Beginners and Beyond

10k as a marathon tune up... (Read 62 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi. I have my debut marathon on 8 Dec in Tucson, AZ.  This Sunday I am running a 10k as a tune up. This is the first time that I will be running a distance without specifically training for it. My 10k best is 42:17 and my GMP is around 8:00 or so. I picked up my bib today and drove the course. It has two significant hills and most of the course seems to be gradual hills, either up or down. There does not seem to be very much flat to it.  So, that being said, how would you race it? My marathon training has be going great, but I do have somewhat tired legs now. My first thought is to race it like I race all 10ks, all out and try to PR. However, the OCD in me starts acting up and I get worried that I might get injured if I go too hard so I start thinking I should just race "comfortably hard." I know the marathon is far enough away to allow me to fully recover from a hard race, but I still worry about getting injured if I go "all out." I do NOT want to DNS for my first marathon. I know I am a bit OCD and probably over thinking it, but I do want to be smart. Sorry for all the words.  What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Welp, I'm gonna say to go for it.  If you're already running a 1:35 half, then a 10k ain't nuttin' honey!!

I'd say go for a 42:16 where you can keep your way of "thinking" in a realm that you know you can run....(IOW, you won't try to run outside yourself for this goal).....and try to focus on keeping the 1st loop just slightly slower than the 2nd.  (Go 21:30 for the first loop).

In fact, if it eases your mind at all......use that as a gage.  If you run over 22:00 for the first loop, forget it.  If you run under 22:00 for the first loop, then go for it!!  Leave it up to the numbers & know that if you ain't feelin it, you can just slow it down on the 2nd loop & cruise home, focusing on form, breathing, etc.

But, definitely run under 45:00 for me cuz I'm PISSED I'm not running it!

Randy

B-Plus

Unless you feel like you're already on the brink of injury, then I would go for it. It will only take you a few days to recover, and you may find that you PR in this race even off of your marathon training. What a great confidence boost that would be.

delicate flower

Unless you feel like you're already on the brink of injury, then I would go for it.

Agreed.  Give it hell, Klompus.

<3

happylily

What the guys said. Take it easy today is your legs are not feeling fresh. Remember that it is somewhat normal during marathon training to feel this way. It doesn't mean that injury is lurking, don't worry. Good luck tomorrow!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

No advice either way but if you do choose to race it all out, then be smart enough to a) take Monday off, b) skip any planned quality work next week in favor of just easy runs and c) cut back your mileage to about 75% of what you would have run.  I ran an all out 10K once and tried to jump back into training too quickly and ended up sidelined with Achilles pain for a couple of weeks.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

TakeAHike

I say go for it Jack.  You are not well rested and it is a hilly course, so you may not PR, but don't worry about your time.  Just give it a solid effort. Who knows, you might surprise yourself.  Pfitz doesn't provide a lot if time for recovery.  See how you feel after the race and adjust accordingly if you need to.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hey, thanks you guys. Just reading your posts gives  me a boost of confidence.  I have no niggling injuries or aches or pains so, like Baboon said, I guess I will "give it hell."  Smile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hey, thanks you guys. Just reading your posts gives  me a boost of confidence.  I have no niggling injuries or aches or pains so, like Baboon said, I guess I will "give it hell."  Smile

+1

You've got the fitness and training needed to race it, and it doesn't really make any sense to not go all out if you intend to use the results to help set a goal time and pace for the marathon.  That's usually the primary reason for a tune-up race. With tired legs and a couple of hills on the course, I'd suggest a good warm-up, but a cautious start.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

I think the term all out is a bit misleading in that you are still pacing yourself to cover the distance, so it's not like you are trying to run 1 mile pace for 6 miles.

As George opined, you have the mileage to support a PR effort, just ease into it rather than jumping into goal pace right off the bat.  If it were me and conditions were ripe, I would look to run no slower than your current PR pace of 6:49 (except for the first mile which is usually my slowest so maybe a 6:55 there), with an eye on perhaps getting into the 6:30's as the race progresses and/or the course allows targeting a 41:30 - 40:30 finish time.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

LRB: there is a hill right at the start so that is exactly what I was thinking. "All out" was just a term I threw out. I like the way you think.

LRB

LRB: there is a hill right at the start so that is exactly what I was thinking. "All out" was just a term I threw out. I like the way you think.

Got it.

I did not race before my first marathon for a similar reason and looking back, that was probably a mistake.  I understand the thinking there though and would not discourage it if it puts one at ease.

I have become quite fond of the 10k and its benefits, and have figured out how to pace it to get the most out of myself on a given day.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Bag it and find a half next weekend to set goal marathon pace from.

You people have issues