Beginners and Beyond

Fanfaronade Friday Penguins! (Read 26 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Fanfaronade:  grandiose trumpet blast

Cuz it's Friday!   Hope everyone has some grandiose plans for the weekend!  Today is a non-running day for me, and packet pickup for my 5K tomorrow - my 50th race of 2013.    After the 5K, will be going to the San Antonio Alamodome to watch my UTSA Roadrunners football team play the Oklahoma State Cowboys.   We will probably get creamed by that talented team, but as we're just starting out our program - only our 3rd year in Division I football - hopefully our guys will learn a lot from the experience.

Holidays for Sep 6:

Fight Procrastination Day - I think I'll hold off on this one a while...

Read A Book Day -  One that does not have all pictures, hopefully.  Wink

National Lazy Mom's Day -  Moms, you work hard all year round taking care of  your job, your family, etc.  Today is your day to just kick back and goof off.  Do something for yourself today!

Food Holiday:  National Coffee Ice Cream Day  (Tight lips) - For you coffee lovers, a different way to get your coffee ingestion today!

ice-cream cartoons, ice-cream cartoon, ice-cream picture, ice-cream pictures, ice-cream image, ice-cream images, ice-cream illustration, ice-cream illustrations

ice-cream cartoons, ice-cream cartoon, ice-cream picture, ice-cream pictures, ice-cream image, ice-cream images, ice-cream illustration, ice-cream illustrations

libraries cartoons, libraries cartoon, libraries picture, libraries pictures, libraries image, libraries images, libraries illustration, libraries illustrations

PADRunner

Morning Scotty

4 this morning with hills. Lot's of hills. Oh and there were hills. Did I mention there were hills?

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  8 miles tonight.  I have one kitty in the hospital for a blocked bladder and I think I am getting a cold.  This week sucks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Morning Scotty

4 this morning with hills. Lot's of hills. Oh and there were hills. Did I mention there were hills?

I think I might have missed that. Where they hills?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning Scotty!

So according to your holiday calendar, I should be a lazy mom and just read a book and eat ice cream today?  Sounds like a good plan.  In fact in sounds like what I do on the weekends Cool.

SRD for me today, 11-12 mile LR tomorrow.  Sunday I'll be up early to cook breakfast at the firehouse.  I am the head "egg cracker".  Last month I cracked 30 dozen eggs (for scrambled eggs and french toast) to serve 280 diners.  Since I have a few breakfasts under my belt, I'm moving up on the depth chart a little -- I am now trusted to mix the pancake batter and warm up the SOS.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Where are all the other Penguins today?

Apologies to the Beatles....

Get back, get back.
                Get back...Penguins... to where you once belonged
                Get back, get back.
                Get back to where you once belonged.
                Get back Penguins, go home
                Get back, get back.
                Get back to where you once belonged
                Get back, get back.
                Back to where you once belonged.

Big grin

Congrats on the hill run, PAD.  My 5K tomorrow is at a place called Alamo Heights...and they aren't kidding.  Hills all over the course!

Awww, poor Kitty, hope the Kitty feels better soon.  One of my cats had that, Damaris, about 3 years ago.  Vet fixed her right up and she has been her normal self ever since.  In other words, crazy, she always was a looney toon kinda cat, lol.   Sorry about the oncoming cold, hope your  8 miles goes well today and is not affected by that.

Sounds like a plan, Margo!  Good luck with your long run.  Gee,  do firemen really like getting their eggs cracked? Sounds painful..... Wink   Good luck with the breakfast tomorrow!  Congrats on being 'promoted' to Pancake Batter.  Sounds like a lot of work!  Don't flip out!

Philliefan33

PAD and DR -- you snuck in.  Good morning!

PADRunner -- don't forget to run some hills in your training Joking

I hate hills when I am running them.  But they make the flat parts seem easy.

PADRunner

I think I might have missed that. Where they hills?

No, not hills they were mountains! Big grin

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone!

Was planning on running yesterday but ended up going to my sister's volleyball game. Apparently the coach needs someone to fill in for her next thursday so she is going to go over the rotation and rules with me before then. I know very little about coaching but she says the games are pretty easy, you just have to make sure the girls are rotating correctly.

I am 100% without a doubt running tonight! Also its leg and back day at the gym.

COFFEE ICECREAM!!! Publix cappucino fudge blitz is probably the best coffee type ice cream EVER! Now I want some Sad

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  Yesterday a huge thunderstorm hit right as the kids were due to get out of school.  It was pouring rain.  I mean soaked through within 10 seconds of being outside pouring.  So I got drenched just helping get the kids from the school in to their cars, and then I had to go sit in a meeting for two hours. I wish I had brought a jacket!

By the time I got home, I wanted to warm up a bit before running, so I ended up running my 5 on the TM lateish.

RD for me today.  We are going to try to take all 3 dogs (Zoe, Mia, and Molly, who we're dogsitting) on a walk today, and DH wanted me to come so that we're only outnumbered by 1 dog.  I also got my 1:00 plank done.

Scotty- You've been getting lots of hills in your races recently!  Guess that means you can take it easier during the week?

PAD- So, let me get this straight.  There were hills?

D- Poor Hershey!  Hope he is feeling better soon!

Margo- Enjoy the LR tomorrow and the breakfast!  Sounds like fun!

Jimmy- Get out there and run, will you? Wink

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins all!!  Hoping for a stab at W1D3 of c25k tonight, though my knees are protesting the standing through quartet and chorus.  We'll see, though -- if they don't hurt any more than they do now, I think I'll run anyway, and consider it active recovery.  It's not like I'm burning through the miles, and I want to try to work on my form a little.  No huge plans for the weekend -- tomorrow will be laundry day plus a couple of little crafty things I want to work on, and then Sunday is church, then quartet coaching with my chorus director.  Fun times!!  Today will be busy though -- lots of meetings and samples, plus I really need to jump on my tech's evaluation, since it's due on Monday!

Scotty -- have fun with the races and the game!!  UVA is playing Oregon, so I expect us to get creamed also.

PAD -- woo-hoo for conqering those hills!!

Docket -- you definitely need a new week!  Hope the kitty is ok ...

Phillie -- enjoy the egg cracking and batter!!

jblack -- the volleyball sounds like fun!!

zelanie -- have fun dog wrangling!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Sloooow.

Morning Scotty! Yay for Friday Smile Enjoy your rest day, and have fun tomorrow!

Your run was a little hilly this morning, PAD? Lol. Nice work on the 4.

Docket, sorry to hear about your cold and poorly kitty. Hopefully she feels better soon, and you! How many cats do you have?

Philliefan, enjoy your rest day. Very cool that you make breakfast for the firehouse! As head egg cracker, do you ever find double yolk eggs? I've had three this week, but they are from our chickens.

Jimmy, hope you get your run in tonight!

Zelanie, that sounds like a miserable experience, I hate rain like that. Enjoy your rest day today.

HopesMom, good luck with the C25K. You have a great attitude with your running Smile

My aim is 2-3 miles today.  I stood on a nail yesterday, and today it feel like I have a golfball under my foot when I step down. Soaking my foot in Epsom salts, and I'm planning on running later. I only have 5 more miles to run this week to hit my goal.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, guys. Coralie, I have 5.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

4 miles and it was 59 DEGREES!!!!! Amazing!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to