Beginners and Beyond

HM help please (cross posted from running 101) - RR added (Read 96 times)

happylily

Just wanted to thank all those who gave me advice and support.  I ended up deciding to run the whole way, taking breaks as I needed.  I set myself 3 goals: A) Under 2:20xx, B) Under 2:30Tight lippedx and C) Under 2:36:39 (last year's time on the same course).

I knew that miles 5-10 would be hilly (Flying Pig), so decided to go a little faster for the first 5 miles, as I knew I would lose time on miles 5-10.  This strategy seemed to work well for this race, as I did end up needing to walk up parts of 2 hills.  I also took my own water, so that I could fuel as I wanted, so I didn't stop at any of the water stations (until around mile 10, where I took a little gatorade).  The last 3 miles of the race are pretty much downhill, and I flew down these hills, with 2 of my fastest miles being miles 11 & 12.

My final time was: 2:17:25, my second fastest half marathon ever, and the fastest I've run since October 2011!

That is most awesome. Congratulations, I'm very happy for you!

And thanks for coming back here and letting us know how it went!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

Wow, congrats!!

Mostly harmless

Thanks for following up.  I didn't post when you asked for advice because my 2 cents were already covered by others.  I'm glad you decided to run the whole thing and ended up exceeding your "A" goal by quite a bit!  Congratulations!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job!

Just wanted to thank all those who gave me advice and support.  I ended up deciding to run the whole way, taking breaks as I needed.  I set myself 3 goals: A) Under 2:20xx, B) Under 2:30Tight lippedx and C) Under 2:36:39 (last year's time on the same course).

I knew that miles 5-10 would be hilly (Flying Pig), so decided to go a little faster for the first 5 miles, as I knew I would lose time on miles 5-10.  This strategy seemed to work well for this race, as I did end up needing to walk up parts of 2 hills.  I also took my own water, so that I could fuel as I wanted, so I didn't stop at any of the water stations (until around mile 10, where I took a little gatorade).  The last 3 miles of the race are pretty much downhill, and I flew down these hills, with 2 of my fastest miles being miles 11 & 12.

My final time was: 2:17:25, my second fastest half marathon ever, and the fastest I've run since October 2011!

Damaris

Rondog65

Excellent job!!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Love the Half

Congrats on a good race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

runningmum

AKA bear2009

Thanks everyone!

2013 Goals:

1. Start, stay, and finish the year uninjured!