Beginners and Beyond

My First 1 Mile Race: I Stunk (Read 155 times)

Dude! You cannot be disappointed with any first go, no matter what happens you learn a ton & will be better prepared for the next time.

And two races in a day, whatever the distances? Just sick.

Plus if we ever run into each other at a race somewhere around Motown, I want to hear you go off in the forum about how beautiful I am. Wink

Dave

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Sounds like a great day of racing.  Sure, you're going to work to improve on this or that, but don't we always do that?  If I know you, there's a great meal in the works somewhere to celebrate too.  I'll be looking for pictures of the post-race meal.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

Dude, I wouldn't even begin to know how to tackle a mile race!   Now that you have it under your belt, I guarantee you'll be more confident going in and it'll translate to closer to what you envision.   Sometimes knowing what to expect is half the battle!

LRB

Dude, I wouldn't even begin to know how to tackle a mile race!   Now that you have it under your belt, I guarantee you'll be more confident going in and it'll translate to closer to what you envision.   Sometimes knowing what to expect is half the battle!

So true!

For as much distress and discomfort I was in, for as seemingly long as I was in it, it was suddenly over.  Weirdest thing ever!

April, imagine taking all of the energy and fitness you normally would reserve for a 12 mile long run, and instead pouring it into one mile.  One word for that, exhilarating!

Dave, a short time ago I would have laughed out loud at the thought of racing two events back to back!  Honestly though, Doing 2 mile repeats at "I" pace or 200's, 400's or 800's at "R" pace preps you for it.

Awood, nothing special on the menu for today.  Mostly fruit and pasta so far (not in that order), I am however, planning on my first squig of wine tomorrow in nearly three months after my long run.  I may pass the F out after one glass lol!

Wish someone would say i was "smooth".

Great day of racing and learning. Great job Sir.

Red or white wine tonight?

I was complimented twice on how "smooth" and/or "effortless" my stride looked after the race.  I mean, that doesn't win me any age group bling, but I have worked extremely hard on my form and learing how to run loose and relaxed.  That a couple of my peers took notice was kind of cool, I suppose.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

B-Plus

I have no comments on the 1-miler, since I haven't had my cherry popped yet, but I imagine that's how it would feel.

Just to clarify, I was referring to my mile cherry. Congrats again.

LRB

Just to clarify, I was referring to my mile cherry. Congrats again.

Phew!  I was thinking poor guy.  ; )

Spark, you sure as hell look smooth in that race pic you posted earlier in the week!

Phew!  I was thinking poor guy.  ; )

Spark, you sure as hell look smooth in that race pic you posted earlier in the week!

Awe, shucks. Thanks LRB.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

delicate flower

A 44:07 10K after hammering out a one mile race sounds a pretty solid day at the office to me.  Thanks for the RR.  I'm kind of interested in trying a mile race myself so it was interesting to read how yours went.

<3

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Isn't the mile FUN???!!!!!  It is my favorite distance!!!!  I agree with the others--you really don't know what your PR is until you've gotten some experience in actually racing the mile.  It is its own animal.  It took me three tries in a month time span to properly execute it.  I have no doubt that for all 3 races, I HAD the speed to go sub-6:00, but I just didn't race it the right way.  You're SO close to sub-6:00, that I guarantee you are in exactly the same space that I was.  Now that you've gotten it out of your system, I bet you will nail it in one of the next few times you run it (be patient and realize you may not properly execute the next try, either.  But you do learn with each time, and it seems easier to adjust and correct with a mile than with other distances, at least for me it seems that way).  Big congrats, seriously, be proud!

And awesome 10K PR! Smile Smile

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Docket_Rocket

Depends who you ask because my answer would be HELL NO!  Haha!

Isn't the mile FUN???!!!!!  It is my favorite distance!!!!  I agree with the others--you really don't know what your PR is until you've gotten some experience in actually racing the mile.  It is its own animal.  It took me three tries in a month time span to properly execute it.  I have no doubt that for all 3 races, I HAD the speed to go sub-6:00, but I just didn't race it the right way.  You're SO close to sub-6:00, that I guarantee you are in exactly the same space that I was.  Now that you've gotten it out of your system, I bet you will nail it in one of the next few times you run it (be patient and realize you may not properly execute the next try, either.  But you do learn with each time, and it seems easier to adjust and correct with a mile than with other distances, at least for me it seems that way).  Big congrats, seriously, be proud!

And awesome 10K PR! Smile Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

Jeeze... you are hard on yourself... You did great in your first 1 miler! It's a weird distance and it requires some practice. For a first, you did very well. And then a PR in the 10k, with an awesome finish time! Awesome! Great racing, LRB!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

@runjerseygirl

That's an impressive mile, Rick.  Don't sell yourself short.  I know your goal was sub-6:00, but FWIW, I think you did awesome.  Nice work. Smile

Do you even run?

tinman11

Isn't the mile FUN???!!!!!  It is my favorite distance!!!!  I agree with the others--you really don't know what your PR is until you've gotten some experience in actually racing the mile.  It is its own animal.  It took me three tries in a month time span to properly execute it.  

I've never raced this distance but it sounds like a real challenge.

I'm also thinking how funny it will be when my non runner friends ask how far I'm racing and I say 1 mile.  That would throw them a curve for sure.

This has been an interesting thread and now I have a new challenge to think about.......

Good job LRB!

Coastal

Good job, and great RR.