means for me is that at5'8", it would be difficult for me to get below 145 or so. When I was at my fittest, I was 155 and still could not see my abs well. I could dead lift over 400lbs, though. I doubt I carry any more muscle today

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

That guy has bigger boobs than me.