Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins Know Not To Smoke The Mistletoe! (Read 226 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Welcome to the Colony, nightcrawler!

Enjoy the SRD, Mike!

Sounds like nasty weather, Zelanie, yuk.  I am trying to convince myself to behave and rest today but I can see out of the big window by my desk at my office that it is flippin' beautiful outside right now...sunny, blue skies, cotton candy clouds...and the outside thermometer reads 74 degrees right now!  Sweet.  Is it really December?  Big grin

Gee, HsM, if you're going swimming and it's raining anyway...well, just go running, you're still gonna get wet either way, right?  Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

When I swim, it's just me and whoever else is using the pool and some lifeguards.  When I run around here, it's me by myself being accosted by some guy, every freaking time.  I feel safe swimming at my gym.  Not so much running around this place ...

Swimming makes me smile.  Approve

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks to people who have given input on my training plan!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

One Half So Far

Hey, y'all. I'm still alive. Kinda. Busier than the proverbial rooster, etc.

Ran a 5K on thanksgiving day. 26:34 PR by 4 minutes. Considering I had to stop for almost a minute to tie my shoe, I guess I can't complain.

Am doing a 10K on New Year's morning, and am planning for 3 HMs next year. Seems like the logical progression.

Was hoping to get 500 miles for the year, but will be just a little short. With the rain and the short days, running in the evening is a problem. Ah well.

Good to see folks again. Will try to post here more regularly.

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

SheCan

Hi everyone!  Hope everyone had a good weekend.  

Awood, Zelanie, great reports and congratulations on your PRs.   Scotty, I still need to check yours out soon.  

I did a really slow 15 mile run today, because I'm wanting to sign up for a marathon in mid-Feb.  I'm hoping my mileage is good enough that a shortened training plan will work.   We'll see.  I'm giving it until the end of the year before I decide for sure.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

Kristin, Couple questions so I'm clear. Are you currently running 3 days/wk, 2 shorter and one longer run? What is the distance of the shorter runs? What are the distances of the longer run? And what was the training cycle you just completed, 10, 12 weeks?

I got my intervals done, 5 x 1000's at 8:00 pace, then 2 x 200's at 7:00 pace, maybe we call them last two strides, or is that too long? Thr run ended at 5.22 miles.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

RD for us today after yesterday's 10.  Hope we can get outside tomorrow for a short or medium run.  We have no plan, except working our way to the big 13 !!!! 

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Mitch - nice intervals, you speedy thing!  Anything at 7:00 is incomprehensible to me.

hog4life

Mitch - nice intervals, you speedy thing!  Anything at 7:00 is incomprehensible to me.

Liz, they hurt like hell, maybe they will get easier some day(but I doubt it). 

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I just got my miles in for the night.  That puts the streak at 136 miles.  Woohoo!!!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Miss you all! I haven't had time to really keep up with you. No running today since the sis-in-law just got here! I'm bringing her to the gym with me tomorrow tho!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Bin Running

Chatty bunch today. Srd for me today. Will try to catch up on personal later.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Kristin, Couple questions so I'm clear. Are you currently running 3 days/wk, 2 shorter and one longer run? What is the distance of the shorter runs? What are the distances of the longer run? And what was the training cycle you just completed, 10, 12 weeks?

I followed the Hal Higdon Novice 10K plan. It was an 8 week plan. The last non-race week week of the plan (week 7) was a 2 mile run, a 3 mile run, and a 5.5 mile long run. That was the week of the plan highest in overall milage, and with the longest LR. I have 6 weeks til my next 10K. This week is a recovery week from Sunday, and the week leading up to the next race I want to cut back a bit/taper. I had kind of a forced taper before this past race where I felt so sick and low energy in the days before the race I missed 2 runs. It ended up working in my favor. While I don't plan on not running at all the week before my next race if the universe doesn't deal me a bad hand again, but I think cutting down the milage and slowing my pace during that week would be in my best interest. Therefore, I have 4 weeks in between that I want to figure out what to do with.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone. Just sitting here at work. Cold has finally gotten better, think I am going to head out tomorrow and get a little run in and see how it feels.

Also a bit depressed these past few days, have had a lot on my mind and really been missing some friends of mine that I haven't spoke to in a while. One of those things where your not sure if there is something that has come between you and your not really sure how to go about finding out so you just keep letting the time go by and not doing anything about it???

Anyways, hope everyone had a good day, I'm up for another 8 hours so should be able to get a lot of reading/catching up done Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

I followed the Hal Higdon Novice 10K plan. It was an 8 week plan. The last non-race week week of the plan (week 7) was a 2 mile run, a 3 mile run, and a 5.5 mile long run. That was the week of the plan highest in overall milage, and with the longest LR. I have 6 weeks til my next 10K. This week is a recovery week from Sunday, and the week leading up to the next race I want to cut back a bit/taper. I had kind of a forced taper before this past race where I felt so sick and low energy in the days before the race I missed 2 runs. It ended up working in my favor. While I don't plan on not running at all the week before my next race if the universe doesn't deal me a bad hand again, but I think cutting down the milage and slowing my pace during that week would be in my best interest. Therefore, I have 4 weeks in between that I want to figure out what to do with.

OK, that helps. After you recover, and if you feel okay, then I would at least try to continue with the same pattern. I like what awood and others have said, so I'll try not to repeat things. You should definitely try to add the 4th day, and make the 2nd day in a row as recovery(very slow). If you are a bit nervous about doing multiple days in a row, then I suggest taking it short, like plan for only a 2 miler. As far as the speed work, I wouldn't worry about anything structured until you feel up to it and/or get your base up to support it. One thing that was not mentioned, is fartleks. Run faster between 2 telephone poles, or 2 mailboxes, and then go back to your normal pace, then repeat after you recover a bit. I would be cautious starting any type of structured speed work, this is what gave me a setback, along with me being stubborn. If you feel something starting to ache, stop, or at least slow back down. Another thing that happened to me, was that sometimes my runs(as I was increasing distance, base, or speed work), is that the run would just fall to pieces. So what I'm trying to say, is expect some bad runs as you start to pick things up. There's always tomorrow. If you can do the LR of 5.5 now, then continue, but I like the idea of slowly extending it. There were a lot of days that I planned 5, but couldn't make it. Now, 5 miles is my "regular" run.

Keep asking questions and posting how things are going. There is such great help here, and everyone's experience is different. Just because I can do it, doesn't mean you can, or vice versa.

Hope this helps.