Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins Wear Sunglasses! (Read 29 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

June 27th is National Sunglasses Day!

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  6-9 miles tonight.

Scotty even found a penguin wearing sunglasses, LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me but will be leaving early.  My ear started getting plugged up yesterday for I don't know what reason. I thought I might have had some water stuck in it, so after I got home I laid down while watching TV and hoped the stuff would come out.  Stuff came out all right, a bit of blood. So went to to doc and it seems I have a small cyst in there, which will be removed today via a minor outpatient procedure.   I had a cyst behind my other ear several years ago.  They gave me anesthesia and I didn't feel anything while they were taking it out...but I could HEAR the scraping going on back there....sounded kinda like a spoon being dragged on a cinderblock..yuk...kinda nerve-wracking, lol.

This Sunday is the 30th anniversary for me and Gail.  Not our wedding anniversary, but the 30th anniversary of the day we met:   June 29th, 1984.  And we've been together ever since.  The night we met she gave me her number.  I liked her so much from our meeting - I just KNEW as soon as I met her she was THE ONE - so  the heck with that no calling for  3-days  crap.  Where did that come from anyway?  I called her the next morning, lol, and we went out that day and the rest, as they say, is history.   Although it did take me a while to convince her to move in with me.   I met her June 29th and she waited all the way until July 3rd to move in with me! 

No race this weekend, but doing a fun 5K tomorrow as part of my running club's annual meeting.  We're doing a 5K, then having a bar-b-que luncheon at Two Bro's BBQ, a very good local eatery, and then doing the voting in of the new officers, and then presenting our club's annual scholarships - funds raised from our local races go for student scholarships and the scholarship committee selects 3 students to receive the checks at the annual meeting.   Should be an interesting 5K in our Texas weather since the run does not start until 11 a.m.   Thankfully, the post-run BBQ is OUTSIDE or we'd all be sweating all over the restaurant furniture.

on my way to badass

Good Morning Penguins! Thanks for starting us off Scotty. Congrats on the big anniversary. Good miles to you Damaris. AFM- I got 3.1 in this morning. I seem to have broken through the 12 m/m barrier. I start my HM training program this weekend. Off to take the bikes in for tune-ups and a new saddle for mine.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Philliefan33

Good morning!

Scotty -- you and Gail have such a romantic story.  Four days from meeting to shacking up?  I thought DH and I were quick -- we met at the end of March '88, and I moved in with him in May.  I always joke that it was because my lease was up and I needed a place to live; he replies that he had just bought his house and needed help fixing it up.  (Our second date was spent ripping the dog pee-stained carpet out of his house, followed by dinner of hot dogs and potato chips on the deck.  I guess he figured I wasn't "high maintenance" when I was ok with that.)

DR -- enjoy the miles later.

SF -- Hooray for breaking the 12 m/m barrier!  Little victories like that let you know that you are making progress.

AFM -- I'm working from the mountain house today. Later this afternoon DH and I will take a drive to early packet pick up for a 5K I'm running tomorrow.  It's on the rails-to-trails path that I run regularly here and supports the local nature education center, so I figured I might as well sign up.  There's no compelling reason to go get my race packet early,other than we have never been to the town where I can do early pick up.  It will be a nice diversion for DH.

I haven't decided whether I'll run today, or bike.  I'll do something later.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Scotty, DR, Stone and PF.

Congrats on 30th Scotty and Gail.

URD #2 for me.  Knees are still sore, so DW is running solo today.

Heading into the city for lunch with DD1 who is "WAH".

Have a great weekend !!!

PADRunner

Morning penguins!  Congrats Scotty.

3 mi done this morning.

Bin Running

Hi guys!

Scotty, congrats on 30 years. That's a long time. You two make such lovely couple.

Margo, your story is pretty romantic too. Kind of Tom hanks movie like.

Very sleepy today after watching worldcup yday. The movie before it "Non-stop" is pretty good too. Oh, running part: 2 very slow almost recovery kind miles done.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Jerry, take care of that knee.

Typing on phone so can't do personals for all.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I am so glad it's Friday!!  I had planned to take next week off just for the fun of it, but I have a customer who has a LOT of samples to run and they need to get done by the end of July.  I'm already taking off a week in mid-July to go out to Washington for DH's birthday, so I figured taking two weeks off with a rushed client was not a good idea.  So maybe I'll do it in August instead.  Woo-hoo!!

scotty -- nice shades!!  Congrats on your anniversary!!

Docket -- have a good 6-9 tonight!!

Stone -- woo-hoo for breaking the barrier!!

Phillie -- enjoy the mountain house and the race!!

Jerryb -- I HATE sore knees!!  They are the current bane of my existence.  Ice, ice baby!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 3!!

Bin -- wake up, sleepyhead!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Knowing I have cats, my daughter sent me a copy of this.  Made me laugh.

Docket_Rocket

Good Morning Scotty, DR, Stone and PF.

Congrats on 30th Scotty and Gail.

URD #2 for me.  Knees are still sore, so DW is running solo today.

Heading into the city for lunch with DD1 who is "WAH".

Have a great weekend !!!

I swear I read "Heading into custody...."  I need a vacation, LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Icing started.  Thanks for reminding me HsM.

4 for DW.  almost a minute faster pace than when she runs with me...Hmmmmm ??

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Scotty: congrats to you and Gail. My wife and I are on year 27, 22 of them married.

Hog: I just added you on Instagram. I'm papak38, I think. My kids set me up on that.

Brilliant: nice pic at Stonehenge. Have you seen "This is Spinal Tap?"

Like Bin I am on the phone and my thumb is done. I ran 5 miles with sunglasses.