Beginners and Beyond

My upcoming races for April...we gotta register early in this town! (Read 42 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Here are my upcoming races for April I have now registered for.  Around here we have to register early or the price goes up. It's kinda nuts.  5K start out about 2 months before race date at $25. If you register a month before, it goes up about $5.  And for race day registration, yet another $5.  Crazy, huh? 

So I usually register early.  I'm not too worried about if something happens and I can't make it on Race Day.  All the local Race Directors know me and if I can't have make it, I just let them know and we have an agreement that they will give my entry to a local runner they know who is maybe having 'budget issues" and would like to do the race but just can't swing it right now; or they give it to one of the kids at a local nonprofit (like the local Boys Town, for example) who likes to run and would like to do the race. So even if I can't make it for some reason, the entry is still put to good use.

This year I have been trying to do races that I have not done in the past before, just to be different.  I will still do some of my 'old favorites" but not as many as I did last year.   After I finish the rest of March's races and then these in April that will give me 25 races done for the year so far.

April 1 - April Fools Day 5K, Ladybird Johnson Park, 6:30 PM

April 5 - Fiesta Especial 5K in Windcrest

April 12 - Providence to Pearl 5K at Pearl Brewery

April 13 - Sunday Funday 5K at Shavano Park

April 19 - Haven't made up my mind yet, probably Lockhart Stampede 5K; would do Fiesta Mission 10K, but I am SO not ready for a 10K

April 26, AM - Fight for Air 5K at SeaWorld 

April 26, PM - Fiesta Fandago Run, 2.6 miles along the Fiesta Flambeau Parade route - we start about 30 minutes before the parade floats start going - in front of THOUSANDS of cheering, screaming spectators.  Fun stuff!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Little Blue

I think you do more racing miles than I do training miles.

Our pricing structure is about the same.  Rarely much under $25, go up a bit on race day.

LRB

Around these parts the difference in price can be as much as 15 or 20 bucks for the shorter races, and double for half marathons and marathons!

Pricing structure and the increase as race  date approaches is similar here in metro Atlanta.

Likewise this Saturday and in April, I have chosen new-to-me 5K  and 10k races.

A woman whom I work with, is the race director for a 5K which benefits a local elementary school for the one in March.

The one in April was chosen purely on the course map which reminded me of the Family Circus Sunday comic and Billy's travails outside.

Cheerios 10 K Race map

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

GinnyinPA

Our 5ks races tend to go up at least $10, sometimes more. One of the nearby HMs starts at $58.50, then goes up to $65, then $75 and $85 on race day. Another goes from $50, to $60 and $70.  Our local club just offered two early bird entries for the price of one full entry - a HM and a 10k for $50.  Trouble is, they take place in December and next March. Since I end up injured every time I sign up for a race in advance, I'm passing on the cheap entries so I don't jinx all of the next year.  But it is so tempting to get the cheaper prices.  Paying an extra race day price with no t-shirt seems like adding insult to injury.  But I hate putting out money for races I don't run.  Worse, I hate getting injured before an anticipated race.

Little Blue

Pricing structure and the increase as race  date approaches is similar here in metro Atlanta.

Likewise this Saturday and in April, I have chosen new-to-me 5K  and 10k races.

A woman whom I work with, is the race director for a 5K which benefits a local elementary school for the one in March.

The one in April was chosen purely on the course map which reminded me of the Family Circus Sunday comic and Billy's travails outside.

Cheerios 10 K Race map

I wonder why they found it necessary to label every hydrant, pole and drain cover??  I love the Posts (2) right at the 10K finish.  As in, don't run into them?

Docket_Rocket

We have to register early here as well, or it would be either (1) too expensive or (2) full three before the race.  Great deals, Scotty.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Scotty, I see three Sundays there where you have not registered for a race.  What's the problem?

<3

Don't call me Buttercup!

Scotty, I see three Sundays there where you have not registered for a race.  What's the problem?

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My doctor told me to behave a bit more this year, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt