Beginners and Beyond

Marathon tune up #1 - Gulf Beach HM - go out fast and hang on for dear life (Read 85 times)

delicate flower

I am 10 weeks out from my marathon and this was my first tune up race.  My goal today was to PR (1:34:51).  However, I also wanted to test myself and was willing to risk a blow up.  I was pretty sure I am in PR shape, so I decided to shoot for a couple minutes better than that.  Weather was good today for racing (50's, overcast, low humidity).  It was also windy.  I expected that to become an issue.  My plan was to go out fast around a 7:00 pace and see what happens.

Warm up was a mile jog with some fast strides.  I figured I'd finish in the top 50 so I lined up accordingly.

1-  7:00

2-  6:57

3-  7:03

Feeling good so far.  Not pushing too hard but keeping ahead of PR pace.  The course was an out and back along the shore and a couple of miles were on the boardwalk.  I noticed it was low tide.  My nose noticed too.

4-  7:02

5-  7:04

6-  6:58

Damn, feeling really good so far.  This pace felt easy.  Heart rate was in check.  I knew though, based on the direction the flags were blowing, that I was getting a pretty big wind assist.  I crossed the halfway point about 90 seconds ahead of PR pace, feeling great and ready to pick up the pace.

7-  7:13

SMACK...there it is.  I hit the turnaround and there was the headwind.  About 15 mph and it didn't let up.  Right away, the plan now became to just hold on to the PR.

8-  7:19

9-  7:30

10-  7:40

11-  7:40

It felt like I was just running uphill these five miles.  I wasn't strong enough to keep my early fast pace with this headwind.  I was giving it what I could though, and I was in some pretty serious race pain.  I felt like the PR was slipping away but I wasn't too worried about it.  For most of this stretch, I was running alone.  No other runners around me, which made this even tougher.  

12-  7:52

13.1-  7:24

My legs were killing me but I picked up the pace the last mile as the course changed direction.  The last .15 of this race is on the beach.  Urgh...no chance for a kick when you're running on beach sand.  Brutal way to finish a race.  I crossed the finish line under my PR time and was thrilled that I hung on.

Time was 1:34:38, good for a whopping 13 second PR

33 / 605 OA.  NICE.

8 / 54 M40-44.  God dammit my AG is fast.  8th with a 33 OA finish??  Heh.  Big grin

So I'm happy with this race considering I'm neck deep in marathon training and I had to fight the wind today.  My splits are ugly, but I'm pretty psyched that I held on to PR.  I probably went out too fast, but I also wanted to go out fast.  I wouldn't know if I could hold that pace if I didn't try.  McMillan puts my marathon time in the 3:19 range.  Not a BQ but I've still got time.  My next race is the Hartford HM in four weeks, which is six weeks before the marathon.

Walk the plank, son.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats on the PR. As somebody that runs in headwinds a lot, I can attest the wind wall is brutal. Great job in those conditions.

Damaris

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Congrats Baboon!! Great job during MRT and holding on and pushing into that wind!

damn fine!

damn skippy 40-44 is fast one of our local elites is a 43 yo 1:18 HM...  Completely demoralizes me!  Smile

Congrats on the PR!

That out & back course with the back in full headwind sucks balls. And finish in the sand? WTF? I'm surprised they didn't just make you run mile 13 in a potato sack. A damn shame you couldn't get a real feel as to your full capability. But nicely done anyway.

Dave

outoftheblue

Congrats on the PR!  It's tough finishing the last 6 miles into a headwind, not to mention trying to push yourself when you are all alone out there.   Way to kick butt.  Cool medal as well.

Life is good.

Julia1971

Winds!  (Shakes fist angrily).  Very nice splits at the beginning.  You were holding a nice steady pace.  Good job hanging on after hitting the wind.  Congratulations on the PR!  Pretty medal, too.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Oh, man! I CANNOT wait for your marathon, Baboon! Very, very, well done today. If not for the headwind you would have been even faster. Very nice running and the medal is equally cool.

LRB

And finish in the sand? WTF? I'm surprised they didn't just make you run mile 13 in a potato sack. 

lol

According to Daniels you do not get back from the wind what you lose from it.

I hate racing alone but invariably end up doing just that regardless of the distance.

What'd you do for nutrition/hydration during the race?

Nice job Phil. When I lived in Milford I used to run that stretch all the time - when you get that east or west wind along the beach it's definitely tough. Congrats on the pr, and keep choppin'.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    B-Plus

Nice job on the PR, Baboon! That last little bit looks ugly. Does this count as a XC course?

music_girl117

Awesome job!  I think you did great dealing with the wind.  It's too bad you couldn't have gone into the wind first so that you could have gotten a big boost at the turnaround.  Then again, that might have resulted in a slower time overall...not sure.  Still, congrats again!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

happylily

Love that medal! Arrr!

Who cares about the splits! While in the midst of marathon training, without proper taper, you could only hang on to those faster miles for so long. With proper rest, there would have been more of them, no doubt about it. At least you know now that you have that pace in you for your next HM, given a better taper. Wind, like heat, is a real killer. You ran strong! Congratulations, Phil!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome job and kick ass medal!!! Congrats on the (13 second) PR 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

runwell3

Congratulations on a great effort Phil...way to hang on!  The wind always seems to be up & in your face from mi.7-10 on this course.  You looked strong when I saw you in mi.7.  I'm curious, how did your garmin measure course length? and how would you rate the race overall.  Seems to be drawing faster runners from a wider geographical area.  Good luck in Hartford & target marathon...you will love Boston when you get there!

Cyberic

Great race!