Beginners and Beyond

Your retirement (Read 174 times)

happylily

As some of you know, I am tapering. Big grin I've been running little, and eating lots. So, please help me. I need to be entertained.

My question today: If money was no object (but not like you had millions, just enough for any project you might fancy), what would be your dream retirement (like in your 60ies), or pre-retirement (50ies), assuming you still need to generate a small income for yourself?

Would it be a B&B in some quaint coastal town? A little restaurant because you love cooking? Owning a small ranch with a few horses and giving riding lessons? Growing orchids in a greenhouse and selling them at the flea market?

As you can see, I've thought of a few things. But I can't cook, I can't ride horses, I don't like touching sheets that strangers have slept in, and, though I love plants, the flea market side doesn't sound very exciting to me. So, I've decided (and I even convinced SO as well), that after selling all of our investments in Canada, we're going to buy a farm in Belize and grow oranges, cashew trees and mahogany trees. I'll live barefoot most of the time and work alongside our 10 or so workers from the village nearby. I will grow my orchids directly on the trees all around my house. Every morning, very early (because of the heat), I will take some of the local girls/women with me and go for group runs. I will provide them all with new running shoes every time they need them. I will return to Canada every 6 months, for one month at a time, to keep my health insurance going, as the law requires. My grand-children (when I have them) will spend all their summers with me, swimming in the nearby river, with the village kids. I will learn how to speak Spanish and creole (though English is spoken everywhere there). I will spend one weekend per month on Ambergris Caye, in San Pedro, snorkeling and drinking Belikin beer. I will go hiking once a week in the jungle and conquer my fear of snakes. I will run the Placencia marathon every year and always finish first female, because there are only 15 participants on average in the race. Big grin

Okay, it's just a dream... But it's mine and I love dreaming it.

Now your turn, dream away and tell me about it, please! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Working at a bar around Lahaina sounds pretty good to me.

*edit* I get the gist of your post a lot better lily after rereading it. Smile Honestly doing most things in Hawai'i would be better than being a CEO in the Midwest. I picked Lahaina because it's on Maui, which is a fantastic island. When I visited with my wife for a vacation I thought to myself, "This is a place I could live every day and never complain." It's just paradise. So it's Hawai'i - a tourist destination. Guess what people do on vacation? They drink. That's why I thought even if I was retired I could bartend or do whatever else at a bar. Sounds like a reasonable income in a superb place. Another reason I went with Hawai'i is they have a fair amount of sporting events - whether it's Tri's or running events. Even though currently I'm only running I do see myself one day giving a triathlon a go. My imagination isn't quite a vivid as yours in the middle of the day when I have programming on the brain, unfortunately.

- Andrew

Dr. Cornsitter

I would be a professional student. I would take classes all the time and just learn EVERYTHING. And not just traditional classes, either. I'd take dance and cooking and painting and all different kinds of classes. And I would travel to learn more, too. And I would teach one or two classes, too, so that I could be giving back.

Oh and I'd have 347 children and be a SAHM. Not quite sure how that would all happen together, but hey it's my dream isn't it?

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

happylily

Working at a bar around Lahaina sounds pretty good to me.

Short on the descriptive pictures, but good enough. Big grin Sounds good to me! Especially if you own the bar!

happylily

I would be a professional student. I would take classes all the time and just learn EVERYTHING. And not just traditional classes, either. I'd take dance and cooking and painting and all different kinds of classes. And I would travel to learn more, too. And I would teach one or two classes, too, so that I could be giving back.

Oh and I'd have 347 children and be a SAHM. Not quite sure how that would all happen together, but hey it's my dream isn't it?

I love the permanent student thing and the travelling! But 347 children?! Hey... it's your dream! Big grin

Dr. Cornsitter

I love the permanent student thing and the travelling! But 347 children?! Hey... it's your dream! Big grin

Alright....maybe I exaggerated a bit. Maybe 2 or 3 more to add to the one I already have? Problem is finding a husband to created said children with, lol. Notice how THAT didn't even make it into the dream in the first place!

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Sounds like a fun retirement. I think it'd be great to own a B&B in some quiet place.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'd love to get more into my photography, make some money off of it, travel and run races all over the world.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

I was self employed in a prior life and while there were things about it that sucked like paying quarterly taxes to the feds, paying employees matching taxes, paying state taxes, paying local taxes, paying taxes on equipment, paying property taxes and basically getting taxed up the ass....and they wonder why more people are not business owners but anyway, I digress.  There were aspects of it that were very cool.

I could see myself owning a restaurant someday.  Creating meals is cool, as is cooking for others.  I enjoy meeting new people and just being in the company of laughter and good times in general is good for me.

Dr. Cornsitter

I was self employed in a prior life and while there were things about it that sucked like paying quarterly taxes to the feds, paying employees matching taxes, paying state taxes, paying local taxes, paying taxes on equipment, paying property taxes and basically getting taxed up the ass....and they wonder why more people are not business owners but anyway, I digress.  There were aspects of it that were very cool.

I could see myself owning a restaurant someday.  Creating meals is cool, as is cooking for others.  I enjoy meeting new people and just being in the company of laughter and good times in general is good for me.

Oh yeah! +1 for that, too Big grin

happylily

What would your specialty be? Also, would you give us, RA peeps, a discount on drinks and/or dessert? Big grin

LRB

What would your specialty be? Also, would you give us, RA peeps, a discount on drinks and/or dessert? Big grin

A bistro intrigues me, not specializing in any one area but taking something from a few different styles and perfecting a half dozen or so meals.

I would only do it as a hobby though, if I had to depend on the income to live then all bets are off.  I have seen that movie before, it does not end well.

And of course, anyone who addresses me as LRB drinks for free.  Everyone else would be like, what the hell is an LRB!

Village people

I haven't decided between a house on the Atlantic, probably in Cape Elziabeth, Maine or a condo in downtown Boston. I would have to be able to smell the salt air and hear a fog horn. I think I have spent all my imaginary money.

I would attend a local university and earn a degree in Creative Writing or English Literature.  I would write  two or three times a week column or blog regarding positive or uplifting stories.  I would also take a formal cooking class to enhance my meals which I cook for family and friends (I already cook 5x/week just by duplicating recipes found in cookbooks or  on the 'net).

I would be an active grandfather engaging the children in the arts, music, sports, and any outdoor activity.

Of course, with a daughter in nursing school, and two boys who will attend college soon, followed by a wedding to pay for somewhere down the line, my retirement may be awhile. Smile  Unless, I write that best selling novel, "The Happy Lilly Story" and some studio buys the movie rights to it.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Docket_Rocket

I would get bored at my house so it has to be enough money for me to go all over the world.  Doing marathons sound like a great idea.  Just vacationing and staying someplace for a few months before moving on sounds great too.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page