Beginners and Beyond

Oski runs a 5k (Read 85 times)

Hip Redux

Background:  July 2013 I injured my hip.  Went misdiagnosed and ran through pain until Jan when the MRA determined I had a torn hip labrum (thank you to Mandy whose story convinced me to go back to the doc).  My last run was in early Feb when the pain just got to be too much.  Surgery was in May where I had a little nip/tuck done on the ol' hip, along with tenotomy of the psoas.

The prep:  Lots of things hurt after surgery and I was out of shape yada yada yada... I started running again in September. 30 seconds run, 30 seconds walk.    It just so happens that there was a 5k coming up that was exactly one year to the day of my last race.  For no other reason other than I wanted to not pass the year mark, I targeted it as my come back race (my trainer was not really on board with that line of thinking... but he's also aware that runners are nuts).

So once I got up to a run/walk interval that would allow me to do the couch-to-5k program, I started that.  Unfortunately, about two weeks in my OTHER hip started to both me, to the point where I couldn't even walk without pain.  I had a complete mental breakdown and dropped off the forums and everything running related. You people can be awfully annoying when I'm injured.

I got checked out by the doc and he thought it was hip flexor crap giving me trouble.  Surgery hip was looking good.  Worked back up to run/walk intervals and did a 5 mile turkey trot, walking about 1.5 miles and running the rest in intervals.  Figured that was as good test as any and signed up for the 5k.

The race: This wasn't even much of a race worthy of a RR.  It was my longest continuous run since Feb, so there was no glorious fist pump in meeting my goal at the finish line....other than I made it to the end.

Before the race I told myself to just take it easy.  HA HA HA.  Does anyone ever do that when they say they will?  I ran as hard as my body would let me, which was frustrating because it was fucking hard and slower than I felt I should be for the amount of effort.   But I had no hip pain during so that was good.

And the real reason why I posted the RR is because I got a classic Oski photo that I needed to share.  In the green jacket.   DaveP can brush off that composite sketch and get going on that again.

For two days after, I was so damn achy.   My hip was not a fan.  Running is bad for you.

tl;dr I jogged a 5k and returning to running after 7 months sucks.

Docket_Rocket

Yay for the 5K!  Glad to see you here again!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

tl;dr 

If this is true for someone, they need help.

And it is nice having you back in action.  

<3

outoftheblue

Congrats!  So happy to see you running again Oski (as well as back on the forums).  We are supposed to be annoying.  

Life is good.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yay!!!  Good to see you around here, my fellow hip buddy!  Congrats on the first race post-op!  Smile

I hope your hip is settling back down again with some rest.  I am trying to remember that we are both still healing, even after 7 and 9 months.  How's the non-op hip doing?  I'm finding that I have hip flexor issues on my operated side if I don't keep up with my glute exercises.  The fun never ends!

Running is dumb.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Slacker, I just ran a marathon 1 year after my torn hamstring surgery, and I had 6 months of no running.  Get off the couch!

So once I got up to a run/walk interval that would allow me to do the couch-to-5k program, I started that.  Unfortunately, about two weeks in my OTHER hip started to both me, to the point where I couldn't even walk without pain.  I had a complete mental breakdown and dropped off the forums and everything running related. You people can be awfully annoying when I'm you all are injured.

FYP

No seriously, you injury is really difficult to return from, the hip and girdle (*giggles*) is way more complicated than a simple hamstring re-attachment.  Its good to see you running and back in the game.  Do you feel better now that you are running, or does it feel like one long continuous PT session?  Also I say equipment fail with the fanny pack on the outside of your jacket on a 5K.  Was that the REAL Santa at the end, cause if so I wanna run that race next year.

It's a start.  Good to see you back in action.

LRB

This thread is full of awesomeness!  Putting the tl:dr at the end made me lol, vintage O!

Hopefully everything works out for you, in the meantime do not salt your food until you taste it to see if it actually needs salt.  

Thank you. I needed the lower right calf and the back of the left upper arm. Almost there.

Also, to be fair, we can be awfully annoying even when you're not injured.

Anyway, welcome back to the forums & to racing, and congrats on finishing. (Everyone's a winner!) Best of luck on continuing the comeback; hope you stick around here to report on it.

Dave

Hip Redux

Thanks guys Smile  Just got back from another ~3 mile run and I'm still achy but not bad.  Woot.

No seriously, you injury is really difficult to return from, the hip and girdle (*giggles*) is way more complicated than a simple hamstring re-attachment.  Its good to see you running and back in the game.  Do you feel better now that you are running, or does it feel like one long continuous PT session?  Also I say equipment fail with the fanny pack on the outside of your jacket on a 5K.  Was that the REAL Santa at the end, cause if so I wanna run that race next year.

The fanny pack is actually my bib holder.  It was empty.  I usually carry my car keys in it but I gave my key to Baboon since he would be done first.   Look, no one said I was fashionable.

It feels like one long PT session, honestly.  Because I'm still doing rehab work with a trainer focused on all hip strength stuff.  The biggest challenge has been the psoas lengthening - it took 4 months just to be able to lift my leg enough to put my pants on.  And I still have to grab the leg and lift it if I'm stepping over something high, etc.   It's better though, so progress.

It was man in a Santa suit.    I'm not sure that qualifies as real or not. lol

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good to see you back at it. Smile

PADRunner

Congrats! Welcome back.

tracilynn

So glad you are on the mend and stringing together some miles 

~~~~~~~

Traci

bluerun

Super B****

YAY!!  You've got to start somewhere... and hey, coming back after a long hiatus sucks a lot less than not coming back at all.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

GinnyinPA

Welcome back.  I know how hard it is to be patient when coming back from injury.  The first few months suck, because you remember so well what you used to be able to do so easily.  The good news is, it does come back.