Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday's New Sheriff In Town Penguins (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

There's a new Penguin Sheriff in town.....

photo penguinsheriff_zps6c4c4842.png

....and he says....WAKE THE HELL UP AND START POSTING!  Nobody sleeps till noon in Penguin Town, pardner.. 

Weight training circuit after work yesterday.  3.1 miles this morning around the university campus.  Humid as all get-out in San Antonio this morning...78 degrees already, 92% humidity, dewpoint of 72, gaaaack.   Around Mile 2, I noticed the sprinklers were on to water the football practice field, so I did a nice dash down the field and through the sprinklers...very refreshing!

Last Sunday morning I did the 5K at the link below.  Very tragic circumstances for how this race was begun...the little girl it's named for, her mom, and her aunt (I think it was her aunt) got hit by a drunk driver....while they were standing in their own front yard, jeez!  Damn drunk drivers!    Well, they took that tragedy and turned it into something positive to help out others...good for them!

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/4c7d3e9d87b94330907f4237384aea23/resume#focus

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

on my way to badass

I love the sheriff Scotty. Good morning Penguins! I would start the thread but my phone is not smart and I am lucky that I can post to threads sometimes. 3.5 done with some strides. I think strides are the thing that was missing from my HM training plan.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

PADRunner

Morning penguins. Group workout tonight.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I didn't sleep well last night, so I bailed on this morning's walk in favor of sleeping in.  Of course then I slept through my alarm and woke up 20 minutes late, so I had to scramble to get to work not stupid late.  Quartet rehearsal is tonight, since one of our singers is traveling tomorrow.  Woo-hoo!!

Scotty -- Woo-hoo for getting your run done, but that's a sad story about the family.  Glad they're keeping it positive!!

Stone -- woo-hoo for your run with strides!!

PAD -- have fun at the group workout!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Scotty: Nice picture. Lol.

DD has a XC meet today so I will try for a few miles tonight. I had a good massage yesterday. I had no less than SEVEN knots (I counted) in my left calf where the Achilles problem is. He said that knots can attach themselves and pull and tug on things so let's hope that was the cause of my trouble. I woke up today with it feeling a bit tender but that could be from the abuse I took at the massage.

See ya.

tracilynn

Scotty, that is sad. Didn't you lose your first wife and your baby to a drunk driver??

stone, have fun with the strides.

Pad, you gonna do S.H.I.T.( super high intensity training) today? Ha. I stole that from Jerry 

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Scotty- Such a nice way to turn around a very sad event.  Glad you got to participate again.

I am heading to yet another dentist appointment this morning.  Still not really that sore.  And, oddly enough, my hips feel better than they have in months. 

I am working on a RR, but you know that I tend to turn even 5K reports into War and Peace, so it's taking a while.  I apologize in advance for the length.  It's helpful for me to think everything through.  Hopefully it will be up by tonight or tomorrow.

tracilynn

Stupid phone locked up ad wouldn't let me finish. That is also why I never start threads either!  I'm lucky just to be able to type out ONE NORMAL SENTENCE. Grrr.

Hope, sorry about the lack if sleep. Sleep issues really mess up your whole day sometimes.

Jack, glad he got the knots worked out. Maybe that's all

it was?  That book  I'm reading talks a lot About tissue rebuilding after an injury and scar tissue and sticky tissues adhering and causing problems.

I tried to run last night and 1/2 mile into my run it started lightening like crazy and then raining buckets so I turned back and called it a day. Didn't feel like being a lightening rod. So I got 1 whole mile in. Ha. I did do my hip and glute stability exercise routine though.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Zel, glad the hips are feeling good.  I look forward to the RR. hope the dentist visit goes well.  Ypur dentist is a big runner , right?  Going to dental appts causes major anxiety for me!   How does your throat feel? Do you think the air was just really dry when you ran your Marathon?

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Traci, have a wonderful trip this weekend. If you have time, you guys should do the Chimney Tops trail. It's beautiful!!

I'm taking a rest day.

tracilynn

Traci, have a wonderful trip this weekend. If you have time, you guys should do the Chimney Tops trail. It's beautiful!!

I'm taking a rest day.

IF we have a good clear & dry day we will prob do Chimney tops but it looks like its going to be really rainy while we are there.  I don't wanna hike up that steep last mile just to see clouds.  ha

we also plan to do these hikes:  most of these are in Old Growth Forest and along creek beds

Little River trail (Cucumber gap trail)

Porter's creek trail

Baskins Creek Falls

we are going for 5 days

enjoy your rest day

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

Scotty - another great picture.  Good job on your early run.  Given the weather change, you were smart to do it early.  Back to summer for you.

Stonefence - I like doing strides and some fartleking, when I have the energy.  I can always tell how I'm doing by whether I want to do short fast or hilly bursts or not.  Some days, it's enough to drag myself home.

PAD - enjoy your group run tonight.  Speedwork or easy run?

Hopesmom - enjoy rehearsal tonight.  After yesterday's early start, your body wanted some zzzs.  Try again tomorrow?

Jack - Sounds like a good massage.  I hope tonight's miles go well.

Z - looking forward to the RR.  You have been an inspiration to me, because of your strong dedication and discipline in your training. I am not nearly as disciplined. I hope you figure out what caused the throat/breathing issue.  The vocal chord suggestion seems unlikely because you haven't had the problem before and the article you linked said that it starts right away, not two hours in.

Tracilynn - smart move turning around.  Lightning is not to be messed with.  Have fun in the Smokies.  The leaves should be just about prime right now.

Mitch - enjoy your RD.

AFM:  I'll do 5 or so easy this afternoon.

Zelanie

It was just a cleaning today, so I didn't expect to see the dentist at all, but he came outside afterwards to ask how it went. Smile He says his daughter has gotten a weird throat thing after a few of her races. In the mean time, the speech path at my school is looking up the vocal chord thing because she is young and curious about stuff.

My throat felt terrible yesterday. Not sore in the back, but sort of scratchy in the front, like right past my tongue, and I was still a bit hoarse.  Feels good today, though! So I guess that is promising.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins.

Zel, that's great that you're not too sore!  I'm eagerly awaiting your report.

Jack, hope you get the achilles problem worked out soon. Sad

Scotty, that's almost unbelievable - in their yard?  Crazy times we live in.

StoneFence, nice workout this morning!

Traci, have a great trip!

Ginny & Pad, enjoy your workouts tonight.

Hopesmom, have a lovely & inspiring rehearsal tonight (I picture your quartet as being lovely and inspiring!)

Mitch, enjoy the day off.

I ran 3.75 hilly miles this morning with a group.  Tried to keep up with the 80yo. (yes, he's 80 and he can lap me!)

(oh...just saw late updates on yesterday's thread...Obie & Jack, I am running the half marathon on Sunday)