Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Haruki Murakami

PADRunner

Morning Penguins. 5 done this morning, maybe gym tonight if my knees agree.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.

Hope the knee is okay, PAD.

5 also planned for us this afternoon.  Gym still under construction.

It's Banana Lovers Day! Today we celebrate one of the most popular fruits in the world. Did you know that the average person eats about 33 pounds of bananas a year? That's approximately 100 individual bananas per person!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I could barely breathe during my 5 yesterday so I am planning to do my 5 today on the TM.  Weights afterwards.

PAD, take care of that knee.

Jerry, enjoy the 5.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Weather permitting I will likely try for a few miles tonight. It is still very hot and I'm ready for some cooler weather. Even 88 would be nice.

Happy Wednesday.

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  My workout went really well yesterday, plus I get to rest today!  The run put me over 200 miles for the month for the first time since March of 2013, so that's a real treat.  I've been wanting to get back to that level for a while, but kept falling just short, and didn't want to push things unnecessarily.

PAD- Hope you have some agreeable knees.

Jerry- Bananas, yum!

Hi, D!  In the humidity, I found that I had to adjust tempos and LRs for conditions, too.  Speedwork not as much, because it was over sooner.

Jack- Morning!  How is DW doing?

HsM- Nice job getting that walk in yesterday!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

5K route around the university campus this morning.  The Fall Semester started on Monday and you sure can tell.  The university gym is crowded again, traffic out the ying-yang all over the campus, and lots more runners out-and-about on the campus.  My summer on-campus 'quiet' running days are over for another year.

If your knees don't agree, PAD, then maybe just arms at the gym.

Yeah, Jerry, bananas, one fruit I actually do like!  And did you know you can recycle the banana peels?  Yep...save them and make some 'slippers'....

Good luck with your breathing today, Damaris.  IN......OUT........IN.....OUT.....IN....OUT.....very good grasshopper!     Seriously, hope your lungs behave for you today..and every day after today....

Hell, Jack, NINETY-EIGHT here would be welcome.   Yesterday we had our 16th 'over 100 degrees' day for the month of August.  This is really getting old.

Way to go on the 200 for the month, Zelanie!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  My meeting last night at church was interesting and not too frustrating, so that's all good, I guess.  I'm not sure the point I was trying to make actually got across, but I also have to remember that my opinion on things isn't the only opinion.  Darnitall.  And one of my sets of lights in my office isn't working, so I'm sitting here in the dim.  A work order has been placed.  I'll do a WAW this afternoon as long as I don't have pesky undergrads in my lab, then quartet rehearsal tonight!

PAD -- I'm not sure I agree that pain is inevitable.  I guess it depends on what the guy is talking about.  Woo-hoo for your 5, and hope your knees cooperate!!

Jerryb -- I hate hate hate loathe bananas.  Even the smell makes me gag.  Have a good 5!!

Docket -- hope the TM treats you kindly!!

Jack -- hope it cools down a little for you!!

Zelanie -- woo-hoo for your mileage and RD!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hiya, Scotty!!  Yeah, it's crazy around here too.  SO. MANY. PEOPLE!!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

6easy done. Still feeling a little sick.

Started on a learn French audio while running today. And also listen in it doing my easy run yday too. Made the hour fly by so fast but my pace slowed by abt 20sec per mile. Could be a good thing though.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning, pens!  My workout went really well yesterday, plus I get to rest today!  The run put me over 200 miles for the month for the first time since March of 2013, so that's a real treat.  I've been wanting to get back to that level for a while, but kept falling just short, and didn't want to push things unnecessarily.

PAD- Hope you have some agreeable knees.

Jerry- Bananas, yum!

Hi, D!  In the humidity, I found that I had to adjust tempos and LRs for conditions, too.  Speedwork not as much, because it was over sooner.

Jack- Morning!  How is DW doing?

HsM- Nice job getting that walk in yesterday!

I agree.  I actually said that in a further post last night.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

I hope your knees agree PAD.

Jerry- Mmmm bananas.

D- Humidity is the worst.  Still wondering how you manage in the sauna you call a State.

Jack- 88F is still ridiculous.

Z- congrats on the 200+

Scotty- at least there are more "legs" around campus.

HsM- Good for you getting those WAWs done.

Bin- Sorry you are under the weather.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Haha I posted this in the Tuesday thread. Apparently my mom was wrong about me, I'm not too bright 

Anyway....Hola penguins! Gonna try 2 miles on the TM after work and see how badly my IT band tightens up. Hopefully not too bad, I'm trying to ramp up slowly. Have fun training/resting everyone!

Singer who runs a smidge

Day 2 of sample processing.  Such fun!  I didn't tell my tech, but I am a little rusty at this.  I'm lucky it's only one sample!

Docket_Rocket

Day 2 of sample processing.  Such fun!  I didn't tell my tech, but I am a little rusty at this.  I'm lucky it's only one sample!

I can sense cynicism.

Damaris

Fundraising Page