Beginners and Beyond

It's Wednesday "Adventures With Zelanie in Costa Rica" Penguins (Read 39 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Zelanie, you had quite an adventure there yesterday!  Wonder what is in store for you today? You may be the Penguin Entertainment Channel for a while.  Everyone stay tuned!

Quote from Zelanie on 6/24/2014 at 4:49 PM:

Adventures in running, Tico style.

I was up and out super early to go to the track for my 6 x 800.  But after one rep I was pretty sure I was going to need to go to the bathroom, and there wasn't one available.  I suffered through two more intervals before I decided that I really needed to walk home.  No problem, I thought, somebody from the house is going to the gym at 7:30, maybe I'll go with her and see if I can join the gym there.

Then I heard that no, this isn't the type of gym where you can run, it's just for classes.  But there's another park in the other direction that has bathrooms.  Cool.

Meanwhile, I got a call that I needed to drop some paperwork off for one of the students at her school.  It was close, and I got directions and headed off on foot.  I got to where the school was supposed to be, and nobody had heard of it.  Lame.  Also, my phone isn't working, and hasn't been for over a day now.  But on the bright side, I must have been able to at least fake looking like I knew what I was doing, because somebody stopped to ask ME for directions!

I pull out the address of the family and ask somebody, and they think it might be in the next district over, maybe I should take the bus?  Instead I hop a taxi, we head over to where I had been directed at the store, but nobody there has heard of the school either.  Maybe it's the school where they wear red pants?  But of course I haven't been there, I don't know what kind of pants they wear.

So I end up using the taxi driver's phone to call the girl who is at school to find out where it is.  It's in a totally different part of town, maybe 15-20 minutes away.  Well, I've come this far, OK, Mr. Taxi driver, let's just go.

I got the the school, paid the driver, visit the girl, drop off the papers, and am on my way again.  I hop another taxi to get back home, and when I pay the second guy (the rate that the meter says, last guy wasn't using a meter), I realize I got ripped off last time- about double what it should have been!  I had no idea since it was my first taxi ride here.  Maybe it was a premium for driving around asking questions and using the guy's phone.  Hah!

So I get home and of course have to watch the Costa Rica team's world cup game.  A tie- enough for them to win their group, which is a great result.  Then there are lots of fireworks and stuff going off.  People are driving around all over the place with flags and horns.

Then it's time for lunch.  And I still haven't gotten my second run in.  I was short in miles yesterday, that is NOT going to happen today!

So I headed out just a little while after lunch.  It was about a mile to the other park, down a very busy street.  I get there and I am trying to do my last 3 intervals, but I keep running in to dead ends, huge broken bits of sidewalk, hills and bridges, people on bikes and sidewalks blocking the path, etc.  So at least I did 3 "hard" intervals, but I very rarely had good footing and level ground.

A scope of the area revealed one set of locked bathrooms with a sign that said it costs the equivalent of 50 cents to use them, but no clear way to pay.  There is a police station next door with some policemen outside shoveling gravel, but I am NOT going to go ask them how to get in to the bathrooms!  Especially since I don't even have to go, I was just scouting.  There IS a Burger King nearby, that may be an option. Smile

I got home and found out that yes, the gym does apparently have treadmills, so that might work.  I've been invited to come to a class with somebody from my house tomorrow, so maybe I'll scope out that option while I'm there.  There is another gym in the other direction, but close to the track.  That might be a nice one because I can start my run outside, and just head in to the gym if I need to.

Now it is pouring down rain, so I'm chilling.  I am supposed to be calling all of the students to check in on them, but my phone is not working.  The guy here who is supposed to fix them supposedly just went to do that.  Maybe that is where he went.  If they're still not working tomorrow, I can head downtown to see if I can come up with something myself.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Cherie, I sure hope that's YOUR great legs in your new avatar that I saw yesterday.  Very nice!  If  it's your husband's....tell him to quit shaving his legs! 

Kick ass in court, Damaris!

I got up this morning at 5 a.m., went to the university I work for, and did a run/walk around the campus, using my hill route.   3.2 miles, 5 hills of varying sizes along the way.  I don't usually run two days in a row, but with my new work hours - 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 pm. - I have plenty more time now to do stuff in the morning and to cool down post-run.  I sweat so much it takes me FOREVER to cool down, so having the extra time is nice.  About a half-mile into my outing, thunder began booming and lightning began flashing, but no rain.    But because of the thick air, etc, it was VERY humid....the air was stickier than a frog's tongue on a cinnamon bun. I was QUITE drenched in sweat by the time I finished. And right when I  did finish, just as I got back to the gym door, THEN it opened up like crazy, rain coming down so hard you couldn't even see across the street.  So thank you, Mother Nature, for your good timing.  I'm at work now, and it's still pouring down.  Quite a light show outside too where I am.

Docket_Rocket

Morning. I am in court all day. Pilates and maybe some

miles later.

Z, it looks like one of Scotty's adventures!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

3 this morning before the sun and gym tonight.

Brilliant

Zelanie, it sounds like you are having a great adventure, I can't wait to hear more as your trip continues!

Scotty, your weather is always exciting.  We are Texans but moved to the West coast when our kids were very small; I'm not sure if they even remember thunder!  Weather in CA is always same-same. Smile

Cherie, don't flirt with any strange guys at the gym today. Smile

Damaris, have a great day in court/pilates/running etc.

PADrunner, hope it was a nice run.

SRD for me.  My daughter leaves for the UK today for a month-long program through her university. So I'm going to make her breakfast instead of running.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I spent a little time this morning organizing pics for chorus and getting them off my phone, so I'm a little late checking in.  But my new shoes are set to be delivered today, so that's all good!  I should get to try them on tonight, though I won't get to do any running until Saturday, or possibly Friday.  Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

scottydawg -- glad you're going to enjoy your new hours!  It definitely gives you more time for morning runs!

Docket -- good luck in court and Pilates!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 3, and enjoy the gym!!

Brilliant -- have a good SRD, and best of luck to your daughter!!

I'm also anxiously awaiting the next installment of The New Adventures of Zelanie!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

on my way to badass

Morning Penguins!

Scotty-  Thanks for starting us off.  Congrats on getting smiled on by Mother Nature.

DR- Good luck in court today.

Z- Looking forward to more adventures!

Brilliant- What did you make for breakfast?

PAD- I hope you enjoyed your 3.

HsM- Woot!   New Shoes!

AFM- I was supposed to have a preliminary workout with a training partner tonight, but I am not sure its going to happen.  I can take a RD.  Update on my bear story from Monday.  I went back out on that route and measured the distance between me and the bear(used my Garmin).  He was about 350 yards from me.  Whew. Tuesday was a pretty speedy 3 miles with negative splits on the road where the wildlife was spotted.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning...

Never did run yesterday, so went to the gym instead.  Much cooler today, so we will strive for 5 this afternoon.

Scotty, I misread your post and thought you said "kiss ass in court" to Rocket.

Have a great "H" Day.

Docket_Rocket

Good Morning...

Never did run yesterday, so went to the gym instead.  Much cooler today, so we will strive for 5 this afternoon.

Have a great "H" Day.

Sorry. That would be the other way around. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Hi everyone.  I'm participating in a customer visit today (our customer visiting us), so it was a late start / will be a late end to the workday.  I want to run before work tomorrow, so I think tonight will be a ride or yoga.  My legs are not in good enough shape for two runs in less than 12 hours.

Zel -- loved reading about your Costa Rica adventures!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

4.5 miles done with DD on the same trail as yesterday. Now we are off to get a big breakfast at my favorite place up here, the Grizzly Manor Cafe. Massive pancakes! Second time in four days but who's counting?

Bin Running

Finally, 4M easy done after abt 10 days.. Was asked to join a corporate relay of 20K. 6 pax. 2.5K x 4 and 5K x 2. Not sure which leg I would be assigned yet.. 19Jul. Not much time to train for it.. Tongue

Cherie, yes.. we are on same team but I am slacking big time.. Welcome.. I wasn't sure it was you when I saw your name on FB. Hope's mom is on our team too.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good Morning...

Have a great "H" Day.

Well, that would probably get her a win too! 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hi everyone.  I'm participating in a customer visit today (our customer visiting us), so it was a late start / will be a late end to the workday.  I want to run before work tomorrow, so I think tonight will be a ride or yoga.  My legs are not in good enough shape for two runs in less than 12 hours.

Zel -- loved reading about your Costa Rica adventures!

I dunno, Margo...from past photos I've seen of you, I think you're legs are in damn good shape!