Beginners and Beyond

Step's Marquette Marathon RR (better late than never - pics added!) (Read 100 times)

StepbyStep-SH

Aug. 31, 2013 — Marquette Marathon, Marquette, MI

4:31:45 (16 of 21 in AG)

Lead-up: 2013 has not been my year for quality training. Lots of little things have kept me from being consistent - tendonitis in an ankle, tightness through a hip and back, periods of fatigue, and just general ennui about the whole thing. As a result, I had done no speedwork for months and few long runs this summer. I considered dropping to the half, but a successful-although-slow 20-miler convinced me to stick with the full in order to add Michigan as my 9th state, since we were already planning a family vacation around the race. My predictions for my time were anywhere from an “everything goes great beyond all expectations” 4:15 to a “sunny, humid, miserable” 5:00.

We drove to Marquette on Wednesday so that we could have a couple days of family time before the Saturday race. It is a beautiful town, and with a hotel located right on the lakefront near downtown, we didn’t even bother to get in the car the first day - instead walking to a couple of museums downtown, finding fun eating places, and hanging out in the hotel pool. The second day wasn’t much different, other than being a bit rainy, very windy and cool. I relieved DH of dad duties for the evening so he could visit a couple microbreweries, while DS and I ordered in pizza and called it an early evening.

Race day: The weather forecast was for some humidity, early cloud cover, then sun and highs reaching into the mid to upper 70s by my projected noon finish. But it was dark and cool when DH dropped me off at the shuttle bus that would take me to the start finish on Presque Isle, a beautiful park area jutting out into Lake Superior. As the sun came up (behind clouds), I stayed relaxed and enjoyed watching the light slowly reveal the waves crashing against the beach and rocks near the race start.

My plan was to go out slow and easy, and stay that way. Probably around 10:15-10:30ish pace, possibly with walk breaks every mile or two. I didn’t want any miles under 10 min/mile during the first loop of the two-loop course.

Go!

True to my plan, I lined up well to the back of the pack, near some Marathon Maniacs and “Marathon Man” - a guy from Australia hoping to run 100 marathons in a year, and running in full long-sleeves-tights-and-cape superhero costume. After about a mile, I started chatting with a couple of Maniacs, including a woman who was running with her 13-year-old son. He was running his 4th marathon and planning to qualify for the Maniacs himself with a double that weekend. I ran with them for the only mile of the race that was not on wonderful asphalt paved bike paths or streets. This mile was a rutted gravel road with mud puddles due to the rain the day before, but still not terrible footing.

After that mile, I pulled a bit ahead and then spent a few miles playing leap-frog and occasionally chatting with a man from Chicago who was using a run/walk strategy. Miles 3-5 were a very slight steady incline that kept my pace slow, but never felt like a struggle.

(Paces miles 1-5: 10:04, 10:25, 10:29, 10:35, 10:26)

Around Mile 5 we hit the high point of the course and turned to a steady downhill into the downtown toward the lake. This is where my plan to keep the pace slower than 10 min/mile went out the window. I decided to go ahead and speed up just a bit since it felt good and was easy running. When we got down to the lakeshore, the course did an out-and-back past our hotel, and DH and DS were out front waiting to see me come by. I snagged a high-five from DS both times and felt lucky to have my family along and supporting me. From that point, the trail ran within site of the lakeshore all the way back north to the entrance of Presque Isle, with little or no elevation change.

(Paces miles 6-10: 10:00, 9:51, 9:54, 9:54, 9:57)

Upon coming back into Presque Isle park, however, there is a short, steep climb, followed by another 1/3-mile or more of steady uphill before circling around and dropping somewhat steeply back to the start/finish line. By now I was feeling some fatigue in my hip flexors, and then trying to brake on the downhill didn’t agree well with my knees. Still, I felt good crossing the halfway mark in 2:13:53 - thinking I might even be able to squeeze in under 4:30.

(Miles 11-13: 10:40, 10:27, 10:18)

Then it was back out to do the same loop again. While the first loop featured plenty of company (the half started 30 minutes after us, so those speedsters started passing me around Mile 7), it was a little more lonely the second time around. I still had other marathoners or relay runners in sight most of the time, but was running on my own. After another quick mile (adrenaline from going by the finish?), I found myself slower on this loop, both on the uphill miles and the downhill and flat part. No problem areas, just the lack of endurance showing through. Luckily, it had remained overcast until I was nearing the 20-mile mark, and much of the course from there to the finish was nicely shaded by trees. I only took two walking breaks longer than just what was necessary for drinking water at the aid stations (which were never more than 1.5 miles apart), but knew that I wasn’t going to get under 4:30, which was no big deal.

Once I reached the top of the hill around Mile 25, I decided there was no reason to make my knees hurt trying to slow down and let the gravity pull me down the hill. Surprisingly, I caught and passed at least a half-dozen people in the last mile who I hadn’t even had in sight before then. I finished feeling strong and pleased with the race.

(Miles 14-26: 9:57, 10:31, 10:55, 10:44, 10:34, 10:34, 10:12, 10:54, 10:21, 10:42, 10:32, 10:52, 10:04, last .2 at 7:31)

While it was nowhere near a PR or my ultimate goal of a BQ someday, it was right in line with my current fitness level, and I finished feeling ready to resume the family vacation.

I took time to eat and to stand in Lake Superior for a bit of an ice bath, but then found DH and DS so I could shower and we could go about the last bit of sight-seeing we wanted to do before heading home: Miner’s Castle, Miner’s Beach and Miner’s Falls along the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

Other comments about this race: Buses and start line were well organized, the gender-specific tech shirts were nice, and food afterward was basic, but good. Medals were a bit odd: The marathon and half both got the same “medal,” which was actually a stamped wood medallion on a cord, though it appeared that the relay teams received traditional metal medals on ribbons. The route is very pretty, well-staffed by volunteers, and didn’t seem to drag on, despite being a double-loop. It isn’t an entertainment venue type of event, though - not a single band along the route. But you do get to hear the wind and waves of Lake Superior, which is more my style anyway.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Shari!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Nice report!  Glad that you got to have what sounds like a very nice family vacation, got to run, didn't bonk, and got to check off another state.  Great weekend!  Proof that every race doesn't have to be a PR effort, and can still be a resounding success.  Nice work Step, and best of luck in the next adventure!

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

You Rang?

Thanks for the great race report!  Like you, the further away from home, the more conservatively I tend to race.  I don't want to ruin a family vacation that has a race in it by racing, and injuring myself, and then spending the rest of the race with an ice pack strapped to a body part.  I'd be curious to see the finisher's medal.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

. By now I was feeling some fatigue in my hip flexors, 

Far and away my BIGGEST fear if I were to try a full!!!

Randy

Pinktastic

Way to go, Shari!!  I know training didn't go as you would have liked, but it sounds like you had a great marathon anyway!!  Huge Congrats!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

hog4life

Nice report, thanks for sharing! That was cool about the super hero guy.

Will run for scenery.

Sounds like a great event and a fun vacation.  In my book, running at your fitness level is the way to go.

Any pics ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

StepbyStep-SH

I will attempt to add photos - patience please if this doesn't work!

Lake Superior on a cool windy day - this was taken at a point on Presque Isle, which we ran through during the race:

Post-race -

The finisher's medal:

Lake Superior on a beautiful day - a view of the Miner's Castle rock formation:

One of the many waterfalls in the Upper Peninsula, we visited this one the afternoon after my race, along with Miner's Castle and a nearby beach:

StepbyStep-SH

Woohoo! I managed to post photos - only took three tries. Smile

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I'm definitely seeing pics now.  Looks beautiful!

Miner's castle looks like something you'd see down in the baja peninsula in Mexico!

Randy

happylily

The three tries were definitely worth it! It looks like such a pretty place to run and vacation.  Little Kevin looks so much older now. :-) He really is a mix of you and of your SO. Beautiful family picture! Smile

Shari, you are quite the athlete, my dear friend To be able to pull off a 4:31 time after training with no speedwork, through several nagging injuries, and with less motivation than usual, it is quite something... I could not do it myself, the distance alone would kill me. So huge congratulations to you for being able to run the whole thing with some amazingly even splits. You are in great running shape!

You and I should one day fly to Oregon to run with Waterskimmer! I'd love to run with the two of you. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

StepbyStep-SH

The three tries were definitely worth it! It looks like such a pretty place to run and vacation.  Little Kevin looks so much older now. :-) He really is a mix of you and of your SO. Beautiful family picture! Smile

Shari, you are quite the athlete, my dear friend To be able to pull off a 4:31 time after training with no speedwork, through several nagging injuries, and with less motivation than usual, it is quite something... I could not do it myself, the distance alone would kill me. So huge congratulations to you for being able to run the whole thing with some amazingly even splits. You are in great running shape!

You and I should one day fly to Oregon to run with Waterskimmer! I'd love to run with the two of you. Smile

Yes! I would love that! I haven't seen Tee around much - hope she is doing well. Or I'll have to come across the border and meet you and Lori (BerthaSlayer/autorunner) somewhere in your beautiful country. Smile

Zelanie

Sounds like you adjusted really well for this race, and I'm glad you had a good time!

happylily

Yes! I would love that! I haven't seen Tee around much - hope she is doing well. Or I'll have to come across the border and meet you and Lori (BerthaSlayer/autorunner) somewhere in your beautiful country. Smile

We really should pick a place and a date. The location matters little to me, it's the company that counts! Smile Oh and my house is open to you and Lori (and T.) if Montreal in September 2014 is of any interest to you, ladies!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010