Beginners and Beyond

Thirsty for the Weekend, but its Thursday Penguins (Read 23 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Just a shade short of 7 miles yesterday on the trails.  Felt great.

I see that I missed vanilla ice cream day yesterday... can we have a do-over?  Maybe even a chocolate ice cream day?!

tracilynn

Every day is ice cream for me.  I have picked up a bad habit of eating a big bowl of choc ice cream with a huge dollup of PB.  Right before bed!  Ooops.  It is actually low fat frozen yogurt so that's healthy, right?  Ha!  Hmmm.

Vance, nice trail run!

i got up at 5:30am and ran 3.4 miles.  Watched the sunrise and saved an earthworm Cool

~~~~~~~

Traci

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning earlybird Penguins! (little redundant, huh?)

I'm with you Vance, gonna have to do a make up ice cream day! Smile

Traci, nice job getting out there early, and even saving a worm. I love it when I can catch the sunrise, but I'm usually done before then. Sad

AFM, 4 miles done this morning, got out the door a lil later than usual and had to be at work early, so I cut it short, I might go out for some more miles this evening.  Crazy storm last night, woke us up at around 1am, it was right on top of us (thunder/lightning at about the same time).  I don't think I've ever seen so much lightning, like every couple of seconds, just one right after the other.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I did have ice cream last night, with the fudge at the bottom for proper distribution.  Heading to Milwaukee for Germanfest after work (yes I do work on Thursday sometimes).

Prosit !!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Haven't been checking in much or running much this week. I've been at a training for work that is very physically involved and has left me exhausted and sore. Maybe a few miles tonight.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Vance, loved ice cream too. I can see most penguins has a soft spot for them.

Traci, good job catching the sunrise. I guess frozen yogurt is ok.

Dave, glad the thunderstorm didn't caused any damages.

Jerry, germanfest should have lots of beer. Enjoy!

Kristin, sometimes life get in the way.

9M done. Dinner at mum's.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  12 miles done.  Working from home.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Does running in the morning versus running in the evening burn more calories? Or burn more fat? Or is that a myth?

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

thanks for reading my RR. Smile

jerry: your post made me laugh!

Traci: still waiting for that kayak picture Smile

got to run off to swim practice with younger dd!

Zelanie

Morning!  Got my 6 in yesterday in the heat of the evening.  I knew I would need a little something extra to keep me going on tired legs, so I brought music along for the first time for an outdoor run.  I channeled my inner Damaris when Daddy Yankee came on, and I realized that it was a "cool and not very humid run" by her standards.

Tomorrow we leave for vacation!  Today I work, then DH wants to get dressed up and go out later, since DD is at camp.  I think he is even going to wear a tie.  So with that plus getting ready to go, I'm not going to get a run in.  That's why I'm glad I got them in yesterday!

Sadly, I think we're out of ice cream since we're trying to clean the fridge and freezer out.  But where I'm going, we will be able to get these:

I'll probably be doing 8.5 miles a day- 6 running plus an evening walk, so I should be able to enjoy my ice cream at the end of the walk, I think!

Vance- Nice trail run!  Are your shoulders and neck feeling better?

Traci- That sounds like a great run!  And PB and yogurt are both healthy, of course! Wink

D2- Glad the storm had passed before your run.

Jerry- Have fun at Germanfest!

Bin- Hope you have a great dinner!

D- Nice job getting the miles in!

Jack- Back to the grind, it seems!

From the Internet.

Morning pens! We're heading to New Hampshire either Friday night or Saturday morning, so I've spent all week fretting about when to do my long run, which usually happens Saturday morning. The running gods gave me perfect weather, 64F/48 dewpoint and overcast, so I got it done today - 5.8 miles in exactly 1 hour, my very first hour-long run EVER! Stiff and creaky for the first couple miles but after that I settled in and it was lovely, and I made a concerted effort not to go too fast which paid off when I finished with gas left in the tank - I think I only had one mile that dipped below 10:00.

Vance: I vote yes!

Traci: Nice job on the miles and saving an earthworm Big grin So the more minimal shoes seem to be working well for you? IIRC I think running fasted means you start burning fat a little bit sooner? I tend to doubt it's really enough to make much of a difference to the average person.

Dave: Whoa crazy D: I'm not a fan of lightning.. I think my fear stems from my grandmother always insisting that the lightning could jump out of the TV if you had it on during a storm.

Kristin: Hope you have a chance to rest up.

Bin, D - Nice runs Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Today would've been a perfect morning to run, if I could run.  Temps in the 60's and low humidity!  Oh well, I drove for a while with my windows down, so at least I got some fresh air.  I would've considered a short walk, except my knees were grumping from quarteting last night, and I'm just not very masochistic.  Chorus tonight!  I think I'll wear my patella straps, that seems to help.  You know, it's possibly that this started as a running injury, and now it's a singing injury ...  Roll eyes

N-Bug -- every day should be ice cream day!!

traci -- clearly you and I think alike!!

D2 -- glad you weathered the storm!!

Jerry -- fudge on the bottom, I have to try that!!

kristin -- hope you get all rested up!!

Bin -- enjoy dinner at mum's!!

Docket -- woo-hoo for your 12 and homework!!

Jack -- good morning!!

Zelanie -- enjoy the dinner date and vacation!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

Zel - WHAT IS THAT?? I NEED ONE! Enjoy your vacation!

Mmmmm...beer

Does running in the morning versus running in the evening burn more calories? Or burn more fat? Or is that a myth?

I'm gonna say myth.  I don't think your body really cares when you exercise, or when you eat for that matter.  I think it's the cumulative effects over the long term that matter.  We tend to get wrapped up in our 24 hour day, but it's not like your internal calorie counter resets at midnight.

Lauren, when I was growing up it was always stay away from the phone during lightning storms.  Good thing we have cordless phones now. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!