Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins...how's the weather? (Read 25 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Had to finagle my running schedule a little this week because I am headed to Baltimore later today for a work conference that goes Thursday-Sunday. I switched Thursday's run to today instead of going to spin class today because I wanted one less thing to worry about tomorrow, as tomorrow will be the longest day of the conference, as there is Key Note address, Welcome Ceremony, ect after sessions, as well as an alumni reunion for my college after that. So I did 5 easy yesterday and a 4.5 mile fartlek today. I did it on the treadmill even though it isn't *so* cold outside because I have done my fartleks on the treadmill the last 3 weeks and *gasp* I kind of....wait for it....like treadmill speedwork now. I always hated the dreadmill but constantly changing speeds actually makes it quite tolerable.

Not sure how much I will check in while at the Conference as it will be phone only and I hate posting on my phone. I am skipping out of conference sessions and running a 10 mile race Sunday though....my plan calls for 10 miles and there was a 10 mile race nearby that I will run as a training run. Shhhh don't tell my boss or former professors.....lol.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD for me, although I might do a bike ride or weights.  We'll see.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

Hey penguins! I started my 10k training this week so yesterday was a 30 min run 10m slow 10m at Tempo and another 10m slow. Tonight calls for 6x 400m intervals.

Also signed up for a 5k this weekend. A race really wasn't on the schedule but it's for a missionary group that my church is a part of called No Longer. I will run the 5k then them mile fun run with EK and then one of the members of our church is having a Easter party for toddlers - 6th grade.

Also finally worked on my blog a little lastnight. The only post right now is from my race report of the rumpshaker. I will try and get an about me page done tonight and perhaps another blog post just to get things rolling. Feel free to bookmark it Smile adadontherun.com

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Morning!  Track workout tonight!  Just 3 x 1600 @ goal 10K pace. Smile

Zoe is doing well, according to the doc, and can start doing 10 min walks 3x/day.  She has a little more freedom in the house, but needs another week before she can do stairs.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I have a seven mile tempo run on tap for later. It should be a nice, cool day, and the weather for my 5K on Saturday should be excellent.

Have a nice day.

P.S. Jerry, sorry about your bad news. Glad to hear he is better.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I will again spend my day formatting requests for money, and if I'm lucky, I'll get it done today.  We'll see.  Quartet rehearsal tonight, just three to go before we step on stage next weekend!!

kristin -- you LIKE the TM now?  You are seriously disturbed, missy!!

Docket -- enjoy your SRD, whichever workout it contains!!

jblack -- hope the 10k training goes well!!

Zelanie -- sounds like Zoe is doing great!!

Jack -- sounds like the weather is smiling on you!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm glad that Zoe is doing well , My back issues are coming along.  I have to pull over every 30 minutes and move.  I had a second adjustment today.  I have a massage tonight, and a.other adnustment before I hit the road Friday.  Stupid phone.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I like doing my weekly fartlek on the treadmill. I wouldn't go as far as to say I enjoy the torture machine in general though. Still don't think I could do a LR on it.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It is unusually hot for this time of year in San Antonio.  We will be in the 90s today, about 20 degrees higher than normal.

For the 5K I did last night at 6:30 pm, our temp was 88 degrees.  Report and photos here:  https://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/a9049a3942bb4f8d835b938485778cea#focus

I am off today because I have some appointments at the hospital - my routine annual exams - and then I will probably go do my weight training circuit after that.  Today is a non-running day.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

I am glad Zoe is doing well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Zelanie-- glad Zoe is doing better.

Awood-- Sad  I'm sorry you're having such a time with your back.  I hope the massage tonight helps.

kristin-- yes, i've found doing the variable speeds on the TM go a long ways towards making it more bearable.

Scotty-- yikes!  That's hot!

Well here its cooler than it has been.  Its about 60* and a bit windy.  Supposed to get much, much more windy as the day progresses though.  BUT, I'm not running, so let the wind blow all it wants!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Robert31320

Team TJ

Our weather is beautiful.  RD for me.

Running for TJ because he can't.

on my way to badass

Hey Penguins!

Kristin- Thanks for starting us off.  I hear you about posting from a phone.  Mine is very temperamental.

Jblack- enjoy those intervals!

DR- enjoy the RD and the x-training.

Zelanie- good news about Zoe.

Jack- enjoy the tempo run.

HsM- Have fun at rehearsal.

Awood- I hope the second adjustment and massage help.

Scotty- Last week your weather sounded wonderful.  Now its just HOT.

Cherie- Enjoy the RD.

Robert- Enjoy your rest day too!

AFM-The weather here is improving rapidly!  I'm going to get something in sometime.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

GinnyinPA

Kristin - enjoy your conference and good luck at the race.  Will there be time to spend some time with your BF?  I also do fartleks on the TM to pass the time quickly.

Damaris - hope you get a bike ride in later.

Jimmy - have fun at the race this weekend.  It's always good to have a recent race to determine paces, so the timing is actually pretty good, even if it isn't on your plan.

Z - have fun at the track.  Your race is getting close, so the speedwork should help.

Jack - glad you have good weather for your tempo run.

Hopesmom - good luck with your budget request.  I think the rehearsal will be a lot more fun for you.

Awood - I hope your back gets better in time for the race this weekend.  Enjoy your massage.

Scotty - given the heat, this is a good day for a rest day.  It's too early to be that hot!

Cherie - enjoy the cool temps.  I'm glad you don't have to run in the wind today.

Robert - enjoy your rest day.

Stonefence - enjoy your run, whatever it may be.

AFM:  rainy morning but the sun is shining off and on now.  Our forecasters keep saying, "Remember, April showers . . . "  Our forecast is for a lot of off and on rain for the next two weeks.  Better than snow anyway.  Rest day here, which is good, since I still hurt from yesterday.