Beginners and Beyond

How to get a new 5K PR and win the race at 63 (Read 77 times)

No more marathons

The first part is easy - make sure the 5K marathon is only 2.9 miles.

The second one - pick a very low key, first year race.  No t-shirts and an entry fee of $10 or ten cans of food for the local food bank.  Make sure it has limited advanced publicity and most people are walking.  Run the race with a local college student who eases back in the last 50 meters.

The rewards included a pumpkin pie for first place.  woo hoo.

Official time of 20:58 for a garmin measured 2.89 - not bad for a Saturday workout.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

happylily

Well done, sir! Way to represent the older generation! I love pumpkin pie, but l have to buy my own. I'm not fast enough to win any 5ks, even a 2.9 mile one.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I love those 2.9 mile 5k races. They need to offer more of those. Enjoy the pie. Smile

GinnyinPA

Congratulations.  A pie is a good prize, much more useful than another trophy.

tracilynn

LOL Congrats!  Nice prize too

~~~~~~~

Traci

Nice! But no whipped cream?

Dave

Little Blue

Great strategy!

No more marathons

Nice! But no whipped cream?

DW made some and we're enjoying the spoils of the race while watching the Borgias on Netflix.

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

21 minutes for 2.9 is still a terrific time....CONGRATS !!!!

No more marathons

21 minutes for 2.9 is still a terrific time....CONGRATS !!!!

Thanks, it was a good effort.  I ran a 5K in 21:02 back at the end of May, but have been injured since then.  So this was a test to see how my left leg is recovering.  Had a slight twinge at the one mile mark, but was able to keep the pace for mile two, and then the last .9 or so was about 30 seconds per mile faster.  So all in all, a good effort.

He's a leaker!

MothAudio

Congrats on the win! You can only compete with whomever shows up. Did you know the pacer? Were you challenged at any point? Is 20:58 your all-time or masters 5k PB? The unicorn brought you good luck. I've only experienced it once and it is a wonderful feeling, especially @ 55.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Mmmmm...beer

Great job, congrats on the win!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Nice job, Blue!

Pie!

You Rang?

Congratulations on the win!  Pie is good.  Trophy pie is even better!

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)