Beginners and Beyond

So to spin off of the other thread, how private are the logs here? (Read 518 times)

Nevrgivup

I haven't used the logs here because I'm still doing the pad and pencil thing. How can one be totally sure that their log is private? I'm not paranoid, just inquiring if I choose to use it.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good question. I just checked my settings and nothing should be seen but then again I don't have anything here. I'm a pen and pad guy myself. I joined here over a year ago just for the mapping of routes feature.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Runshortii

If you go to preferences there is a setting to keep it completely private. If you're looking at your post on a forum you can see your log but no one else can. I remember Heidi had us a check awhile ago and it was private. I do like the logs here. I like the graph layout and its easy to keep track of shoe mileage
        xor

If the question is "how do I ensure that my running log is REALLY private when I've set it to be private?", then you should probably ask The Man.

I actually don't know diddly about that piece of the log.  I'm pretty sure you can also set routes to private (keeping other aspects public), but I've seen several discussions about that, and I still don't know much about it.

MrNamtor

never mind. I was wrong about the bug to the security.

Love the Half

I still don't get the pathological fear some seem to have about others viewing their training log unless it maps out specific routes you run at specific times of the day.  Otherwise, we routinely share how much we run, how a run went, etc.  

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

YAYpril - B-Plus

I still don't get the pathological fear some seem to have about others viewing their training log unless it maps out specific routes you run at specific times of the day.  Otherwise, we routinely share how much we run, how a run went, etc.  

Most of my runs are right out my front door. I'm a little paranoid about people knowing exactly where I live. Smile

ETA: That's only in reference to route publicity. I use DailyMile which is about as public as it can get. I'm not paranoid about people knowing the details of my run; I just don't want them to know exactly WHERE I run.

Village people

i'd be more worried about DM. Anyone can view your posts and maps, not just friends. I think.

YAYpril - B-Plus

i'd be more worried about DM. Anyone can view your posts and maps, not just friends. I think.

You're absolutely right. I don't put routes on DM. You can set routes to friend-only, but I only really "know" (in person) a handful of my boatload of friends.
                    cmb4314

That is one reason that I don't post any routes on here, so I can leave the log public (at least I think mine is public, I haven't really checked I guess).  

I don't care if people see my paces/laps/HR/etc, or even if they see me whining in the comments that I had to take too many potty breaks.  I'd just rather they not know where my house is, which is pretty obvious when you look at my routes.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I don't use this training log, but I know that Strava has an option to hide any part of a route within a certain distance of an address.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Docket_Rocket

If you enter your run manually, there will be no routes to stalk you at.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

#artbydmcbride

I know all of my routes, so there really isn't any reason to show my routes in my log anyway.  Anyone else who wants to see what my lazy ass is doing is welcome to.  Cool

Runners run

Nevrgivup

Yeah, I've been doing the pad and paper thing for years. Why change now? I still don't have a Garmin. Once I do , I may do something on a spreadsheet. We'll see.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

xor

Yeah, I've been doing the pad and paper thing for years. Why change now? I still don't have a Garmin. Once I do , I may do something on a spreadsheet. We'll see.

I used to say that.  Said it for years.  Then one day, I started using the log here.  And... it isn't even close.  I don't have to remember where I put my notebook.  If I want to remember something about my running while I'm not next to the notebook (traveling or working a gig), I can just look.  I don't have to do math.  Yes, adding up numbers to get my weekly mileage wasn't a big deal in a notebook.  And I kept track of shoes too.  But then when I wanted to look at my mileage monthly and annually... ah, more flipping around and rework.  With an online log, it is a couple clicks.  And graphs?  They sounded silly to me for years.  Now that I have them, I can't imagine not having them.

And btw, I don't even load my garmin data into RA.  I enter my runs manually... same basic effort as writing it on a piece of paper, but still soooo much better.  And accessible.  At all times.

And before someone says "yeah, but there was that time that coolrunning deleted everyone's data...", yes, back up your stuff.  The same can be said for your cherished notebooks.  It doesn't take much for that to go missing.  ("ha ha", he said, "you didn't like my joke?")