Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins Know Not To Smoke The Mistletoe! (Read 226 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins! 

A great big Welcome to Nightcrawler! 

Congrats again to all our racers!

Yesterday I went on an all most 2 hour long bike ride. Trying to figure out how to dress in this weather is a challenge. I definitely overdressed but just by a little. It felt really good to do some serious cardio again. Today will be the weight machines at the gym.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Good morning!  You're doing a great job of keeping active. 

AFM - I've got 6 on the schedule this evening.  This week I'll be adding my long run back in.  That will bring me to 48 mpw.  If it starts to feel like a bit too much, I'll shorten up a run.  Since I've started running every day, I've noticed that if I need a rest I only need to cut my miles for a day.  That's pretty cool.  I think 40-48 miles is going to be my magic number for a while.  I'd like to maintain that as my base going into my training program for my first half marathon of the year.  After that first HM, I plan to take a week off and then start Phase I (base building) over again working toward my first full marathon in November. 

I know that's a long training plan for a marathon, but it's going to be my biggest race of 2013 and the result will be better times in all of my races anyway.  I was pleasantly surprised this weekend when I plugged my 5K time into the pace calculators, and saw that my new HM projections are under 2 hours.  Knowing that I can PR a 5K while maintaining such high mileage, and with all easy paced runs really helps with my patience as a runner.  I don't feel the need to constantly look for the next or newest speed workout to add to my week. 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  SRD for me.  Migraine is gone but I still have the buzzing headache that comes afterwards.  Must.Do.Coffee.

At least I leave work at noon.  Yay.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Gustav - Good morning!  You're doing a great job of keeping active. 

AFM - I've got 6 on the schedule this evening.  This week I'll be adding my long run back in.  That will bring me to 48 mpw.  If it starts to feel like a bit too much, I'll shorten up a run.  Since I've started running every day, I've noticed that if I need a rest I only need to cut my miles for a day.  That's pretty cool.  I think 40-48 miles is going to be my magic number for a while.  I'd like to maintain that as my base going into my training program for my first half marathon of the year.  After that first HM, I plan to take a week off and then start Phase I (base building) over again working toward my first full marathon in November. 

I know that's a long training plan for a marathon, but it's going to be my biggest race of 2013 and the result will be better times in all of my races anyway.  I was pleasantly surprised this weekend when I plugged my 5K time into the pace calculators, and saw that my new HM projections are under 2 hours.  Knowing that I can PR a 5K while maintaining such high mileage, and with all easy paced runs really helps with my patience as a runner.  I don't feel the need to constantly look for the next or newest speed workout to add to my week. 

You will soon find that your running history is also determinative in how your marathon will go.  So, put as many miles as you can and be consistent, even before training starts.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

His Slowness

Gustav - thanks for getting us started.  You've inspired me.  I may try to get the bike out tomorrow for a little variety.

Awood - enjoy your run this evening.  

Damaris - I'm glad the migraine is gone.

AFM - I got in my usual 3 this morning at my normal glacial pace.  

Happy Monday!

Bill

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Damaris - I hope your head feels better soon.  Hooray for half days though.  This time of year sucks in my industry.  I'll spend all day today trying to set appointments with people who have office parties, vacation time, etc.  Every other sales rep on the planet is doing the same thing I'm doing, and we're all competing for 30 minutes of time from the same darn people.  Ugh.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll be forever grateful to those who encouraged me to drop to the half marathon this year.  I was definitely not ready for a marathon yet, and I had so much fun with the half.  I really want my first marathon to be that kind of experience.  I know it's going to mean that much more to me, but I've seen so many of those threads that start out, "my first and last marathon", or, "I'll never run again".  I prefer the, "THAT WAS THE MOST AMAZING EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE".

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - thanks for getting us started.  You've inspired me.  I may try to get the bike out tomorrow for a little variety.

Awood - enjoy your run this evening.  

Damaris - I'm glad the migraine is gone.

AFM - I got in my usual 3 this morning at my normal glacial pace.  

Happy Monday!

Bill

Good morning Bill!  Awesome job getting the early start.  Keep up the consistency.  It will pay some big dividends.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!!

Gustav, thanks for starting us off, great job on the bike ride!

Awood, sounds like a good plan, I think building a strong base is the key to any successful plan.

Damaris, glad the migraine is gone, get some coffee! Smile

AFM, 8 miles done this morning.  Day 27 of the holiday streak complete, 204 miles straight so far. Big grin

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks Dave!  Congrats on the streak! 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Morning Penguins!

I had a whole workout planned this morning. When I woke up I felt a little sluggish, but pushed it off anyway. Got ready, was feeling better. Got outside and started running ... then BAM!!!! Allergies kick in. Headache, nose running, coughing, sinus pressure. Cry It happens every time it rains around here. I should have known better when I got up and it was raining outside. So after 1.5 miles, I gave up. Wasn't worth trying to kill myself over.

Gustav -- Good luck at the gym! Great job on the bike ride yesterday!

Awood -- GM! Good luck on your 6 this evening!

Docket -- Hope you feel better!

Bill -- Good luck on your 3 miles!

BAMF -- Great job on getting in 8 miles. WOW those are a lot of miles for one month!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Gustav- Great job on the 2 hour bike ride! Dressing int the winter is tricky for me still as well. And just when I will think I have it down pat, I will swing and miss! I guess it just takes experience. I find that I end up being comfortable wearing less than the vast majority of other people I see out on any given day, especially at races. This surprises me, because I'm the type of person who is "always cold." Next winter hopefully it will be easier!

Awood- Sounds like you have a good plan. I'm glad that you opted for the half and had a great experience. You have a solid training plan for your first full, and I'm sure if all goes as planned it will be amazing for you too!

Docket- Enjoy your rest. I hope your head feels better!

Bill- Nice job on the 3. Nothing wrong with a glacial pace, especially on this thread!

AFM- Nothing today but rest, Aleve, and Bengay because muscles I didn't even know I had are sore! But back to the grind tomorrow. I have registered for another 10K on January 26th. I need to make a decision about what I want to do for training. I don't have experience yet training for 2 races of the same distance in a row. I had 2 5Ks in a row, but I was training for yesterday's 10K when I ran the 2nd 5K, and not specifically training for a 5K. I've gotten some input from people on the forum, and I think what I am going to do is basically stick to the plan I've been following (2 shorter runs during the week and a long run on the weekends) with the following modifications, let me know what you think:

* Get a few long runs in there above 6 miles. My previous plan worked on slowly building me up to take me from being able to only run a 5K distance to getting myself to the 10K distance. But now that I've ran 6.2, I would like to get more experience covering that distance. I think it will help my confidence and ability to pace myself during the next race

* More hills. I know my next race has a pretty decent hill. The course has 2 loops of the park, so we will encounter that hill twice, right in the beginning and then right in the middle.

* I want to add a 4th run in there soon, I think this will help me with base building to train for a half down the line. I think I will do this by increasing the distance of my during the week runs slightly, and then grabbing a mile off each of them and doing an additional 2 mile run one week, to keep the weekly milage similar. Is this the best way to add a day?

* Maybe dabbling in some speedwork?? What would you guys say is the best beginner speedwork. Progressive run? Fartlek? Tempo run? This is really new to me

Have a good Monday!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Rach - Sometimes the sluggish feeling is your body's way of warning you.  We all know how hard you work, and one run being cut short isn't going to kill you.  Have a great day, and don't stress about your run this morning.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Rachel and Dave you snuck in.

Dave your streak is very impressive! How are you feeling in general with no rest days? I know you appear to be a machine, but I am *fairly* certain you may still be human haha.

.Rachel- Ugh that sounds awful. Sorry you had such a rough go of it this morning. Hope your allergies calm down.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Good morning friends. I am on the phone, so no personals. I knocked out 8 this am. I think I set a 5k pr on my last 3.1 miles. Not sure if that counts as a PR, but the only other time I went under 30 min for a 5k was on the dreadmill, so not sure if that counts either Smile . I didn't realize until yesterday that this is my last real week of marathon training and then I start to taper. Make today great, Tomas

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas