Beginners and Beyond

Tuffragette Penguins TuesDAILY (Read 24 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

tuffragette (noun) : A person who has weathered the storm and has gotten tougher with experience.

Morning Pengs.  Going to be tough getting DW outside today.  Might have to run inside.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  This tuffragette has 5 X 800s and I hope I end up more tuffragette after them.

Jerry, hope you get that run in.

Sorry I've been MIA.  I have been working 10-12 hour days, plus running, plus friends visiting.  It's been busy!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Tuffragette is a nice word. I hope to be one someday.

Jerry, hope you get to run outside. Maybe try tempting with a treat. Hee

Damaris, enjoy the intervals.

3M done one the morning before poo monster struck. Non-event, fortunately. Maybe will squeeze in another 5-6M before a late dinner.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Yesterday was stretch/strength and 2:12 plank day. Then I went to work and found out we had the mother-of-all-audits starting in mere hours, and I was there for 13+hours. I made it home in time to say goodnight to my kids, but only because they did not go to bed on time.

Today I got my 4 miles done (in less than 40 minutes!) and a 1:30 plank. Temp at 5am was 78 degrees, dew point was 77. It actually cooled off a few degrees since then. Can't wait to get started on another 13-hour day!

Tuffragette. I like it. Smile

Have a great day, everyone!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Tuesday!   Today for me will be a run of somewhere between 3.5 and 5 miles after work, probably do a hill route today.   The high for today will only be 92 degrees, which is a nice 'low' for us in San Antonio after the weather we've had this summer.  Unfortunately, after today it will be back to early a.m. running for me again, because starting tomorrow, our temps are once again heading toward the 100 degree mark for the rest of the week.

Today is August 27th!  Holidays for today are Banana Day and Petroleum Day.

banana cartoons, banana cartoon, banana picture, banana pictures, banana image, banana images, banana illustration, banana illustrations

banana cartoons, banana cartoon, banana picture, banana pictures, banana image, banana images, banana illustration, banana illustrations

photo dinosaur_zps9fd37ca7.gif

photo manfuel_zpsa34467bd.gif

natural gas cartoons, natural gas cartoon, natural gas picture, natural gas pictures, natural gas image, natural gas images, natural gas illustration, natural gas illustrations

natural gas cartoons, natural gas cartoon, natural gas picture, natural gas pictures, natural gas image, natural gas images, natural gas illustration, natural gas illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Is it storming up there, Jerry?  We got some rain last night - FINALLY - but not enough to really make a difference in this darn drought and our falling aquifer.  We need a rain storm of nearly biblical proportion to get us out of this!    Not a full 40 days and 40 nights, but a week straight of some good soaking rain would be nice.  It may rain again today - 60% chance predicted - so for my run after work today I may have to weather the storm...cuz I don't do the treadmill thing, I don't care what the weather is like outside, it's outside running for me or nuthin'.  HATE that damn treadmill.

Sounds like a busy week for you, Damaris!

Sorry about the Poo monster, Bin.  What can you do when the Poo monster hits?  Well, maybe bounce like Tigger... bounce home as fast as you can! Big grin

Wow, that is one long work day, Mickey.  Good luck with today if you have to go through that again!  Glad you were able to get some miles in today.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Bin: how is the cough?

Sorry, I have to get out of here. SRD for me from running but dd2 has swim and back to school night. Ugh...

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  I think it was Scotty who said something like "good thing you get to run yesterday after a long work day," so I want to thank him for that.  That framed it perfectly!  I had a great 6 by the time I finally got home last night.  Ended up running on the TM and it was still great.  Tonight I have another 4-6.  Then tomorrow, my first group track workout.  Yikes!

Today I got a 2:00 plank in.  Zoe brought a ball and laid down under me while Mia came up and licked my chin.  I did get a 1:00 plank in yesterday too, but forgot to post it.  I decided that I don't go and run a LR every time I run, so some times I could take an "easy day" on the planking challenge too.

QOTD: What would be a good present for somebody who is just getting back into running?  My sister (who has run a marathon as well as many shorter races) is just getting back into running after having her second baby.  Since having kids, she's definitely more of a casual runner.  Any ideas?

Jerry- Good luck keeping the streak going!  I also found that more frequent, shorter runs seemed to be the key when coming back.  But you've got me beat with that streak!

D- Better running than skipping your runs to post more here!  Though since your team was up against mine last week, maybe not! Wink

Bin- Hope you get the rest of your miles in!  If it's not trouble with one end, it's the other!

Mickey- Good luck with your long day!

Scotty- So you like bananas, then?  But not banana cream pie, I assume.

Jack- Good luck with back to school night.

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Busy the last few days.. well, busy Saturday and yesterday, and Sunday I took completely off from doing anything, even the Internet. It was wonderful.

6.1 miles on Saturday, 4 miles yesterday with 400/400/200 x2. Ran the last 200 in 53.5 quite easily, pretty happy with that. Unfortunately, now my stupid foot is bothering me. Maybe the start of plantar fasciitis, I'm stretching it out and rolling it on a frozen water bottle every few hours during the day at work. Doesn't hurt to walk on it or anything so hopefully treating it nicely for a couple days and reduced mileage will be enough to get rid of it. I have PT exercises that I did for the left foot that I can start doing to strengthen it too. Ah, the joys of being made of glass...

tracilynn

Lauren, I know EXACTLY how you feel, I am made of glass too. Angry So frustrating. I had weird arch pains (PF scare?)  last week and taping my arch helped a lot.

I'm back from vacation!  I should say "vacation" ha. It was great Other than the 9 hours in the car with 3 toddlers there and back Dead

My kids loved the beach.  we surfed waves, collected sea shells, watched pelicans, caught baby frogs, lizards, crabs, sand fleas, saw a 5 ft hammerhead shark (we were on a fishing pier) went to aviation museum, flew kites, ate our weight in seafood (Well I did)  I drank a few (hundred) ha Shock top beers.

I had planned to wake this morning and do a sunrise run but I just turned off my alarm and went back to sleep. UGH. SO mad at myself now. I have got to get out and run tonight. I think I have run 3 miles in a week?? Or more.

Im still planking every day. Plank streak challenge ends SEPT 12. Half way there!

~~~~~~~

Traci

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

3.5 mile "easy fartlek" in Key West by the beach. No rain today Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Jack, still coughing but manageable.

6M fast @8:55 in kinvaras. Not sure what got into me but I am able to maintain easy effort. Maybe it's the chillis I had at lunch.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Hi everyone!  No time for personals...the boss needs me to make changes to his slide deck and get it back to him before lunch.

5.5 miles of fartleks and a 1:15 plank for me last night.  Tonight is supposed to be a 9-mile easy run...we'll see.  I have some sort of mental block against going more than 8 miles after a full day of work.

Mel, does you sister have knucklelights?  That might be a good gift, if her running gets pushed to later in the evening when someone else is around to watch the babies.

Back to work!

hog4life

Zel, maybe a new running outfit or a giftcard to LRS.

I did 6.2 miles last night, the first ~4.6 was tempo/fartleks, then ~1.6 with the NOBO group. There are 5 people I work with that signed up, it's really cool to help coworkers. One minute plank last night, had to let my GS win. Today will be a RD an helping DW with some yard sale stuff for this coming weekend.