Beginners and Beyond

Happy Thanksgiving Penguins! (Read 21 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still." -Kathleen Harris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  What a cute image to start us off with :-)

I'm going to try to drag myself out there for 8 today since there isn't much to do where my parents live.  Unfortunately this also means no pace bunnies to chase!  Also I can only run on certain roads in the area - others are 50 mph with no shoulder/sidewalks - so boring loops near to the house it is.

Tomorrow I'm running a 5 mile race with my new to running friend.  I figure running 8 today will sufficiently challenge me that keeping up with Jess tomorrow will be like racing :-)  I'm in no condition to be racing yet anyhow -- still working on the ankle PT exercises.  Jogging is fine but really hitting my stride and getting my stride rate up is still difficult.  I'm also still using the small ankle brace when I run, though that might be more psychological than anything.  I'm not generally in ankle pain any more and I consistently walk without the brace - but every so often I land a bit weird when I'm running and I am thankful that I have that little brace on.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Robert31320

Team TJ

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  I plan to get in a few later today. Using that plan to limit the eating.

Running for TJ because he can't.

tracilynn

Good morning Pad, sapf and Robert!

I'm about to jog a Turkey Trot.  All the REAL runners are out running and warming up and I'm sitting in my warm vehicle surfing.  My kidlets are doing the fun run and I look forward to that. They are real excited.

Happy Turkey Day

Im thankful for everyone on this board

~~~~~~~

Traci

From the Internet.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Smile Making muffins for breakfast, going to try to get in a few miles when they come out of the oven. Might be icy though, so it may end up being just one mile to continue the streak. Going to the in-laws' house after that.

These guys have come by to visit twice now! Big grin As the president of my house, I pardoned them.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Happy Thanksgiving!  We have a run tonight, 3-6.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

That was funny!  Happy Thanksgiving Pens! 

PADRunner

Morning! Got my 8 done and ready to ESU.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Thanksgiving.  3 quick chilly miles for us.  Food Marathon starts in 4 hours.  Have a great day.

Good luck racers.

Docket_Rocket

3 miles and heavy weights done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Crazy morning here.  I decided to do the Turkey Trot after all, but set the alarm wrong - p.m. not a.m. so we woke up with 15 minutes to get out the door. Grabbed coffee and a banana and raced out, then had to scrape 2 inches of snow/ice off the windshield.   We made it to Greencastle (15 miles south of us) barely in time to register, but the lines were long, especially for the bathroom.  Found a POP outside, then had only 5 minutes to warm up.  I was heading toward the starting line when the gun went off.  Not happiness.  Fortunately, it was chip timed, but I didn't have time to reset the Garmin (it still had the warm-up time going) and my head was just not working.  Nor were my legs and lungs.  There was a little snow/ice on the ground, but it wasn't too bad, just enough that you needed to be careful going around corners.  I pushed too hard and had to walk to get my breathing under control, but still, my overall was good.  I ended up with a minute and a half PR (last 5k was a year and a half ago) - time 25:36, 2nd of 11 in my age group and 161 out of 459 overall.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.  We're heading out as soon as DH gets out of the shower for a 2 1/2 hour drive to Thanksgiving with the family.  The insanity isn't over.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Happy Thanksgiving, Pens. Travel day for us as we make the drive home.

See ya.

obiebyke

Happy Thanksgiving, pens!

Ginny, that's fast!

Traci, how'd it go?

I ran a 5K Turkey Trot this morning in a feels like temp of -16F. Brrrr!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

on my way to badass

Happy Thanksgiving Penguins. On the way to grandma's house listening to "Alice's Restraunt".

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

tracilynn

Congrats Ginny! That's an awesome time. Speedy!

My Turkey trot was fun but it was so COLD. I crossed the Mat right at 33:58 and my chip time will be maybe 15 seconds better?  My PR is 31:23.  Lots of Turkey Hats, a pie hat, turkey tutus etc. Funnest part was running with my little ones who finished 2nd and 3rd. And got Ella's first floater pic posted on FB.

Ditto pad! Time to ESU

~~~~~~~

Traci