Beginners and Beyond

Mabsoot Monday Penguins! (Read 22 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Two races done on Saturday, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

UTSA Diploma Dash at 8 a.m.:  https://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/967062d3fa264ff5ab645fccb4e3ead0/resume#focus

Neon Sun 5K at 5 PM:  https://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/2bf45fde4c71495b81649d10dc8898a5

Rest day today...and it's cold again in San Antonio.  80s yesterday and this morning we are in the 20s, with a high going only to 42 today.  Stupid Texas weather!

My upcoming races for this month:

March 8:  Give Love 5K (San Antonio)

March 15:  Donovan's St. Patrick's Day 5K  (San Antonio)

March 16: iRun Texas Shamrock Shuffle 5K (San Antonio)

March 22:  Heal The Soul 5K Run/Walk & Pet Adoption (Joshua Springs Preserve Comfort TX)

March 29:  NE School Foundation Run/Walk 5K at SeaWorld San Antonio

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Dad on the run.

Mabsoot - Happy

And happy I am! I managed 31.8 miles last week for an all time weekly high for me! *insert dancing banana*

So yesterday was the first time I got to play with the livetrack offered by the new Garmin watches. I went out for 8 miles and send a livetrack invite to my wife and she was able to keep track of me while out running. She always worries when I go outside of our neighborhood and run on *busy* roads. The feature is pretty awesome and actually gives live feedback of pace, heart rate, elevation profile as well as alerts for each mile that I hit. Very cool indeed.

Tonight is EKs big sister tour of the hospital tonight, I think its going to be pretty cool. They take her around the hospital and show her where mommy will be staying, the nursery as well as a few other places. I'm so impressed with this hospital, I wish we would have came here with EK instead of having her where we did.

3 miles on tap for tonight after the hospital.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

PADRunner

Morning all! Boot camp tonight & maybe a mile or two.

And if its not stuck in your head yet, Happy!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - I need to get caught up on your RR's.  Glad you're still getting after it.

jblack - That live track feature sounds awesome.  Congrats on the miles.

AFM - I'm doing well.  Just a hair over 40 miles last week, and manageda personal

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

never mind...posting from a phone still sucks

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

From the Internet.

Morning pens! 4ish miles on the indoor track this morning with 5x ~70 meter strides toward the end. Garmin and footpod are telling me 4.15 but based on the time I think it's an overestimate, I tried to count laps to see how accurate or not the footpod is but failed miserably around 13 or so :P

This is the best I've felt during a Monday run in a while, I'm usually still feeling kind of stiff and sluggish after my Saturday long run, so I'm pretty happy. Planning for another couple weeks at 20 miles, probably a bit of a cutback week after that, and then will try to bump the mileage up to 23-24 if all is still going well.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good morning Penguins.

Been AWOL for a while and sick for the last week.  Feeling a lot better now and managed to get in 3.5 miles early this morning.  It's gonna be a great Monday.

Robert

Running for TJ because he can't.

Dad on the run.

Oh! another thing that happened over the weekend, I have a hole in the forefoot of my shoe where my big toe rubs... I'm not sure if I should be excited that I've ran enough miles in these shoes for a hole to be starting or upset that the quality of the upper isn't well made enough to withstand the rubbing of my big toe.

Awood - I think I'm going to send out a live track invite on FB when I do the rumpshaker 5k March 15th, you can see how it works then if you wanted Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

tracilynn

Hello penguins

scotty, how are your joints doing with the crazy temp

fluctuations?

jimmy, that live track sounds neat. Congrats on a PB week.

Lauren, so good to see you stringing along some good mileage weeks. I'm working on that too but only at 18 miles per week now. Stupid legs!

robert, sorry to hear you and your family have been so sick. Glad to hear you got a run in this morning.

awood, nice job on the 40m week.

its cold here.  40 or 50 degree drop since yesterday.  Tired of it!  Rest day today

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Morning! Is Mabsoot what we're having for lunch?

Walking for 3 miles with some 0.20 running intervals or biking.

I'm back at the office.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

My phone shows it's 30 degrees with a feels like temp of 16. Out the door I go here in a few, trying to let the coffee do it's magic. Today is supposed to be that ladder interval day, but with the wind howling, I might be lucky just to get in some miles. Back on night shift this week.

Jimmy, congrats on the weekly PB.

Scotty, that's a lot of racing!

Awood, nice week, I was just a little over a mile behind you at 38.8.

Lauren, you are doing great at controlling your build up, wish I was that disciplined.

Robert, nice to see you back posting, sorry to hear everyone was sick.

Traci, I'm not sure which state's weather is more crazy, Bama, or Arkansas.

Zelanie

Morning!  RD today as we are going out for my birthday dinner after work.  It's actually tomorrow, but DD has something until late tomorrow, so we will have dinner tonight and cake tomorrow.

Jimmy- I said it yesterday, too- why couldn't you have waited until your team wasn't facing my team to have the PB week? Just kidding, of course, I'm glad things are going well for you.

Scotty- I see you have a more "normal" race schedule for the rest of the month. 

PAD- Thanks for the dose of happy.

Awood- Glad you're doing well, sorry about the phone typing.

Lauren- I would be hopeless at counting laps too.  That's a shame that the footpod doesn't seem more accurate.

Robert- Glad you're feeling better!

Traci- Enjoy the RD!

D- Continuing to rock the rehab, way to go!

Dad on the run.

Zelanie - I didn't see your response yesterday. I have to say I really enjoy this miles game, I wasn't sure about it going into it but I'm hooked. On Wed I sit at my desk and refresh runners world every few minutes waiting for the post lol.

Also just read your RR, great run! I have the Rumpshaker coming up and also plan on setting a PR but I'm not sure my legs are ready for that kind of pace for 3 miles. To run a sub 25 I need a 7:59 m/m pace :/

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

GinnyinPA

Jimmy - congratulations on the new weekly mileage record.  I'm thinking I need to cut back on my mileage because I've increased too fast and my body is starting to say bad things to me.  Have fun at your hospital tour.

Scotty - a busy month, but at least no more two a days.

PADRunner - do you do boot camp in class or to a dvd?

Awood- good job on the 40 and your personal best whatever it was.

Lauren - I'd be terrible at counting laps.  I start out okay, then my mind wanders and I can't remember if I already counted this one or not.  Many years ago I started running doing walk-run intervals and would pick up a handful of pebbles and transfer them from hand to hand to keep the count.  Works well outdoors.  In a gym, not so much.

Hi Robert.  I'm glad you're feeling better and running again.

Tracilynn - enjoy your rest.  Stay warm.

D - have fun with your walk/run this evening.

Mitch - good luck with your windy run.

Z - happy almost birthday.  Have fun celebrating tonight.

AFM:  our big snowstorm was a complete bust.  There's just a dusting of snow on the ground, though it's cold (15) and supposed to stay cold for the next 3 days.  My legs are really hurting, so I'll probably take today off, or just do a yoga or pilates video.