Beginners and Beyond

Motatory Monday Penguins (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Motatory:  Continually Moving......

....so Penguins...get up and get about it! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Our weather is going crazy again.  Yesterday 75 degrees. This morning 60 degrees and the temp will drop throughout the day.  I plan to go run after work (4:30 pm Texas time) at Fort Sam Houston and by then the temp will be 46 degrees with the wind blowing gustily, making the temp a 'feels like" 38 degrees, oh yay!  Tomorrow, more low temps, with a high of only 40 and Tuesday night more freezing rain predicted like we had last week.

I had a busy Saturday of running, doing a 5K in the morning and a 5K in the afternoon,  My reports and photos are somewhere on the front page.   7 races completed so far for this year.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Scotty - sounds like you are going to need to bundle up!

As for me - A friend moved back from Arizona and we hung out singing karaoke all afternoon. Running wise - another low mileage week. This whole month has had nothing but weeks under 30mpw. Guess I'll call it a "cut back month" LOL. The foot is getting worse. I say foot because it is more than the heel - toes are going numb and there is a pain on the arch by the forefoot

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Scott and Gus and Pengs.  SRD for us, just the health club.  We are back in the deep freeze...again.

Take care of the foot  Gus.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Still congested but will try some miles tonight.  Two weeks with this this shit.  our weather is not crazy.  80s all week including the day of the marathon, which will be the hottest one we've gotten so far.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

Hey all, posted my run yesterday but i don't think many people check the sunday penguins. 7.41 miles @ 10:21m/m. Hill profile was pretty crazy too but I won't repost that Smile

Today is going to be a RD, my calf is pretty sore so it will just be weight at the gym today. Chest and back.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I forgot to sign up for today's spin class at the crack of dawn yesterday and by the time I remembered around noon it was full. So no spinning this morning. But when I found out it was full I was honestly a little relieved. Last week was my first week back running (8.3 miles woot!), plus 5.5 on the elliptical and 22 bike miles, plus yoga and strengthening....I haven't had a total rest day since last Saturday and I'm tired!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Morning guys!

Will be on holiday the whole week. Our lunar new year is this Friday. Let's welcome the year if the horse.

Was busy last week and didn't run much. Played soccer  in Saturday and the last time I played was a few years ago. Naturally, my old shoes doesn't hold up and started falling apart. Sore hamstring for 3days.

Another crazy thing is a unit a floor down caught fire and everyone has to evacuate. Not directing below my unit so no damage to us. The unit and the one above it was charred. Felt so sorry for the neighbor with the new year coming.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Morning!  Yesterday I went to the annual potluck for my running club, and I won a $40 gift card to the LRS!  Going to save it for some new shoes, of course.  Today is either a MLR of 10 miles or a SRD, depending on whether DD wants to do stuff for her actual birthday, which is today.

Scotty- That must be a challenge adapting to the weather when it is always changing!

Gus- I hope that the foot starts getting better soon!  Remember that plenty of people run HMs on 30  MPW.

Jerry- Enjoy the health club!

D- Hope you are getting past the sickness soon!

Jimmy- Nice run yesterday!

Kristin- That's great mileage for your first week back!

Bin- Glad you didn't have any damage in the fire.  So sorry for your neighbors who did.

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning, Penguins!! I am not particularly motatory, I am built to be stationary. So I am always fighting my natural tendencies. I have a short quartet performance tonight -- the local chorus is doing a show for the church where they practice, and the quartets from the chorus are singing a couple of songs each. So DH is going to drive down and we'll have an early dinner out, then I'll get my sparkle on and we'll head out for the show. Should be fun!

Scotty -- we're supposed to have a cold day tomorrow with a high of 22, but the rest of the week should be warmer. It should hit 50 today!!

Gustav -- any plans to get your foot checked out? Numb toes can't be right ...

Jerryb -- stay warm and enjoy the health club!!

Docket -- hope you feel better quickly!!

jblack -- nice run!! Enjoy the weights today!

kristin -- sounds like you were due for a break!!

Bin -- have a good week off!! Sorry to hear about the fire, but glad it didn't mess y'all up!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I knew someone would sneak in while I was fixing the formatting.  Morning, Zel!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Have fun, HsM!  Enjoy your dinner out!

GinnyinPA

Scotty - they said on the news last night that they are expecting snow in Houston out of this front.  Enjoy your cool runs.

Gustav - you might want to see a doctor about the foot.  Scraping the heel shouldn't cause pain in the arch or numb toes.

Jerry and Jimmy - have fun at the gym.

D - I hope your congestion clears up.  Is it allergies or a cold?

Kristin - yes, I'd say you've earned a rest day.  I think you're trying to make up for lost time, but you want to be careful with that.

Z - congratulations on winning the gift card.  I hope you get a run in today.  Happy Birthday to DD.  That was a beautiful cake you made for her.

Bin - Happy almost New Year.  Will you have more time to run now, or will you be spending more time with family and friends?  Sorry about the fire in your building. That's scary when it's that close.

HM - have fun at your concert tonight.

AFM:  Temps are over 30 today, but windy.  I'm planning to run 5 today but haven't decided on whether to go out and run in the melting snow/ice or stay inside where it's dry.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Not trying to make up for lost time. Just trying to keep up cross training while reincorporating back running since my mileage is very low. I want to keep it up too even when my mileage gets higher. I realized I hadn't done any cross training in months prior to bring injured and I think that was a problem.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Whats up penguins? Feeling a little bummed and frustrated...

Confirmed with a sports ortho I do indeed have ITBS. He recommended some stretching and strengthening exercises for the long term but he's not hopeful it will do anything to help me before my HM in 3 weeks. Only short term solution would be a cortisone shot but I'm not crazy about that option. I bought a knee strap designed for ITBS, wel'll see how that goes.

The good news (if you can call it that) is he says I won't do long term damage if I can fight through it and do the HM. After that I'll lay off running for as long as it takes to get it taken care of. Guess I'll post this on my ITBS thread I started as well.

But enough of my whining! Good luck everyone with your training!