Beginners and Beyond

Having a mental breakdown from injuries (Read 126 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

So, I don't have a stress fracture anymore (or a new one).

Instead, I have SI joint inflammation.  It's not severe, but the general protocol is not to run for 2 weeks to a month.  I CANNOT DO THIS.  I CAN'T.  It's just one thing after another after another and I can't do it.  Please help talk me down, I've been crying more or less constantly for the past week.  It's too many injuries in a row and I can't motivate myself to crosstrain anymore when I don't even feel like it'll help me get back to running.  I have been so so so happy being able to run and now two weeks feels like two months.

I don't know why I was able to be so rational and keep up the crosstraining for months this year, first for plantar fasciitis and then for my stress fracture, but I hit a breaking point, because I physically can run without pain and I just miss it so much and so depend on it for mental health and depression alleviation.  I know I'm really disruptive on this forum and a little bit overwrought right now, but seriously, I do not know what to do.

I am sitting here (day off work) and FIGHTING with myself not to go running, trying to convince myself to get on the elliptical. For various reasons (one of them being that I associate it with obsessive anorexics, and I used to be one) I have trouble with the idea of that.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Pinktastic

Scap, I don't know what to say, but I am sorry that you're going through this.   :-(    I've had a boat load of injuries this year as well - torn peroneal tendon, broken bone in the other foot, a-fib issues, another broken foot bone so I can definitely empathize with you about how overwhelming another injury can feel.    Hang in there though!   Maybe take a day or two off and just rest completely.   Maybe cross-training won't seem so bad after that.   You've made it back from worse and I have no doubt that you'll overcome this as well!

You might check with Marjorie and / or Rick regarding that particular injury and what worked best for them.

Hugs to you, Scap!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am sorry to hear this.  Can you get a second opinion?  Marjorie might be able to let you know but I am not sure if not running is the right prognosis for it.  Will you go to PT?  Good luck!  And hugs.

Damaris

Love the Half

+1 on the second opinion.  I know you said you can run without pain.  So, what would happen if you kept running?  Currently, I am dealing with what I think is piriformis syndrome.  It is difficult for me to describe how much this hurts.  However, I know that I'm not really doing any permanent damage to myself by running; it's just a question of how much pain I can tolerate.  (I actually have an appointment on December 19 at the OSU Sports Medicine Center with a doctor who runs marathons so we shall see what my options may be).

My only point is that there are all kinds of things you can keep running with if you want.  Bear in mind, I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV so this may be one of those things or it may not.  But, every damn tweak we get, the standard response is, "don't run for a while."  If I only ran when nothing hurt, I'd never run.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

onemile

Injuries are rough.  Hang in there.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Pink, I only ran 3 times in the past week and I did take 2 days off (and one day swimming).  The pain isn't worse or better and it is still very mild, but I also have to bear in mind that I don't really feel pain normally, and tend to ignore it.  It's more the sensation that something IS there/feels off that is bothering me.

Love the Half, I'm hardly one to stop running at 'every tweak.'  But given that I ran through, in the past two years:

1) piriformis syndrome

2) a perforated ulcer that I got partly from medicating piriformis syndrome with aspirin and then required major surgery

3) a C. diff infection that I got in the hospital recovering from that surgery

4) plantar fasciitis

5) a stress fractured femur from coming back too fast after time off for plantar fasciitis

6) SI joint inflammation now...

You can see why I'd be cautious given my history of not listening to doctors and getting seriously punished for it.

I mean, I know some of this comes from excessive speedwork in the past, but nowadays I'm not pushing the speed at all.  My runs have been so slow that I can talk without pausing for breath, just ask my running partner.

I also have never been a high-mileage runner.  Some people have said that my not running enough is to blame for my injuries, but that makes little sense to me.

I would like a second opinion, though; that isn't a bad idea.  I'll look into it.  I'm also finding a new coach who doesn't have half his team injured at any given point.

LRB

+1 on the second opinion. 

Having just gone through it, SI joint dysfunction often goes misdiagnosed for months and in some cases, years.  If one is fortunate enough to get diagnosed they should consider themselves lucky!

Scap, I have mentioned this before, but the key to this type of injury once healed is to stretch as religiously as you run or strength train.  The tighter the hamstrings are, the more likely they are to pull the joint or your hips out of whack.

One could even make a case that as runners, we should limit the amount of strength work we do for the hamstrings.  That is because they are directly affected by the volume of running we do.  So the more you run, the shorter the hamstring muscle gets.  We should be stretching it, not strengthening it.

I had a major case of SI joint dysfunction, and was only benched for five weeks.  I say "only" because at its worst, I could not walk without limping.

Under no circumstances should you run, in my limited knowledge of the ailment, there are three stages.  The first is to reduce the inflammation, which could take a week or more depending on the severity.  The second is to regain freedom throughout the range of motion of the joint, this may require some type of realignment.  I actually did the adjustment myself.  The third and final stage is strengthening of the joint.  Do something stupid during any point of those stages and you may end right back at square one.

As far as mentally dealing with injuries, we all handle them differently.  When I cannot run, I try not to let it affect me negatively.  I usually use that time to learn more about the science of our sport, or devise some type of training plan or goal for when I return.  That is also known as turning lemons into lemonade, I understand however that not everyone is like that.  Some people are not able to read or think about anything running related, others are buried so deep in depression, that there is nothing anyone can say or do to help them.

There is no right or wrong way to deal with injuries, only your way.  I have had three major running injuries and three minor ones, so my list is at 6 just like yours.  It is what it is...at least that is how I approach it.  I have no words other than to say it sucks, but the one thing I would advise against in your case is to go gun-ho into strength training.  Instead, go gun-ho into stretching!  After you are cleared to do so that is.

Zelanie

Ugh, so sorry that you're facing injury again!  I feel for you!

Love the Half

BTW, when I'm hurt so much I can't run, I'm a true piss ant.  Normally, I'm just a curmudgeonly old fart.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Yugo18

I am so sorry you are dealing with this.  I am new here and so I am going to keep this in line with that.

I've read both your posts below, and please don't take this the wrong way, because this is what keeps jumping out at me after reading your posts.  Although I know it could happen, it seems to me that having so many injuries during a relatively short period of time could easily signify that there is a different, fundamental problem underlying all of these issues.  I see you mention a history with anorexia and obsessive exercising.  (I completely hear you on the association of the elliptical machine with obsessive exercising.)  My question is - how long have you been in recovery or objectively eating a varied and nutritious diet?  Even if things may seem healthy outwardly (as in, exercise performance is good), I think the body takes its time getting better from the invisible abuses during periods of not eating enough.  I think it takes years sometimes.  With time and patience, however, the body, a champion of the survival instinct and resilience, will get itself righted again and equilibrium will be restored.  I am so sorry to say this because it feels so very intrusive (I am so new here!), but I think that eating well over 2,000 calories a day is necessary in this process of healing.  The immune system, the bones and connective tissue, the muscles - they need t and they need time.  Once again, please don't be offended by my thoughts here.  They are just that - my own thoughts after reading a very limited set of problems - and they could very easily be completely unrelated to what you're going through.  I could be interpreting everything a little too much though my own experiences.  So, if I am completely off base, I am sorry.  No matter how insidious your repeated injuries may be, however, you will figure out away to deal with them and stave them off pretty permanently.  It may take time, but you will figure this out.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Well, first of all, I think the SI joint thing is really mild.  I don't have any restriction in range of motion and I walk and run without pain. I feel only mild twinges while lying in bed at night.  SO I think I am not yet at the point of it being a severe problem.

I guess I can only hope this will clear up after another week or so?  It really is VERY mild.  I don't notice it's there except for at night or after long periods of sitting.  No change in movement pattern at all.  But LRB, thank you for that long description of your experience; it was a good comparison for me to make, and I truly do think my case was caught early and not serious and I really did cut way back on running as soon as I felt ANYthing.

@Yugo re: history of anorexia, I have not actually been clinically underweight for almost 2 years (and when I was it was only when I had surgery and couldn't eat for a week).  Prior to that my worst bout was in my teens, which is about 10 years ago now.  I already eat over 2,000 calories much of the time (it varies day by day and I don't count with perfect accuracy, but usually I am right at 2k) and am at a normal weight and body fat level.  I'm under the supervision of a qualified sports RD who has me eating high carbs and relatively high fat (for hormone health) and a wide variety of food, including frequent ice cream and chocolate along with many kinds of vegetables, fruit, dairy, meats, and starches.  I eat really well and I eat when I am hungry/stop when full.  I admit that this balance is quite new to me, though.  It's really just since this summer that I have stopped restricting--so I'm certain that my eating habits and low body fat contributed, in the PAST, to injury.  So that's an excellent point.

I should also mention, though, that I have normal bone density.  I still supplement with calcium and vitamin D every day, along with an iron pill (not at the same time, as it would inhibit absorption).

I am taking care of my health... it's my mental health I'm more worried about.

But one day at a time.  Thanks for the support and I'm sorry to be the resident drama queen.  I know many people here are ALSO dealing with injury!  And it sucks for everyone.  I managed to crosstrain today, I feel no pain, and with luck this will pass.

Yugo18

Well, first of all, I think the SI joint thing is really mild.  I don't have any restriction in range of motion and I walk and run without pain. I feel only mild twinges while lying in bed at night.  SO I think I am not yet at the point of it being a severe problem.

I guess I can only hope this will clear up after another week or so?  It really is VERY mild.  I don't notice it's there except for at night or after long periods of sitting.  No change in movement pattern at all.  But LRB, thank you for that long description of your experience; it was a good comparison for me to make, and I truly do think my case was caught early and not serious and I really did cut way back on running as soon as I felt ANYthing.

@Yugo re: history of anorexia, I have not actually been clinically underweight for almost 2 years (and when I was it was only when I had surgery and couldn't eat for a week).  Prior to that my worst bout was in my teens, which is about 10 years ago now.  I already eat over 2,000 calories much of the time (it varies day by day and I don't count with perfect accuracy, but usually I am right at 2k) and am at a normal weight and body fat level.  I'm under the supervision of a qualified sports RD who has me eating high carbs and relatively high fat (for hormone health) and a wide variety of food, including frequent ice cream and chocolate along with many kinds of vegetables, fruit, dairy, meats, and starches.  I eat really well and I eat when I am hungry/stop when full.  I admit that this balance is quite new to me, though.  It's really just since this summer that I have stopped restricting--so I'm certain that my eating habits and low body fat contributed, in the PAST, to injury.  So that's an excellent point.

Excellent.  See, what do I know?!

You mentioned swimming.  I think that's a great and wholesome (mentally and physically, I mean) cross-training activity.  For having trouble mentally dealing with being unable to run as much as you want, may I suggest meditation?  Big grin

GinnyinPA

Two weeks will go by so much quicker than you think.  It's just a blip in your running, not a real obstacle.

I do understand how hard it is to face yet another injury, when running is so important to both your emotional and physical well being.  I had a pelvic stress fracture that took 8 months to heal and 9 months later I developed what was probably osteitis pubis, which has a 3 to 6 month healing time.  I really thought it was time to give up on running.  But I couldn't, and now I'm starting over again.  I did learn a lot about coming back from injury after my two long term issues:  most importantly, not to push too hard too soon.  In both cases, I thought I was ready to return to running before I actually was, and it ended up setting me back considerably.  Rest means rest, period.  Patience isn't my forte, and it sounds like it isn't yours either, but sometimes it's the only thing that will help.

Antipodean

Scap, that sucks and I just hope you can get to the bottom of the problem quickly and get back to running. When I've been injured in the past, I just naturally seem to lose interest in it all and then once recovered it can be really hard to get motivated to get back into running. You're actually lucky you're not like that. Joking

On a side note, LTH, my on-going nagging-but-getting-worse piriformis issues disappeared miraculously overnight when I went from traditional running shoes (12 mm drop) to Kinvara's (4 mm drop). A coincidence? No idea, it's a mystery what exactly happened, but I'm glad I have that shit behind me because it hurts like hell! Good luck shifting yours!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

#artbydmcbride

epidural injection of prednisone in the SI joint area.

Runners run